Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homer Watson and Ottawa Three Lane Roundabouts
Signs are going up! Smile

Westbound Homer Watson approaching Ottawa.

Eastbound Homer Watson approaching Ottawa.  [This one is much cleaner looking than the westbound one... it's almost too much info]

Northbound Ottawa approaching Homer Watson.  Crane was just installing this one!

Coke

Haha, they'd better replace that pole in the first one! Wink
(09-23-2017, 04:57 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Signs are going up! Smile

I’d be interested to know more about the engineering decision to use a single side support for these. The supports are extremely heavy-duty, to the point that it looks like the total amount of metal would probably be less if the signs were supported on both sides. I can think of a few potential benefits of doing it this way but I’d just be guessing. In any case they look like very clear signage. I’m looking forward to trying out this area soon.
I far prefer the beefier, single-arm design.

Many roller coasters now have fewer support columns, and the columns (and track) are far beefier. It looks better, and requires fewer footers.
(09-23-2017, 09:58 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 04:57 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Signs are going up! Smile

I’d be interested to know more about the engineering decision to use a single side support for these. The supports are extremely heavy-duty, to the point that it looks like the total amount of metal would probably be less if the signs were supported on both sides. I can think of a few potential benefits of doing it this way but I’d just be guessing. In any case they look like very clear signage. I’m looking forward to trying out this area soon.

I also question this, the footings are enormous and cause obstructions to the trail nearby.  It looks like something that you'd expect to find on a freeway, not on a city street.
Those signs need to withstand a lot of wind loads.
(09-23-2017, 12:57 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I also question this, the footings are enormous and cause obstructions to the trail nearby.  It looks like something that you'd expect to find on a freeway, not on a city street.

From what I've been able to see, the footings are designed to be out of the trails' way.

(09-23-2017, 07:23 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 12:57 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I also question this, the footings are enormous and cause obstructions to the trail nearby.  It looks like something that you'd expect to find on a freeway, not on a city street.

From what I've been able to see, the footings are designed to be out of the trails' way.

"Designed"...I don't think they're designed to be out of the way, I think the trail is designed to go around them, but it isn't the case for all of them:

I mean, it's not terrible, but it certainly could be better.
Ah, hadn't seen that one. Most of the others make a less imposing mark.
I get a kick out of the trail bumps every time I walk through the area. They seem so absurd.
(09-25-2017, 01:40 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I get a kick out of the trail bumps every time I walk through the area. They seem so absurd.

Ya no kidding, why not just move the trail a bit so there is a larger grass boulevard between it and the road?
Question about the gantry signs... why are there metal strips above each sign. I first thought lights, but they aren't lit. Is is a snow/rain block (but that doesn't seem to make sense either)

Coke
They are lights. As the multiple lanes aren't yet open, I don't think they will be turning on the lights until they do open.

(09-26-2017, 03:10 PM)KevinL Wrote: They are lights. As the multiple lanes aren't yet open, I don't think they will be turning on the lights until they do open.

Solar powered? (I don't see any electrical in the support foundations).

I thought with the reflective material on signage, lighting them was a thing of the past.

Coke
They certainly looked like LED fixtures when I saw them on the ground, before installation. Not sure how they're powered.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »