Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Sensors on the overheight/overwidth detector along the Spur Line are operational.

I wonder what the grid of sensors will look like in dense fog?

Or how that sensor responds to snow accumulation.
Cool photos!

I'm glad to see they have some experience here and put the transmitter at the bottom. Smile
(08-23-2017, 08:52 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: As I've said earlier, Tom Galloway has said that the problem is no longer the assembly of the vehicles but rather the integration of the vehicle's computerized control systems with the signalling system chosen by Grandlinq.

I don't really buy that. It's probably just posturing for the upcoming negotiations with Grand Linq for the final bill on construction. He can claim that Grand Linq is partially responsible for the train delays and they shouldn't pay 100% for operation costs in the meantime.

He's not involved in the technical stuff, so he can say whatever he wants publicly and not be accused of lying, since that's what Bombardier told him. I doubt Grand Linq will take that claim at face value either, unless they are getting other concessions from the region (i.e. dome costs). Integration of a signal system should be able to be done on site, so the trains could be delivered in the meantime. It would also be beneficial for every party in the process if 98% functional trains can be delivered. It's in everyone's interest to avoid a lawsuit, and showing good will and progress will help that.

I'm not accusing Galloway of deceit or anything, but it seems someone at the region needs to filter the bull from Bombardier. Bombardier is clearly not being realistic about delays/causes, and it only looks worse when external media keeps breaking news about schedule pushes. As Jeffster mentioned, I think there will be consequences for some politicians because of Bombardier. Especially if they are seen as going to bat for Bombardier.
I can already see the headline:

GRANDLINQ PAID TO RUN LRT FOR 6/9/12 MONTHS WITH NO TRAINS

People are going to lose their shit and the politicians will pay.
When did we become such a hate-filled society? Sad The Canada I grew up in was full of positivity and enthusiasm. Now it's just bitch bitch bitch.
I don't really think any of this is hate-filled. There's a vocal minority that will complain about anything. But most people just want to see results, equal treatment, and don't want to be lied to or deceived. Private businesses receive the same scrutiny internally.

I'm pretty pragmatic and understand that not much can be done about the delays at this point. But it's the politicians jobs to control the narrative. For the general public, it just looks like the politicians deceived us about the timeline, and Jay Aissa et al were right. And on top of it, we will be paying for 2 years of non-service. I expect the tone is going to start to shift soon and our region politicians will start throwing Bomardier under the bus to seem like they are on the people's side.

I think people would just prefer some transparency. Are there even any contingency plans at this point? What if Bombardier goes bankrupt. It would be nice to see an honest quote from the Region regarding this:
"We have no idea when the trains are going to arrive, or when service will start. Optimistically we are hoping for 2018 service, but that is unlikely. Bombarider has committed to X date, but they have delayed their schedule Y times in the past. Based on this, we have little confidence they can meet their new delivery date. We are pursuing all avenues for recourse, including legal action - however the recent Metrolinx case has shown that would not be prudent. We are working with Bombarider and Grand Linq to resolve these delays. "

(08-24-2017, 12:54 PM)Andy Wrote: I don't really think any of this is hate-filled. There's a vocal minority that will complain about anything. But most people just want to see results, equal treatment, and don't want to be lied to or deceived. Private businesses receive the same scrutiny internally.

I'm pretty pragmatic and understand that not much can be done about the delays at this point. But it's the politicians jobs to control the narrative. For the general public, it just looks like the politicians deceived us about the timeline, and Jay Aissa et al were right. And on top of it, we will be paying for 2 years of non-service. I expect the tone is going to start to shift soon and our region politicians will start throwing Bomardier under the bus to seem like they are on the people's side.

I think people would just prefer some transparency. Are there even any contingency plans at this point? What if Bombardier goes bankrupt. It would be nice to see an honest quote from the Region regarding this:
"We have no idea when the trains are going to arrive, or when service will start. Optimistically we are hoping for 2018 service, but that is unlikely. Bombarider has committed to X date, but they have delayed their schedule Y times in the past. Based on this, we have little confidence they can meet their new delivery date. We are pursuing all avenues for recourse, including legal action - however the recent Metrolinx  case has shown that would not be prudent. We are working with Bombarider and Grand Linq to resolve these delays. "

First of all, can we stop making misleading statements about the delay on this forum.  It is extremely unlikely to be 2 years at this point.  Even if Grandlinq finishes exactly on time, Bombardier's current schedule has us paying for 6-8 months, even if we think that's off way off base, 12-16 months is still well under 2 years.  

Second of all, I hear the private business argument all the time, but I consider it just nonsense.  Anyone who's worked for a large corporation knows bureaucracy is not the exclusive domain of the government.  ANY large entity is prone to bureaucratic difficulties, and private corporations are NO exception to this.  Further, there are reasons why bureaucracy is in place, in many cases it serves to protect people.  Most people who complain seem entirely unwilling to inform themselves about this, or even think critically about it.

You also mention transparency, I think our government is fairly transparent.  But most people don't bother to take the time to inform themselves.  There was a letter to the editor printed in the record from a citizen of Cambridge; it was an angry rant about how the city's budget was secret.  It took me all of 30 seconds on Google to find the full Cambridge budget.

Now, I'll agree with all the general points you make, it is important to be prudent and to hold our government accountable, but I will disagree that there isn't a very loud, very angry sounding anti-everything government, anti-any-taxes-at-all contingent who are quite vocal right now, and you admit this is different.  I cannot say how big this group is, or if they are just loud, and I am not old enough to know if they are new or not though.  But certainly, I think they've put the fear of death (election loss) in every politician in the country.  It seems nearly impossible to levy new taxes or fees on anything.  Just look at Wynne shutting down tolls on Toronto highways, so they clearly have quite a bit of clout.
(08-24-2017, 04:46 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 12:54 PM)Andy Wrote: I don't really think any of this is hate-filled. There's a vocal minority that will complain about anything. But most people just want to see results, equal treatment, and don't want to be lied to or deceived. Private businesses receive the same scrutiny internally.

"We have no idea when the trains are going to arrive, or when service will start. Optimistically we are hoping for 2018 service, but that is unlikely. Bombarider has committed to X date, but they have delayed their schedule Y times in the past. Based on this, we have little confidence they can meet their new delivery date. We are pursuing all avenues for recourse, including legal action - however the recent Metrolinx  case has shown that would not be prudent. We are working with Bombarider and Grand Linq to resolve these delays. "

First of all, can we stop making misleading statements about the delay on this forum.  It is extremely unlikely to be 2 years at this point.  Even if Grandlinq finishes exactly on time, Bombardier's current schedule has us paying for 6-8 months, even if we think that's off way off base, 12-16 months is still well under 2 years.  

Second of all, I hear the private business argument all the time, but I consider it just nonsense.  Anyone who's worked for a large corporation knows bureaucracy is not the exclusive domain of the government.  ANY large entity is prone to bureaucratic difficulties, and private corporations are NO exception to this.  Further, there are reasons why bureaucracy is in place, in many cases it serves to protect people.  Most people who complain seem entirely unwilling to inform themselves about this, or even think critically about it.

You also mention transparency, I think our government is fairly transparent.  But most people don't bother to take the time to inform themselves.  There was a letter to the editor printed in the record from a citizen of Cambridge; it was an angry rant about how the city's budget was secret.  It took me all of 30 seconds on Google to find the full Cambridge budget.

Now, I'll agree with all the general points you make, it is important to be prudent and to hold our government accountable, but I will disagree that there isn't a very loud, very angry sounding anti-everything government, anti-any-taxes-at-all contingent who are quite vocal right now, and you admit this is different.  I cannot say how big this group is, or if they are just loud, and I am not old enough to know if they are new or not though.  But certainly, I think they've put the fear of death (election loss) in every politician in the country.  It seems nearly impossible to levy new taxes or fees on anything.  Just look at Wynne shutting down tolls on Toronto highways, so they clearly have quite a bit of clout.
>>First of all, can we stop making misleading statements about the delay on this forum.  It is extremely unlikely to be 2 years >>at this point.  Even if Grandlinq finishes exactly on time, Bombardier's current schedule has us paying for 6-8 months, even >>if we think that's off way off base, 12-16 months is still well under 2 years.  
I'm not sure the statements about the delays are misleading.  Is everyone just supposed to accept Bombardier's statements even though they keep slipping?  So while 12-16 months is still well under 2 years I have no confidence Bombardier can deliver in that timeline because they continue to miss revised schedule after revised schedule.  Another factor regarding the vocal opposition is that I think Bombardier is a polarizing company - many people resent the huge subsidies taxpayers have given them.  Then when they miss deliveries it is doubley galling.   I'm sure there will be lots of finger pointing but to date Bombardier has not been effective in transfering any fault to Metrolinx or ROW.
(08-24-2017, 12:13 PM)JoeKW Wrote: I can already see the headline:

GRANDLINQ PAID TO RUN LRT FOR 6/9/12 MONTHS WITH NO TRAINS

People are going to lose their shit and the politicians will pay.

Even if there are no trains, I could be wrong, but Region could not leave all the LRT infrastructure for the system just sit there with no maintenance or oversight for however long it might be.

Mothballing by not paying an operator would cost even more to get the system up and running again at sometime in the future. Besides do we want to be known as the "Mothball Region"

Switches, rails, gates, lights etc. need to be kept working and not allowed to degrade.

It is what it is for now, can't change our contractual obligations because Bombardier is the child in the room.
Oh I totally agree, but what do you think Jay Aissa will say?
/\ Who cares what he has to say?

Anyone who says they knew this would happen is a liar. It definitely sucks but I personally couldn't give a s#@t what someone who has always opposed the projects thinks about the current problem.
(08-25-2017, 03:34 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Oh I totally agree, but what do you think Jay Aissa will say?

Nothing — he’s moved to Woodstock! Tongue

Some interesting insider info from "Dan" in Toronto:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ion...st-1250889
(08-25-2017, 05:58 PM)Canard Wrote: Some interesting insider info from "Dan" in Toronto:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ion...st-1250889

If this is true, then perhaps ROW isn't on the hook quite yet.

I'll see if I can find someone in the know at the city, or perhaps just ask Berry himself next time I see him.

Will be interesting to see, if this comes much later than expected, as in not in place by September 2018, we're going to see a huge shift in politicians, and probably some early retirements.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »