Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamilton area transit
The mess continues in Hamilton. Last week, after a day-long meeting that was supposed to lead to a vote on whether to add a station at Bay Street, and to reaffirm support for LRT, the vote was instead to defer that vote until later this month.

It's still very possible that Hamilton blows it like Brampton did the Hurontario line.

Tonight's council meeting is still going strong.

I have to tap out - will be curious to see if they ended up voting tonight, or deferring.
After a lengthy and fruitless council session last week, the lengthy and fruitless council session tonight resulted in... another deferral. April 28 is (hopefully!) the actual deciding vote.
A good decision, I think - as Kate points out on twitter, making hundred-year decisions after double-digit hour long meetings never ends well (coughBramptoncough).
(04-20-2017, 07:42 AM)Canard Wrote: A good decision, I think - as Kate points out on twitter, making hundred-year decisions after double-digit hour long meetings never ends well (coughBramptoncough).

Hamilton has already decided to build the LRT. The objections now are just pure political pandering and grandstanding based on lies and falsehoods. There is not at this point a good-faith debate to be held. City council should simply approve the environmental report and move on (unless there are legitimate issues with the report that should be corrected before moving to the next step).

On the other hand, if the alternative was a no vote this week, then deferral is great. I assume the antis, or most of them, know they are pandering, so maybe they can be convinced that doing the right thing won’t cost them their job at the next election.

Just to be clear, it’s possible in general to be legitimately anti-LRT (or anti- any particular project), but not in good faith in a city council vote in Hamilton right now at this particular point in this particular process.
(04-20-2017, 08:54 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Hamilton has already decided to build the LRT. The objections now are just pure political pandering and grandstanding based on lies and falsehoods. There is not at this point a good-faith debate to be held. City council should simply approve the environmental report and move on (unless there are legitimate issues with the report that should be corrected before moving to the next step).

On the other hand, if the alternative was a no vote this week, then deferral is great. I assume the antis, or most of them, know they are pandering, so maybe they can be convinced that doing the right thing won’t cost them their job at the next election.

Just to be clear, it’s possible in general to be legitimately anti-LRT (or anti- any particular project), but not in good faith in a city council vote in Hamilton right now at this particular point in this particular process.

Some politicians are grandstanding because there will be municipal elections next year.  And they're afraid.  Most of my extended family live in Hamilton and not one supports the LRT.  Most live on the mountain and see no benefits of an LRT below the mountain.
(04-20-2017, 09:22 AM)jgsz Wrote: Some politicians are grandstanding because there will be municipal elections next year.  And they're afraid.  Most of my extended family live in Hamilton and not one supports the LRT.  Most live on the mountain and see no benefits of an LRT below the mountain.

Even if they don't - the province is paying for it. What's the point of objecting?

(04-20-2017, 09:32 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 09:22 AM)jgsz Wrote: Some politicians are grandstanding because there will be municipal elections next year.  And they're afraid.  Most of my extended family live in Hamilton and not one supports the LRT.  Most live on the mountain and see no benefits of an LRT below the mountain.

Even if they don't - the province is paying for it. What's the point of objecting?

My brother says it's the taxpayers who pay for it, not the province, since the money comes from taxes.
(04-20-2017, 09:39 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 09:32 AM)KevinL Wrote: Even if they don't - the province is paying for it. What's the point of objecting?

My brother says it's the taxpayers who pay for it, not the province, since the money comes from taxes.

But mostly not Hamilton taxpayers ...
(04-20-2017, 09:39 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 09:32 AM)KevinL Wrote: Even if they don't - the province is paying for it. What's the point of objecting?

That's such a frustratingly mindless refrain.
(04-20-2017, 09:55 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 09:39 AM)jgsz Wrote: My brother says it's the taxpayers who pay for it, not the province, since the money comes from taxes.

Facts don't matter to those who have made up their minds.  (Think of Trump's America.)
Any bets on the outcome of today's council meeting? They are at 26 hours and two deferrals already. Six of 16 councilors have declared support, others opposed or undecided.

1. Approve
2. Reject
3. Defer

As a bonus, predict the meeting length within a 60-minute margin of error. Smile
Defer.

(04-20-2017, 09:55 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 09:39 AM)jgsz Wrote: My brother says it's the taxpayers who pay for it, not the province, since the money comes from taxes.

But he’s consistent, right? I mean, he’s opposed to expressway and road widening projects, too, right?
(04-26-2017, 12:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Any bets on the outcome of today's council meeting?  They are at 26 hours and two deferrals already.  Six of 16 councilors have declared support, others opposed or undecided.

1. Approve
2. Reject
3. Defer

As a bonus, predict the meeting length within a 60-minute margin of error. Smile

Defer, three hours.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »