Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(05-06-2017, 06:15 PM)kps Wrote:
(05-06-2017, 05:59 PM)Canard Wrote: I think they did that here for the Conestoga Parkway.

Surprisingly few… except for a section near Frederick St, the route was mostly not yet developed.

My uncle was a developer and built a house on Krug street way back when, expecting it to be expropriated for a higher sum than it cost him to buy and build.  It wasn't, and he grudgingly lived in that house until the day he died.

(05-07-2017, 02:04 AM)mpd618 Wrote: If you think the current objections to transit infrastructure in Preston would be reduced by switching technology, you're misunderstanding the concern. It's not about light rail in particular, it's about fear of neighbourhood change, property impacts, and visual impacts.

Fixed.
Stage 2 Report (starting at page 101):

http://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Coun...df#page101

Of note:

Quote:"The next round of public consultation for Stage 2 was to be held in late-2017. However, given the extra work required to examine options and detail results, this will be delayed. The project team will target early 2018 to bring the project back to the public for further comment and input."

Quote:"Additionally, broader consideration will be given to mitigation techniques such as running the LRT vehicles in mixed traffic with automobiles and not in its own right-of- way, considering one-way streets, and closing streets, while ensuring private access is maintained."

This is really cool, and I've posted links before - this is what the Gold Coast Light Rail (G:Link) does in Australia for a short section. It's really a clever solution and showcases the flexibility of LRT.

It's too bad that NOW is the time when they're examining this, because King DTK really would have been nice as pedestrian / LRT only, and made far more sense too.
Oh absolutely. I love the idea of turning King into a pedestrian/cycling/LRT corridor, with traffic carried by a beefed-up Duke and Charles.
You'd probably have to have retractable bollards at the endpoints so people don't drive in it anyway.

So CTV has caught on to the Preston backlash.
...or just car pits - lots of cities use those. Edmonton and Denver has them IIRC.

Yup: http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1148848

(06-16-2017, 06:11 PM)GtwoK Wrote: It's too bad that NOW is the time when they're examining this, because King DTK really would have been nice as pedestrian / LRT only, and made far more sense too.

Sure.  But politically infeasible.
At the time, yes. I think attitudes have continually been shifting since then and the nature of the businesses on King have shifted as well. I expect there would still be backlash to the idea, but it would no longer be anywhere close to the non-starter that it was then. That's in the past, though, and the present alignment is a reasonable compromise to the political realities of the day.
(06-16-2017, 06:11 PM)GtwoK Wrote: It's too bad that NOW is the time when they're examining this, because King DTK really would have been nice as pedestrian / LRT only, and made far more sense too.

I think the idea of sharing with cars are OK for DT area's. But LRT/Pedestrian only would have been a bad idea.

If I recall correctly, Buffalo did away with DT for cars and went Metro Rail and pedestrian only. I believe, though I could be wrong, that they went back to allowing cars in the DT core because of the poor results. I think they started allowing cars (so sharing with the metro) maybe 5 years ago, but I think they lost a station as a result.

Most of the metro in Buffalo is underground, so it's really a LRT/Subway hybrid.

Interestingly, the city of Buffalo (city proper) is only marginally larger than Kitchener (Kitchener proper), perhaps by around 15,000 people. Though the metro area is much larger.
(06-17-2017, 04:13 PM)jeffster Wrote:

I think the idea of sharing with cars are OK for DT area's. But LRT/Pedestrian only would have been a bad idea.

I think pedestrian/cyclist/transit streets can work well, once a city core reaches critical mass in terms of both residents and businesses. We are probably not there yet in Kitchener, though, and even less so in Waterloo.

But add SIXO, Charlie, 100 Victoria, Arrow 2, City Centre 2 and Drewlo, and it will be much closer.  Five years from now the situation may be very much different.  DTK is decisively on the upswing, and the momentum is strong now.
I love the whole DTK thing for downtown Kitchener. Is that an official branding thing, or just something that has taken off here on WRC?
(06-17-2017, 07:52 PM)jamincan Wrote: I love the whole DTK thing for downtown Kitchener. Is that an official branding thing, or just something that has taken off here on WRC?

Promoted by the BIA I believe. Some of the banners downtown have #dtklove on them!

[Image: PortlandBSaturdayMarket.jpg] [Image: metropolitan-area-express.jpg]
(06-17-2017, 07:55 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 07:52 PM)jamincan Wrote: I love the whole DTK thing for downtown Kitchener. Is that an official branding thing, or just something that has taken off here on WRC?

Promoted by the BIA I believe. Some of the banners downtown have #dtklove on them!

I've seen #DTKawesome on instagram too.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »