Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London
And it's entirely possible that HSR *is* the enhanced VIA service.

(04-26-2017, 11:42 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: And it's entirely possible that HSR *is* the enhanced VIA service.

It makes no sense to do both HSR and conventional VIA, unless they don't have enough HSR train sets.

GO could make sense as a complement to HSR, assuming that HSR has a limited schedule.
Or, you know, because of cost/destination. HSR will not go to Stratford (probably should not go to Guelph), and the cost disparity between HSR and VIA is sufficiently large that for some, that is a go/no go decision, if only the expensive option exists.
Ontario high-speed rail line to be tabled at Queen's Park in May

Quote:The province is planning to table a proposal for a new high-speed rail line to connect major cities in southern Ontario, a CTV News Toronto investigation has learned.

[...]

This project is part of the province’s $130 billion budget it plans to spend on infrastructure over the next decade to tackle Ontario's traffic-log.

[...]

“There are multiple definitions for high-speed rail depending on what you’re looking at,” Del Duca told CTV News Toronto. “Some of what we’re encountering in this part of Ontario, the corridor that we’d be looking at essentially does have some physical restrictions. There are specific recommendations in the report regarding the speed of the trains.”

This is because of geographical limitations along its route, he explained.

It is believed the federal government would provide funding as well for the project. Full details of the proposal will be revealed at Queen’s Park in May.
It's not uncommon to have both local and high speed on the same line. Acela and Acela Regional are a good example. We're not going to be getting bullet train speeds, so Acela is probably the best comparison.

I wonder what the odds are of this surviving the election.
(04-26-2017, 05:33 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: It's not uncommon to have both local and high speed on the same line. Acela and Acela Regional are a good example. We're not going to be getting bullet train speeds, so Acela is probably the best comparison.

That would only be the case if the line has sufficient ridership to support more trips.

I suppose we will see what we get.

Frankly, and via rail has gone this direction, existing via equipment is capable of around 170 km/h.   At those speeds, you make pretty quick work of the trip between London and Toronto.  The problem is, much of the track (even brand new fully grade separated track for some reason) is restricted to ~100 km/h or even ~60 km/h in the case of really bad tracks, and there are often sections in poor repair where they are restricted to 30-50 km/h, you only really hit 170 km/h for extended periods on the corridor between Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa.

If Via was simply to upgrade all their tracks to a level that supports 170 km/h everywhere.  We'd have actually pretty fast service.

There is a branding aspect however, that needs to be addressed.
I'd say it's inevitable. VIA isn't going to close smaller stations along the line just because HSR isn't stopping at them.

I say to hell with HSR, let us look to the future and get on with Waterloop (hyper loop).. 

6 minute trip from waterloo to toronto.

Let us lead north america in having the best transit.
(04-26-2017, 07:26 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: There is a branding aspect however, that needs to be addressed.

HST instead of HSR?  (High-Speed Track!)
(04-26-2017, 10:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 07:26 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: There is a branding aspect however, that needs to be addressed.

Well, I just mean Via has somewhat of a reputation of being...not terribly fast.

To be honest, I've always thought they should brand the corridor services (legitimate transportation option) different than the cross country routes (largely leisure touring, you are probably there for the journey).
They already have a good brand they could use for the corridor in their history: Rapido.
(04-26-2017, 07:26 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 05:33 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: It's not uncommon to have both local and high speed on the same line. Acela and Acela Regional are a good example. We're not going to be getting bullet train speeds, so Acela is probably the best comparison.

That would only be the case if the line has sufficient ridership to support more trips.

I suppose we will see what we get.

Frankly, and via rail has gone this direction, existing via equipment is capable of around 170 km/h.   At those speeds, you make pretty quick work of the trip between London and Toronto.  The problem is, much of the track (even brand new fully grade separated track for some reason) is restricted to ~100 km/h or even ~60 km/h in the case of really bad tracks, and there are often sections in poor repair where they are restricted to 30-50 km/h, you only really hit 170 km/h for extended periods on the corridor between Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa.

If Via was simply to upgrade all their tracks to a level that supports 170 km/h everywhere.  We'd have actually pretty fast service.

There is a branding aspect however, that needs to be addressed.

I say to hell with just 170 km/h we should really try to build the equivalent of the North-East Corridor (Amtrak) here. 150 mph (241 km/h) maximum speed on dedicated 4 wide track would make quite the difference.
Only build it so that it can go 150 for a significant portion of the track, not just a couple segments in Rhode Island.

(04-26-2017, 10:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

I'd rather have better rail service than a better brand.
(04-27-2017, 12:10 PM)NotStan Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 10:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote: HST instead of HSR?  (High-Speed Track!)

I'd rather have better rail service than a better brand.

So would I, but even with better service, without proper branding, it's unlikely to succeed commercially.

My point was that, Via rail could provide far better service at a pretty low cost just by improving tracks.  But if they did so, I think they still have to do some kind of branding work to capitalize on that investment.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »