Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Downtown Neighbourhood Name Wanted
(06-11-2017, 02:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-11-2017, 01:22 PM)rangersfan Wrote: How often do they(if they do) examine the boundaries of what is considered Downtown or Uptown?

For me I consider the intersection of King and Victoria a key piece of Downtown including the Sixo development but properly I believe they are not Downtown.
Even though one of the often cited sources for the revitalization of Downtown is the development of the UW School of Pharmacy.

I also consider the Market area to be Downtown.

Are there official meaningful boundaries?  Or it more defined ad hoc depending on who's doing the study?

Yes, the four Downtown districts (Innovation, Centre, Market and Civic) are all defined by the City.  Although the western limit of Downtown would have once been considered to be Francis, it now covers everything to the train tracks.  The Market District only extends to Cedar street, but will probably merit a two block extension to incorporate the Drewlo project.  The "East End" is not formally designated and overlaps in part with the Market District.

(06-11-2017, 12:02 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 02:03 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I vote market too,

Market sounds good but the Kitchener Market is considered to be Downtown by the Kitchener Downtown BIA.  Map here.

But even in that map, the innovation district is partially inside and partially outside the red downtown boundary.  So if the Market District or a Market Village or what have you extended down towards Stirling I see no issue with that.
(06-11-2017, 02:18 PM)notmyfriends Wrote:
(06-11-2017, 12:02 PM)jgsz Wrote: Market sounds good but the Kitchener Market is considered to be Downtown by the Kitchener Downtown BIA.  Map here.

But even in that map, the innovation district is partially inside and partially outside the red downtown boundary.  So if the Market District or a Market Village or what have you extended down towards Stirling I see no issue with that.

Just to note that the red line in that map shows the limit of the Downtown Kitchener BIA.  The BIA does not cover the entire "Downtown" as the City defines it.
(06-11-2017, 02:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Yes, the four Downtown districts (Innovation, Centre, Market and Civic) are all defined by the City.  Although the western limit of Downtown would have once been considered to be Francis, it now covers everything to the train tracks.  The Market District only extends to Cedar street, but will probably merit a two block extension to incorporate the Drewlo project.  The "East End" is not formally designated and overlaps in part with the Market District.

The exact boundaries don't concern me much.  I just really hope the "East End" doesn't stick as the name for the area of King St. east of Cedar to the Conestoga Parkway. 

Perhaps some City officials are reading this (I assume some do read this forum) and they'll come up with a committee or something to pick an appropriate name.  

So far, my favourite suggestion is "East Village."

Uptown Waterloo - Midtown - Downtown Kitchener - East Village
Cedar to the Expressway seems too big and sprawling an area to be branded a "village." In my opinion, you could probably get away with labelling the area as far as Ottawa as "East Village," but not much further.

Since arriving in Kitchener, I've referred to the denser parts nearer to King as "King East," which is what is on the road map I have. Then there is "Eastwood" further along, and of course the "East Ward," which I think is generally pretty well understood.

I can understand wanting to avoid the connotations of the "East End" if possible, even if it is usefully descriptive. Where exactly is Cameron Heights? And I have heard people refer to the area of "Kaufman Park"- that's a good name.
I doubt it has ever occurred locals to think of anything beyond Cameron or Betzner as the East End. By the time you get to Sydney, it would more logically be Rockway or Rockway Gardens, although that's not generally used in quite the same way. The stretch in between has never had any sort of name, afaik. With future redevelopment, perhaps it could be known as the "Former embarrassingly ugly entrance to Downtown". Wink

This reminds me that you seldom, if ever, hear the descriptor "East Ward" anymore. Of the four old wards, East always seemed to have the strongest identity, istm.
(06-12-2017, 09:11 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I doubt it has ever occurred locals to think of anything beyond Cameron or Betzner as the East End.  By the time you get to Sydney, it would more logically be Rockway or Rockway Gardens, although that's not generally used in quite the same way.  The stretch in between has never had any sort of name, afaik.  With future redevelopment, perhaps it could be known as the "Former embarrassingly ugly entrance to Downtown".  Wink

This reminds me that you seldom, if ever, hear the descriptor "East Ward" anymore.  Of the four old wards, East always seemed to have the strongest identity, istm.

What about calling it East Village from Cedar Street to Ottawa Street and Rockway from Ottawa Street to the Expressway?

"This reminds me that you seldom, if ever, hear the descriptor "East Ward" anymore. Of the four old wards, East always seemed to have the strongest identity, istm."

That's not the experience I have at all- I hear constant references to East Ward, especially in real estate (I just checked MLS and, sure enough, there are two listings that identify the homes as being in the "East Ward" in the description). When I used to work on that side of downtown, colleagues (including non-locals) seemed to have a good understanding of where East Ward was, and to use the term.

I live in North Ward, and almost never hear references to it (and almost only ever in real estate contexts).
(06-12-2017, 09:18 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(06-12-2017, 09:11 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I doubt it has ever occurred locals to think of anything beyond Cameron or Betzner as the East End.  By the time you get to Sydney, it would more logically be Rockway or Rockway Gardens, although that's not generally used in quite the same way.  The stretch in between has never had any sort of name, afaik.  With future redevelopment, perhaps it could be known as the "Former embarrassingly ugly entrance to Downtown".  Wink

This reminds me that you seldom, if ever, hear the descriptor "East Ward" anymore.  Of the four old wards, East always seemed to have the strongest identity, istm.

What about calling it East Village from Cedar Street to Ottawa Street and Rockway from Ottawa Street to the Expressway?

Done,  make it so !!!
(06-12-2017, 09:38 AM)MidTowner Wrote: "This reminds me that you seldom, if ever, hear the descriptor "East Ward" anymore. Of the four old wards, East always seemed to have the strongest identity, istm."

That's not the experience I have at all- I hear constant references to East Ward, especially in real estate (I just checked MLS and, sure enough, there are two listings that identify the homes as being in the "East Ward" in the description). When I used to work on that side of downtown, colleagues (including non-locals) seemed to have a good understanding of where East Ward was, and to use the term.

I live in North Ward, and almost never hear references to it (and almost only ever in real estate contexts).

Interesting - I guess the old East Ward still retains that bit of "cachet" (largely due to the absence of industry, I suspect).
(06-12-2017, 09:00 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Since arriving in Kitchener, I've referred to the denser parts nearer to King as "King East," which is what is on the road map I have.

That's the city's name for the area. Yeah, the city has names for areas.

Nice find!
Found a PDF version. (The above was a screen capture from the Kitchener GIS map, which is not linkable.)

Those seem to correspond pretty closely to the neighbourhood associations (King East is one).

I like how fluid these things are. Jgsz mentioned "Midtown" in his first post, and as far as I know that is not official anywhere. It's mentioned by the City of Kitchener only for some purposes and only in the last few years. As far as I know, it is a very (last decade?) new term.

Edit: Sorry, kps, I missed your second post. I see now that they're the planning communities. Neighbourhood associations do generally seem to align with those, though not exactly.
You can also get an artsy print of the neighbourhoods map from CNDPrints on Etsy. I have one for Cambridge.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »