Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambridge Multi-Sports Complex [Proposed]
Good proposal. They should tie in the Zellers/Target structure, it's not doing anything just now...

In my opinion it would be much better to use existing space, rather than leaving it vacant.
(09-27-2017, 02:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote: In my opinion it would be much better to use existing space, rather than leaving it vacant.

Yeah, but anything that can reduce surface parking lots and bring building faces closer to public streets would also be very welcome.
This would also place facilities right by the new bus terminal, which is good for connectivity.
They could really go all the way from Hespeler Road to Sears and have it face Dunbar. That whole half of the mall is going to be underused. They might be able to rework some of the back-middle part so they can link it to the existing rink. I'm sure Applebee's fans can find a new place to get botulism au gratin.
The Satellite Motel is going to be converted to affordable housing. The large rocket out front may be auctioned off to help pay for it.
It is amazing after so many people came out and told city council that they don't like the connestoga site and that they should look elsewhere that the mayor still throws out a line like well, we can still build the pool there.

The city would probably be better off turning their nearby operations yard into it, close to everything and they own the land and can buy cheap land somewhere else in the city for the operations yard

I'd rather see the operations yard turned into a segment of liner park following the creek from Dumfries Conservation Area to Eagle. The added value of parkfront property for condo/apartment developers would offset any losses from having to build on a smaller footprint because of the floodplain rules.
(09-29-2017, 12:13 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: I'd rather see the operations yard turned into a segment of liner park following the creek from Dumfries Conservation Area to Eagle. The added value of parkfront property for condo/apartment developers would offset any losses from having to build on a smaller footprint because of the floodplain rules.

Operations yard was too generous of a name, the one talked about being a site was the one on bishop street that is a snow dump in the winter
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.3975001,-80.3129845,318m
It's a bit far from the main drag; if we're going to build close to Hespeler Road I'd prefer to see the complex right on it.
Five years later, the Cambridge council may be getting close to a decision …
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/942...-location/
Key words:. "may" and "close"
All the way in the southeast corner? I can't see Hespeler and Preston residents liking that.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »