Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Added enticement beyond what buses bring? Higher capacity, smoother ride, overall higher-order experience.

(09-16-2017, 06:09 PM)Canard Wrote:
  • Audible Text-to-Speech announcements were being made over at least the Northfield and Frederick platforms - I assume just for today. I only mention Frederick because as we drove by later in the afternoon, I heard the robotic voice booming against the nearby buildings!)

This has been up and running for quite a few weeks actually - about a month ago I was walking along the laurel trail at about 2am and it started to pour, so I ducked into the R+T station to take shelter. After sitting on the bench for a few minutes, I tried to lie down while waiting out the rain, and an automated voice came over the speaker telling me "No sleeping on the benches - you are being monitored on CCTV"

Scared the shit out of me, tbh
While biking past the Willis Way station a week or two ago I heard the announcements playing to an empty station. I'm shocked they have a human actually monitoring CCTV feeds at 2 AM, but that gives me some faint hope that we'll be able to stop people from using the GRH station as a smoking shelter in the winter.
(09-17-2017, 02:32 PM)KevinL Wrote: Added enticement beyond what buses bring? Higher capacity, smoother ride, overall higher-order experience.

I also remember learning in an urban transportation course that while it may be largely psychological, or perhaps sociological, there is a certain degree of stigma associated with riding a bus (though this may be less and less the case as time goes on) that does not exist with regards to trains. People are more likely to leave their car and board a train than they are to board a bus.
Did nobody here go to the open house yesterday? Smile

They explained and showed the entire CCTV system - it's active and recording everything, and monitored 24/7.
Someone seems to have hung a wind chime on the OCS contact wire running under the Manulife building on Charles.
(09-17-2017, 02:37 PM)GtwoK Wrote: […] an automated voice came over the speaker telling me "No sleeping on the benches - you are being monitored on CCTV"

“You have 20 seconds to comply.”

Pick up that can, citizen.
Bombardier says second LRT vehicle will ship next week

Big Grin

(it's actually being packed up on Friday - but I guess according to this, it's not leaving the site until Monday.)
10 days to ship? Can you walk us through the expected route Canard?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Sorry, I actually have no idea at all what the routing will be this time!

Hopefully, the team will do the IONTracker thing again - just a little more up-to-date, I hope. Big Grin

Edit: 80 km/h testing in Millhaven today! Cutting it a little close, but it pegs the speedo!
CN Rail serves the Kingston plant so CN will likely pick it up and drop it off in MacMillan Yard in Toronto where GEXR will pick it up and bring it to the Lancaster Yard.
No ultra-circuitous route this time, eh? Smile

Surprised that will stil take 10 days... but, I guess that's how freight goes.

Maybe it'll sit in Toronto for a couple of days? Should make for easy spotting.

(09-19-2017, 01:24 PM)Canard Wrote: No ultra-circuitous route this time, eh? Smile

Surprised that will stil take 10 days... but, I guess that's how freight goes.

Maybe it'll sit in Toronto for a couple of days? Should make for easy spotting.

If you can see it from the edge of the yard! MacMillan yard is huge! However there is the highway 7 overpass which I think has a pretty good view from the sidewalk. Looking forward to this! Good to hear it’s been driving. Maybe we really will have an operational system soon.
Three trains before Thanksgiving!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.4296705
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »