Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Population and Housing
It's a good first step. Are there any plans to spur repairs on existing affordable housing and other rentals to stave off some of the decay?

It's a first step -- but is it enough to make a difference?

For X% affordable units, I would be willing to provide something like X/2 % reduction in property taxes for, say, five years. This really only works for rental units, not condos, but I expect that most of the affordable housing would be rental units anyway.
Attached is a list of the current publicly known projects that I have ranked as the 11 tallest in Waterloo Region. Anything with a * is an assumption.
Only a few years ago it would have been hard to imagine that the 11th ranked building on the list would have been a 25 story tower.

Attached Files Image(s)

Of these, which have started sales? Where are Charlie West and Icon 145 in those terms?

It is kind of astounding that there are this many 20+ storey buildings proposed at once. And relatively few of them are in the cores.
(06-07-2017, 02:19 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Attached is a list of the current publicly known projects that I have ranked as the 11 tallest in Waterloo Region. Anything with a * is an assumption.
Only a few years ago it would have been hard to imagine that the 11th ranked building on the list would have been a 25 story tower.

I noticed as the tower # increases, the height decreases.... are there examples/possibilities that after Tower #1 is done, they may want/have need of going higher instead? (Obviously would need to apply for a new plan... does that ever get done?)

Coke
The tower # designation is something I made up.

There are other 20+ developments planned or in construction but didn't make the top of the list.

155 Caroline 22
One hundred Condominiums 21
Gas Light District ( 2 over 20 I believe)
Phillip Square ( 2 more over 20)
District Condos
(06-07-2017, 02:19 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Attached is a list of the current publicly known projects that I have ranked as the 11 tallest in Waterloo Region. Anything with a * is an assumption.

"Virrera" Village.

Proof that it's a bad name! Even our illustrious moderator can't remember it!
Mind you I was rushing while my kids were preoccupied ( including an 8 day old).
/\ Wow! Congratulations, Rangersfan! Smile
Thank you!!
And you still have the energy to post? Amazing!

Congratulations!

And that might change depending on what Drewlo wants to build across the street from Cameron Heights.

(06-07-2017, 02:23 PM)MidTowner Wrote: It is kind of astounding that there are this many 20+ storey buildings proposed at once. And relatively few of them are in the cores.

SIXO, Charlie West and 87 Regina account for five of the 11 towers.  Of the other six, Virerra accounts for four.  The other two are in the university area.

The highest densities are still going to be in the cores and the university area, with some clusters of towers in the suburbs, such as Virerra and Fallowfield.
Although it's fair to say that highrise development in Kitchener is pretty widely scattered around the city.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »