Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
The Gaslight District | completed
(06-14-2017, 09:07 AM)kitborn Wrote: The Record's information page about this development. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/737...e-council/

Thanks for the link.  And apparently there is something we have all been missing, is this a media conspiracy? Big Grin

Quote:"High buildings are dangerous," he said, citing fire safety as an issue for tall buildings.

Apparently downtowns are super dangerous in any major city!

One would very much like to mock that "dangerous" comment, but today's events leave me feeling circumspect.
(06-14-2017, 10:12 AM)panamaniac Wrote: One would very much like to mock that "dangerous" comment, but today's events leave me feeling circumspect.

The reasons for the spread of the London apartment building fire are still unknown.  But we do know that there was no sprinkler system in the building.
(06-14-2017, 10:38 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-14-2017, 10:12 AM)panamaniac Wrote: One would very much like to mock that "dangerous" comment, but today's events leave me feeling circumspect.

The reasons for the spread of the London apartment building fire are still unknown.  But we do know that there was no sprinkler system in the building.

True - there would be no comparison between the standards of a 40 year old UK tower and a modern Canadian highrise.
Does make me look at the region's older buildings with a wary eye. I remember one I lived in in Port Credit only had a staircase and two elevators - probably not much different from the London building.
(06-14-2017, 09:34 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Does make me look at the region's older buildings with a wary eye. I remember one I lived in in Port Credit only had a staircase and two elevators - probably not much different from the London building.

I do believe our building code requires two exits.

Sprinklers are a huge safety factor.  With a properly implemented sprinkler system, wood construction in mid-rise buildings becomes a manageable issue as well.
(06-14-2017, 10:38 AM)tomh009 Wrote:

The Guardian has a pretty detailed article on the building, although formal investigation results won't be until much later:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017...ts-in-2012

One thought did occur to me today: would the sprinklers be a help or a harm in the event of an electrical fire?
It seems the main risk with using water on electric fires is shock and damage to equipment. There seems to be a pretty good answer to the question on quora that suggests that sprinklers, when properly installed, do not increase the risk of shock, and provide no additional risk of damage over the fire itself or other fire-fighting measures, except in specific circumstances like a data centre, for example.
(06-16-2017, 08:11 AM)jamincan Wrote: It seems the main risk with using water on electric fires is shock and damage to equipment. There seems to be a pretty good answer to the question on quora that suggests that sprinklers, when properly installed, do not increase the risk of shock, and provide no additional risk of damage over the fire itself or other fire-fighting measures, except in specific circumstances like a data centre, for example.

Electrical equipment in sprinklered buildings have drip shields or are designed to not allow water to flow down the front.  Also note that when a sprinkler is activated, only the heads in the area of the fire release water as the heat will break the fluid filled glass seal.

In an example like a data centre or control room they may implement a Novec clean agent type suppression system which is friendlier to electronics and quicker to activate than water and often implemented in rooms which aren't regularly occupied.  The novec fluid suppresses the fire, then evaporates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjZKsKXL-hI
Crane going up on the first side closest to 97
Big event planned for Saturday the 16th at this site.

http://dayinthedistrict.ca/
According to this article 90% of the units of the 197 condo units sold during a 3 day event, with almost 90% of the buyers coming from Cambridge.
Also several restaurant tenants have been lined up for the project.

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...-district/

Hope they last. Was driving along Water Street and half the south side is empty (again).
Drove thru Cambridge on the weekend... didn't have a chance to snap a picture, but the building at is really progressing well....

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »