Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WRPS HQ project (200 Frederick St, Kitchener)
So now the question will be, what best to do with the old police building?

The region may need the office space (this is much more conventional layout than the old courthouse). But if not, it will be much easier to find a buyer for this building.
Will WRPS keep the orange intestine?!
Here is the council report:
http://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Coun...df#page=49
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(04-22-2017, 12:15 AM)clasher Wrote: Will WRPS keep the orange intestine?!

Personally, I think it looks more like what comes out of the intestine.
The report indicates that the two art works (there's one inside the building as well) are included in the sale of the building, so I imagine the question will be WHERE rather than WHETHER to keep "Aporia".  The conversion of the current police building to Regional offices could offer a terrific opportunity to get rid of the parking area out back, something I would have liked to see happen as part of the KPL project.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around $42 million in renovations for the new facility vs. $60 million in renovations had they stayed put.

The Waterloo north division was $18.6 million brand new (2013 dollars) and Maple Grove was $15.7 (1991 dollars).

$42M is the total cost, including the purchase of the property. The referenced doc has a breakdown.

I expect the $60M figure included a significant space expansion. How big is the Waterloo division building?
The Waterloo (north division) building is 45,000 sq ft.

The current Kitchener (central division) building is 42,000 sq ft.

The future Kitchener (central division) building would be 87,000 sq ft expandable to 100,000 sq ft.

The property acquisition was $6.4million of the $42 million. That leaves $35.6 million for renovations ($7.6 million for the retrofit and $28 million for outfitting). That seems like a lot for outfitting a building; even if the equipment is specialized. Would they not have equipment they could just move?

If I understand page 56 correctly there would be $118 million in longer-term savings because other planned enhancements and expansions could be accommodated in this facility instead?
http://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Coun...df#page=56
(04-22-2017, 12:15 AM)clasher Wrote: Will WRPS keep the orange intestine?!

I think any, IIRC, any building requires "a work of art", and that wonderful orange piece of bowel intestine could be considered 'art' are defined by some artists. Therefore, the region can save money by keeping the 'art'.

Regardless, I'm taking a picture of it with my kids, just in case the police decide to replace it with something.
New construction is way cheaper than modifications to something like the courthouse. Who knows if there is asbestos or other kinds of stuff that needs remediation. It still seems really high though.`
(04-22-2017, 10:37 PM)jeffster Wrote: I think any, IIRC, any building requires "a work of art", and that wonderful orange piece of bowel intestine could be considered 'art' are defined by some artists. Therefore, the region can save money by keeping the 'art'.

There is no question that it's art.  But there are very, very few people who like all art, most people have fairly strong preferences or opinions.  Some art is polarizing, provoking or even offensive -- and sometimes intentionally.  But it's still art. Smile
Indeed, and (even) "Aporia" does have its defenders. Personally, I never had any problem with the form of the sculpture, its location, or its colour. I have more of an issue with the "patina" that it developed over the years. To me, it looks like neglect, but I assume that is as the artist intended, or if not at least the artist has never complained about its condition, afaik. But certainly for the local majority, who's appreciation of public art stops at "pretty", this was/is never going to be a popular piece.

Absolutely adore the building, absolutely adore Aporia. This is fantastic news! I take a picture of it almost every time I go by.

The only thing I'm going to be sad about is seeing the sans-serif 80's-era "Ontario" fonts going away, and being replaced with tacky Regional logos and stuff everywhere.
(04-23-2017, 12:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-22-2017, 10:37 PM)jeffster Wrote: I think any, IIRC, any building requires "a work of art", and that wonderful orange piece of bowel intestine could be considered 'art' are defined by some artists. Therefore, the region can save money by keeping the 'art'.

There is no question that it's art.  But there are very, very few people who like all art, most people have fairly strong preferences or opinions.  Some art is polarizing, provoking or even offensive -- and sometimes intentionally.  But it's still art. Smile

I couldn't agree more with you. I don't have an artistic bone in my body but, art is meant to inspire, it sometimes tells a story, it causes discussion. This art my not be beautiful, but it is ever so interesting and we should be proud that it is there. I hope the region leaves it as is. It is a part of our history.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »