Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WRPS HQ project (200 Frederick St, Kitchener)
(04-23-2017, 08:52 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-23-2017, 12:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote: There is no question that it's art.  But there are very, very few people who like all art, most people have fairly strong preferences or opinions.  Some art is polarizing, provoking or even offensive -- and sometimes intentionally.  But it's still art. Smile

I couldn't agree more with you. I don't have an artistic bone in my body but, art is meant to inspire, it sometimes tells a story, it causes discussion. This art my not be beautiful, but it is ever so interesting and we should be proud that it is there. I hope the region leaves it as is. It is a part of our history.

If you guys ever get a chance, go to the Kitchener Operations Facility on Goodrich Dr, through the main entrance. Work of art almost appears to be a bunch of ceiling fans somehow merged together. As weird looking as the work of "art" is outside the Courthouse, this non-weird looking "art" inside the Operations Facility doesn't even resemble art. Yet it is.

(04-23-2017, 08:41 PM)Canard Wrote: Absolutely adore the building, absolutely adore Aporia.  This is fantastic news!  I take a picture of it almost every time I go by.

The only thing I'm going to be sad about is seeing the sans-serif 80's-era "Ontario" fonts going away, and being replaced with tacky Regional logos and stuff everywhere.

You touch on an interesting point - the exterior of the building.  I can admire a good Brutalist building, but in this case, I'm wondering what kind of image it projects of WRPS to be located in that building, which is pretty cold and forbidding looking?  Perhaps the re-purposing will include changes to soften the exterior?  Perhaps more windows?  Some colour?  

Or is this a non-issue?
1) I'm upset I got to play the role of "insider", but my info was wrong. I was told it was confidential until approved at a Regional meeting on Wednesday, then I read it in the Record a few hours later... LOL

2) Canard should be happy that WRPS only puts their Heraldic Shield on display, and not a whack load of Region W's! Wink

Coke
(04-24-2017, 09:56 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: 1) I'm upset I got to play the role of "insider", but my info was wrong.  I was told it was confidential until approved at a Regional meeting on Wednesday, then I read it in the Record a few hours later... LOL

It's only confidential until the agenda for the regional meeting is published! Which generally happens on Friday afternoons.
(04-24-2017, 09:14 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-23-2017, 08:41 PM)Canard Wrote: Absolutely adore the building, absolutely adore Aporia.  This is fantastic news!  I take a picture of it almost every time I go by.

The only thing I'm going to be sad about is seeing the sans-serif 80's-era "Ontario" fonts going away, and being replaced with tacky Regional logos and stuff everywhere.

You touch on an interesting point - the exterior of the building.  I can admire a good Brutalist building, but in this case, I'm wondering what kind of image it projects of WRPS to be located in that building, which is pretty cold and forbidding looking?  Perhaps the re-purposing will include changes to soften the exterior?  Perhaps more windows?  Some colour?  

Or is this a non-issue?

I was just thinking about that. There must be a way to make that building less cold. My guess is that they would add windows, perhaps fitting the theme of the Kitchener Heath Science Campus on King and Victoria, or the recent renovations to Sun Life (the old King Centre). Perhaps some coloured siding as well.
(04-24-2017, 05:09 PM)jeffster Wrote: I was just thinking about that. There must be a way to make that building less cold. My guess is that they would add windows, perhaps fitting the theme of the Kitchener Heath Science Campus on King and Victoria, or the recent renovations to Sun Life (the old King Centre).  Perhaps some coloured siding as well.

Noooooo, don't ruin the wonderful brutalism!
(04-25-2017, 08:57 AM)Markster Wrote:
(04-24-2017, 05:09 PM)jeffster Wrote: I was just thinking about that. There must be a way to make that building less cold. My guess is that they would add windows, perhaps fitting the theme of the Kitchener Heath Science Campus on King and Victoria, or the recent renovations to Sun Life (the old King Centre).  Perhaps some coloured siding as well.

Noooooo, don't ruin the wonderful brutalism!

Well, that's the conundrum.  My understanding is that the building is well regarded for its architecture.  I'm not sure how to balance that with public perceptions of WRPS (one is not expecting a warm hug, but still....).  Although, as I said before, it may not even be an issue.  Heck, even refreshed landscaping will help.    

Although additional windows might be good,  I''m pretty sure I wouldn't be advocating for "coloured siding" (perhaps that was intended to be tongue in cheek?).  Smile

(04-25-2017, 09:05 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Well, that's the conundrum.  My understanding is that the building is well regarded for its architecture.  I'm not sure how to balance that with public perceptions of WRPS (one is not expecting a warm hug, but still....).  Although, as I said before, it may not even be an issue.  Heck, even refreshed landscaping will help.    

Although additional windows might be good,  I''m pretty sure I wouldn't be advocating for "coloured siding" (perhaps that was intended to be tongue in cheek?).  Smile

It's not as if the current building is particularly welcoming.  Anyway, a lot could be done through simply landscaping.
Thumbs Up 
(04-25-2017, 10:34 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-25-2017, 09:05 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Well, that's the conundrum.  My understanding is that the building is well regarded for its architecture.  I'm not sure how to balance that with public perceptions of WRPS (one is not expecting a warm hug, but still....).  Although, as I said before, it may not even be an issue.  Heck, even refreshed landscaping will help.    

It's not as if the current building is particularly welcoming.  Anyway, a lot could be done through simply landscaping.

I suppose that's true, although that building has some mid-century touches that I have always admired (orange ceramic inserts on the front half wall; inverted conical pillars of the portico; the triangle/hexagon panel above the entrance).  I also think they did a good job with the new blue spandrel panels (when were they installed?) - it gives the place a bit of brightness at least.
(04-25-2017, 09:05 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-25-2017, 08:57 AM)Markster Wrote: Noooooo, don't ruin the wonderful brutalism!

Well, that's the conundrum.  My understanding is that the building is well regarded for its architecture.  I'm not sure how to balance that with public perceptions of WRPS (one is not expecting a warm hug, but still....).  Although, as I said before, it may not even be an issue.  Heck, even refreshed landscaping will help.    

Supposed to colour match that intestine outside.

Though when I said colour, I probably should have said "shading". There must be a way to make it look less imposing, though, I guess if it's a police station, you are ruining the whole point.

But for sure, add some windows. Should be interesting to see what they do.
You don't just get to put windows on something because you don't happen to like it and think it looks cold.

Some of us actually adore brutalist architecture. NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE WARM CUDDLY GINGERBREAD.
(05-06-2017, 08:21 AM)Canard Wrote: You don't just get to put windows on something because you don't happen to like it and think it looks cold.

Some of us actually adore brutalist architecture.  NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE WARM CUDDLY GINGERBREAD.

Indeed, I also like a good brutalist building and, as I said, this one is well regarded, afaik.  The only issue for me was to wonder whether the architecture is a good match for a WRPS station, in terms of police image.  At the end of the day, the main thing is that the building is finding new life, which is great.
Waterloo Regional Police Service Central Division Consulting Services

"The overall project has been split into three phases (for construction purposes) with the
work required for occupancy and moving of all staff currently at Central Division being
completed in phase 1 (2018-2020). Phase 2 (2021-2022) will relocate the
Communications Centre from Police Headquarters and phase 3 (2023-2024) will
relocate the Traffic Services Division currently located at Police Headquarters which will
complete the project. That being said, the entire design of this project will be completed
as part of phase 1.
In order to ensure best value the entire design process, including all requisite consulting
and contract administration work has been taken into account for all three phases. This
will allow for seamless design of the overall project (Phases 1 – 3).
Subject to Council approval, Phase 1 including the complete integrated design is
scheduled to start in late October, 2018 and be substantially complete by December 31,
2020. The entire project is scheduled to be complete in 2024."
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I just drove by there today, looked at it and wondered where they are on the project. Thanks for the update
So the renovation work is now underway?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »