Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting to Pearson
(06-27-2017, 03:54 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 12:44 PM)Canard Wrote:  I'm not willing to chance it trying to figure out complicated bus routes and tickets and so on. 

If you're sticking to public transit agencies, all you should need is Google Maps and a well-topped Presto card. You may end up on GO and/or MiWay and/or even other agencies, but the card makes it easy to just tap your way through.

GO bus to Bramalea and taxi from there to Pearson?

Sadly it's still not simple.  Greyhound is simple and quick but only on a couple of departures per day.

(06-28-2017, 03:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 03:54 PM)KevinL Wrote: If you're sticking to public transit agencies, all you should need is Google Maps and a well-topped Presto card. You may end up on GO and/or MiWay and/or even other agencies, but the card makes it easy to just tap your way through.

GO bus to Bramalea and taxi from there to Pearson?

Sadly it's still not simple.  Greyhound is simple and quick but only on a couple of departures per day.

There's also a Brampton Transit bus from Bramalea to the airport for an all transit option that's actually very cheap.  But a taxi is much easier.
If you're sharing with another adult, Black Car Waterloo is fifteen dollars more ($120 there, $135 return) than Airways' rate ($120 each way), and has been an exceedingly pleasant experience the times I've used it. Door-to-door on your schedule with only your party in the car.

If your party is exactly three in number, it is an excellent value on par with Park'n'Fly or the Pearson Value Park Lot (and without having to do the drive yourself).
(06-29-2017, 06:46 PM)chutten Wrote: If you're sharing with another adult, Black Car Waterloo is fifteen dollars more ($120 there, $135 return) than Airways' rate ($120 each way), and has been an exceedingly pleasant experience the times I've used it. Door-to-door on your schedule with only your party in the car.

I'll second that.  And you are in full control of the schedule in both directions.
Unfortunately, it's just me.

I can't handle the anxiety from trying to figure out the bus thing so I'll just eat the $200 it'll cost to park at Pearson. Sad I really wish I could make the train thing work, but the weekend departure/arrival makes it impossible. I loved doing that last spring when I flew out on a Friday.
Looks like you could take the GO bus from UW to Square One and then take GO #40 from there to the Airport.  Both seem to have hourly service on weekends. may be less stressful than trying to sort out city bus schedules.
To be honest, I find that an ironic statement. For me, traveling to Pearson, the mode is irrelevant so long as I'm on the 401. The singular source of anxiety I have getting to my flight is whether there will be an accident on the 401. If there is, it doesn't matter if I'm in a car or bus I will probably miss my flight. The ONLY solution to that is getting frequent GO train service.

Ironically, I actually find that traveling by bus is less stressful in this regard because a) I'm not stressing during the ride, because eventually I can accept there is nothing I can do about sitting in traffic, b) GO Transit seems to be fairly effective at bypassing traffic jams....usually.... and c) I have an option to recoup a little time, upon arriving at Square One or Bramalea by hopping in a taxi and asking to be whisked to the airport.

I'm impressed by the hoops that some seem willing to go through to get to the airport.  I've had the experience of using Airways Transit when the 401 was bunged up - the dispatch alerted the driver and we took detours (twice!) to get around the problems.  I think we lost perhaps ten to fifteen minutes on the trip.
(06-30-2017, 03:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: To be honest, I find that an ironic statement.  For me, traveling to Pearson, the mode is irrelevant so long as I'm on the 401.  The singular source of anxiety I have getting to my flight is whether there will be an accident on the 401.  If there is, it doesn't matter if I'm in a car or bus I will probably miss my flight.  The ONLY solution to that is getting frequent GO train service.

Ironically, I actually find that traveling by bus is less stressful in this regard because a) I'm not stressing during the ride, because eventually I can accept there is nothing I can do about sitting in traffic, b) GO Transit seems to be fairly effective at bypassing traffic jams....usually....   and c) I have an option to recoup a little time, upon arriving at Square One or Bramalea by hopping in a taxi and asking to be whisked to the airport.

Yes. An additional source of stress is potentially crashing the car that one is trying to drive. I left for Pearson this morning at 5am and it was extremely dark and stormy. In retrospect, a taxi might have been a better idea.

panamaniac Wrote:I'm impressed by the hoops that some seem willing to go through to get to the airport. I've had the experience of using Airways Transit when the 401 was bunged up - the dispatch alerted the driver and we took detours (twice!) to get around the problems. I think we lost perhaps ten to fifteen minutes on the trip.

I often overcomplicate my life...
Waterloo Taxi apparently has a flat $90 to Pearson fare. http://waterlootaxi.ca/rates.php

Given that, I'm not sure I see the appeal of airways transit. Even if tipping was different the taxi seems like it would end up cheaper.
(06-30-2017, 06:48 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm impressed by the hoops that some seem willing to go through to get to the airport.  I've had the experience of using Airways Transit when the 401 was bunged up - the dispatch alerted the driver and we took detours (twice!) to get around the problems.  I think we lost perhaps ten to fifteen minutes on the trip.

Yes, and that's a great argument for transit of some type, because they have dispatching and stuff, but it's still possible to be on the road between exits when a collision completely shuts the highway.  I've been there, sat for hours in the middle of the 401 before police re-opened.  Fortunately I was returning home, and didn't miss a flight, but it could still happen.
Taylortbb wrote "Waterloo Taxi apparently has a flat $90 to Pearson fare. http://waterlootaxi.ca/rates.php

Given that, I'm not sure I see the appeal of airways transit. Even if tipping was different the taxi seems like it would end up cheaper"

Yes they do. And then $105 for the way back. The extra $15 is a fee they have to pay to wait at the airport. When they drop you off they can do it right at the departures area, but they can't loiter at arrivals for the pick-up so have to wait in some sort of bullpen on site. But it would be your cab. It wouldn't simply be there to pick up just anyone.
(06-30-2017, 07:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-30-2017, 06:48 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm impressed by the hoops that some seem willing to go through to get to the airport.  I've had the experience of using Airways Transit when the 401 was bunged up - the dispatch alerted the driver and we took detours (twice!) to get around the problems.  I think we lost perhaps ten to fifteen minutes on the trip.

Yes, and that's a great argument for transit of some type, because they have dispatching and stuff, but it's still possible to be on the road between exits when a collision completely shuts the highway.  I've been there, sat for hours in the middle of the 401 before police re-opened.  Fortunately I was returning home, and didn't miss a flight, but it could still happen.

Can be alerted to this with waze or the radio,it's likely how they found out

(06-30-2017, 08:00 PM)darts Wrote:
(06-30-2017, 07:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yes, and that's a great argument for transit of some type, because they have dispatching and stuff, but it's still possible to be on the road between exits when a collision completely shuts the highway.  I've been there, sat for hours in the middle of the 401 before police re-opened.  Fortunately I was returning home, and didn't miss a flight, but it could still happen.

Can be alerted to this with waze or the radio, it's likely how they found out

Generally they have radio contact with dispatchers and other vehicles and have enough vehicles on the road to have a network of eyes.
(06-30-2017, 08:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-30-2017, 08:00 PM)darts Wrote: Can be alerted to this with waze or the radio, it's likely how they found out

Generally they have radio contact with dispatchers and other vehicles and have enough vehicles on the road to have a network of eyes.

the traffic report every 10 minutes uses a network with many more eyes, so does waze instantly.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »