Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(05-29-2017, 03:16 PM)plam Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 12:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: In most countries in Europe, you signal your intent to exit the roundabout, but you do not need to signal your intent to continue circulating the roundabout (which is the only other choice anyway if you are not exiting).

I was surprised to see someone signal the left turn at the roundabout in France (like we're also supposed to here).

Tourists! Big Grin

They seem to be doing work on the 401W-8N ramp now. A large section of the exit lane was blocked off with jersey barriers on my way home this afternoon.
Here's the state of things in Preston at the King/Fountain/Shantz Hill area, at about 4:30pm (probably the worst).

Curbs in along Shirley Ave (or is it Bingemans Centre?)

Coke
(06-05-2017, 09:40 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Curbs in along Shirley Ave (or is it Bingemans Centre?)

Coke

That's interesting to consider - I suppose our 8-name-15-KM anomaly of a "single street" will be changing.

Although having just mapped it out, it appears it will still have 8 names and be about 15KM - replacing the Riverbend-Bridgeport-Caroline stretch with Wellington-Walter-Glasgow.
Gotta love this city.

Has their been any indications that it will all just be named Wellington or Shirley or Bingemans?
(06-06-2017, 10:34 AM)Osiris Wrote: That's interesting to consider - I suppose our 8-name-15-KM anomaly of a "single street" will be changing.

Although having just mapped it out, it appears it will still have 8 names and be about 15KM - replacing the Riverbend-Bridgeport-Caroline stretch with Wellington-Walter-Glasgow.
Gotta love this city.

Has their been any indications that it will all just be named Wellington or Shirley or Bingemans?

I propose restoring the original name of the section east of Lancaster (Spring St) to increase the point score.
(06-06-2017, 11:53 AM)kps Wrote: I propose restoring the original name of the section east of Lancaster (Spring St) to increase the point score.

There's already another Spring Street in Uptown Waterloo.

(06-06-2017, 12:01 PM)timc Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 11:53 AM)kps Wrote: I propose restoring the original name of the section east of Lancaster (Spring St) to increase the point score.

There's already another Spring Street in Uptown Waterloo.

That could become Fons Street or something like that.

A whole bunch of streets were renamed in the early '50s to remove duplication, among them Cedar, Charles, David, Duke, Frederick, Queen, Victoria, and Water.
(06-06-2017, 01:58 PM)kps Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 12:01 PM)timc Wrote: There's already another Spring Street in Uptown Waterloo.

That could become Fons Street or something like that.

A whole bunch of streets were renamed in the early '50s to remove duplication, among them Cedar, Charles, David, Duke, Frederick, Queen, Victoria, and Water.

Fun fact - the Region keeps a list of reserved street names for the cities/townships. This ensures no duplication.

The list can be found here in the Region's open data catalogue - http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...ataset.asp

Cambridge holds the vast majority of reserved names.
Westheights is being prepared for a resurfacing sometime soon. Curbs have been replaced in spots and the outside edges have been shaved. I hope they do a good paint job after. The paint was confusing with the initial road diet and last year's reapplication only made things worse.
(06-06-2017, 10:54 PM)The85 Wrote: Fun fact - the Region keeps a list of reserved street names for the cities/townships. This ensures no duplication.

The list can be found here in the Region's open data catalogue - http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...ataset.asp

2104 names reserved by Cambridge (Kitchener 450, Waterloo 246)?  What's up with that?  Here are just the first 20 of 2014:

FullStreetName    Municipality
Abitibi    Cambridge
Able    Cambridge
Accobee    Cambridge
Adair    Cambridge
Addley    Cambridge
Addy    Cambridge
Adkin    Cambridge
Adlington    Cambridge
Adolf    Cambridge
Affleck    Cambridge
Agate    Cambridge
Aggett    Cambridge
Agincourt    Cambridge
Agnew    Cambridge
Aigner    Cambridge
Ailsa Craig    Cambridge
Aitkinson    Cambridge
Aiton    Cambridge
Albatross    Cambridge
Albin Sponner    Cambridge
Could it be that they have Plans of Subdivision on file that haven't yet been implemented, but that already have named streets in them?
Does anyone know if the Krug closure is for all vehicles, or if there is a way for bikes to get through. It was always my favoured way of getting across to the west side of the city, but it looks like it will be blocked for most of the remainder of the year.

(06-06-2017, 11:16 PM)timio Wrote: Westheights is being prepared for a resurfacing sometime soon.  Curbs have been replaced in spots and the outside edges have been shaved.  I hope they do a good paint job after.  The paint was confusing with the initial road diet and last year's reapplication only made things worse.

I never found it that bad, in a few places the old marks weren't so clearly removed, and a few places errors were made, but most of the road seemed fine.

In any case, the new stuff will be great---for about 3-4 weeks until drivers who drive in the bike lanes cause the paint to wear away.
(06-07-2017, 12:19 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 10:54 PM)The85 Wrote: Fun fact - the Region keeps a list of reserved street names for the cities/townships. This ensures no duplication.

2104 names reserved by Cambridge (Kitchener 450, Waterloo 246)?  
Some of the names I don't know why Cambridge would bother or want to reserve I saw Adolf, Anger, Hooker, Loveless, McCash and a few more odd names.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »