Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ottawa Street Widening (Hwy. 7 to Lackner)
I noticed that they had started paving the south side of Ottawa today. I can't imagine it will be much longer before they open it fully between River and Lackner.

Ugh, that can't open soon enough. I've avoided that area for months because the traffic is so bad there right now!
I notice this hasn't been updated in a while. Ottawa is now finished between River and Lackner and I noticed two days ago that they have started work between River and 7/85. Right now they are installing new hydro poles on the north side of the street set back further than the existing ones.
The finished part between River and Lackner is so much better now that it's mostly complete. The new LED lights make a big difference too, providing a clean and crisp light at night. It will be great when the LED retrofit is rolled out to the rest of the Region.
A lot of the new larger hydro poles are going in on the edge or protruding significantly into the existing sidewalk. I hope that the sidewalk is being shifted.

I thought this project was to include a multi use trail? If so the section from River to Lackner does not have this yet.
(03-14-2017, 06:26 PM)rangersfan Wrote: A lot of the new larger hydro poles are going in on the edge or protruding significantly into the existing sidewalk. I hope that the sidewalk is being shifted.

I thought this project was to include a multi use trail? If so the section from River to Lackner does not have this yet.

Sadly I think there is only MUT from Lackner to Montcalm and Dreger to Nottingham.
(03-14-2017, 06:26 PM)rangersfan Wrote: A lot of the new larger hydro poles are going in on the edge or protruding significantly into the existing sidewalk. I hope that the sidewalk is being shifted.

Yes the sidewalks are being shifted.  When I walked by, I saw stakes in the ground labeling back of sidewalk/front of sidewalk shifted over closer to property lines.

The extents of those MUT are incredibly frustrating in light of the city of Kitchener's plans for bike routes on Franklin and River.....why why why stopping all of 80 meters away from them.
I sent a tweet to the region asking why they have not been working on this for 2 weeks in a row, also all the machines have been removed. Will post answer when I get one.
(07-27-2017, 09:22 PM)Square Wrote: I sent a tweet to the region asking why they have not been working on this for 2 weeks in a row, also all the machines have been removed.  Will post answer when I 
Any word yet ?  I was away for two weeks and there is no change.  At this rate I cant imagine them finishing the project to a minimum standard for the winter.
(07-31-2017, 10:09 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 09:22 PM)Square Wrote: I sent a tweet to the region asking why they have not been working on this for 2 weeks in a row, also all the machines have been removed.  Will post answer when I 
Any word yet ?  I was away for two weeks and there is no change.  At this rate I cant imagine them finishing the project to a minimum standard for the winter.

The region sent me a reply this afternoon.   They said the delay was "Project delayed slightly due to request from @RegionWaterloo & @CityKitchener Water Services staff to add unforeseen watermain & valve work."   Work starts again tomorrow.
(07-31-2017, 06:26 PM)Square Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 10:09 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Any word yet ?  I was away for two weeks and there is no change.  At this rate I cant imagine them finishing the project to a minimum standard for the winter.

The region sent me a reply this afternoon.   They said the delay was "Project delayed slightly due to request from @RegionWaterloo & @CityKitchener Water Services staff to add unforeseen watermain & valve work."   Work starts again tomorrow.

Thank you for making the inquirery.  I noticed last night that an excavator had been dropped off....
Right now access to Ottawa St from River Rd (East?) is closed, there was no signage warning of this change.
Also there are no left signs posted near the Stanley Park Mall Ottawa St entrance but people continue to turn left here anyway.
This whole area is very congested, if possible avoid it all together.

It looks like they're starting to work on the section over the Parkway and west. Markings have been put on the ground for both directions of traffic to travel on the north side of the overpass and cones are out all along there.
(09-20-2017, 09:56 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Right now access to Ottawa St from River Rd (East?) is closed, there was no signage warning of this change.
Also there are no left signs posted near the Stanley Park Mall Ottawa St entrance but people continue to turn left here anyway.
This whole area is very congested, if possible avoid it all together.

This surprises me.  I know they just re-did this whole section a few years back.  The "next" section of this work [Expressway to Weber] doesn't seem to require a closure at River.

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »