Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Oops, forgot one biggie:
  • At King/Victoria, just South of the platforms (both side), absolutely massive chasms have been dug into the Earth. Conduits are coming up - this looks just like what happened South of the Kitchener Market station at Cedar, prior to the installation of a retrofit signal house.

I really, really hope two giant silver boxes aren't going to appear, here, but that's what it's looking like.

Hmm, I saw those holes and I thought it might be for trees with what they're assembling underneath.
Oh man, I hope you're right! Same kind of stuff as in UpTown Waterloo?
(08-18-2017, 11:30 AM)Canard Wrote: Oh man, I hope you're right! Same kind of stuff as in UpTown Waterloo?

Yes I saw this too. It's a soil cell system for trees. Good addition at this location!
(08-18-2017, 10:19 AM)Canard Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 09:12 AM)urbd Wrote: Does this imply another big delay announcement? or another sort of bad news?

Sad

just tell us!!!!!!
Bombardier is my guess of course.
Nothing of note about LRVs that I can see in the agenda, but in the GRT update there is reference to revenue service starting 02-Apr-2018 (obviously just a place holder for now):
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I skimmed through (searched for some keywords) too and am also surprised nothing is specifically mentioned.

I suppose ultimately these meetings are not to talk about specifics of what happens along the timeline?
I've started to notice a bad habit drivers are developing around the Ion right-of-ways where the curb is roll-over/flush with the pavement. I've experienced it both as a driver and cyclist.

For example, heading WB on Allen at Caroline, drivers get impatient for vehicles turning left (SB) on Caroline and are using the Ion right-of-way to go around stopped vehicles/bikes to continue straight on Allen or turn right (NB) on Caroline.

Something similar happens on NB on King at Allen. Vehicles get impatient with bikes taking the lane or cars turning left in to driveways and use the Ion right-of-way as a passing lane.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(08-18-2017, 11:05 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Hmm, I saw those holes and I thought it might be for trees with what they're assembling underneath.

Here's a look at those structures, just like we saw in UpTown Waterloo.  This is going to be a huge green space - I love it!

(08-18-2017, 08:43 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I've started to notice a bad habit drivers are developing around the Ion right-of-ways where the curb is roll-over/flush with the pavement. I've experienced it both as a driver and cyclist.

For example, heading WB on Allen at Caroline, drivers get impatient for vehicles turning left (SB) on Caroline and are using the Ion right-of-way to go around stopped vehicles/bikes to continue straight on Allen or turn right (NB) on Caroline.

Something similar happens on NB on King at Allen. Vehicles get impatient with bikes taking the lane or cars turning left in to driveways and use the Ion right-of-way as a passing lane.

Hopefully it will be dealt with through enforcement, but it wouldn't surprise me if the region ignored it entirely, because "oh poor drivers."

I did see one example where I was glad a car went onto the rapidway, however: on King, an ambulance was coming south towards Downtown. It came up on a car in the driving lane between Moore and Victoria, and so the car pulled onto the rapidway to let the ambulance pass, pulling back onto the roadway immediately afterwards.
You've piqued my curiosity.  Is there room for an ambulance to pass on the left if a vehicle pulls over to the right-hand curb (only) and stops as required?  If not, what is the correct protocol?
You keep driving until there is safe and adequate space to pull over and allow the emergency vehicle to pass.

That makes sense.
(08-21-2017, 09:40 AM)panamaniac Wrote: You've piqued my curiosity.  Is there room for an ambulance to pass on the left if a vehicle pulls over to the right-hand curb (only) and stops as required?  If not, what is the correct protocol?

You move completely to the right of the roadway [§159(1)]. The right-side LRT lane is a restricted lane [§154(1)(‌c‌)] but it's still roadway. That's why right-hand-side LRT lanes have gentle bumps while the left-hand-side ones have curbs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »