Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
That's kind of annoying in the middle of a parking lot, I feel like you shouldn't be forced to walk to the end. Although I haven't seen the arrangement, I'm not sure if there's anything to go to in the middle.

I haven't been down to Fairway in a while. How close does the actual layout agree with the original plans and the integration of the new bus terminal?

It looks like it was never planned to have the shortest path access from the bus bays off of Fairway to the Ion platform, but based on the glass wall and curbs in the photo the distance from bus terminal to Ion platform is even longer now.

Also, I didn't notice at the time the plans were published, but that layout looks to show articulated buses in some of the bays.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
That is a full-movement roadway (two directions) with nothing but the Leon's on the other side. A crosswalk to the new bus terminal will surely go in at a spot just to the left of my image.
There are no curb cuts though, the crosswalk will essentially be down at Wilson based on the slope of that ramp.
There is a curb cut, I assure you - I just didn't snap a photo. Southbound Ion aBRT buses will use it to pull alongside the opposite platform.
They put in a zebra crossing at Charles & Ontario with the other pavement markings, but the other intersections on Charles have zero crosswalk markings (but do have all other markings). What gives?
(07-14-2017, 09:55 PM)mpd618 Wrote: They put in a zebra crossing at Charles & Ontario with the other pavement markings, but the other intersections on Charles have zero crosswalk markings (but do have all other markings). What gives?

Zebra crossing AND traffic lights?  What gives indeed?

I've seen Zebra markings on traffic-lighted crosswalks elsewhere - Ottawa and Fischer-Hallman, Ottawa and Mill...

I get the sense they were using Ontario as a tryout on their painting technique, and will later apply the same to Queen, Benton, etc.
Zebra crossing was also put in on Ontario and Duke.

The "mid-July" timeline for the King Street Grade separation has come (I suppose there's another week or so left until it's gone). Any remote chance it might open within a week?
(07-15-2017, 12:15 PM)p2ee Wrote: Zebra crossing was also put in on Ontario and Duke.

The "mid-July" timeline for the King Street Grade separation has come (I suppose there's another week or so left until it's gone).  Any remote chance it might open within a week?

Maybe, but it's delayed to sometime in July : https://www.therecord.com/news-story/742...g-delayed/
Glad to see there will be a celebration event!!
" installing a handrail to protect pedestrians on the elevated portion."

Well if that takes as long as at the Weber underpass it could be a long wait! :-)
Regardless of whether the crosswalk is demarcated well (zebra crossing) or not so well (two solid lines), surely we agree that it should be marked? Currently there are no crosswalk markings of any kind at Charles & Gaukel, Water, Francis.

(07-16-2017, 12:05 AM)mpd618 Wrote: Regardless of whether the crosswalk is demarcated well (zebra crossing) or not so well (two solid lines), surely we agree that it should be marked? Currently there are no crosswalk markings of any kind at Charles & Gaukel, Water, Francis.

At Charles & Benton, only one of the four crosswalks is marked.  I think there is surely painting still to be done.
Went for a ride along the entire route today, from Fairway to Conestoga, to see what progress has been made in the last 2 weeks. Photos coming later.

Was really surprised that the grade separation looked exactly as it did before I left; I couldn't see a single thing that looked different.

I'm told the crosswalk markings are just two lines when it's at a stop sign, and "zebra marks" when there's a signalized intersection - but later in the day I was driving around and realized that can't be true, because there are lots of crosswalks with signals that have two lines.  So I don't see any consistency here at all.

I'm also totally baffled at the absolute refusal to put down markings on the rapidway concrete.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »