Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(10-17-2017, 08:03 PM)D40LF Wrote: Fairway Station - Request for Tender

Quote:This project includes the construction of a Driver’s Lounge facility (~1200 sq.ft. of building), stops for GRT buses complete with shelters, and a 200 space parking lot. This project is expected to begin spring 2018 and be completed by August 31, 2018.

Which GRT driver is going to get his (or her) own personal lounge at Fariview?  Is it based on seniority?

August 31 completion, hmm? So if Ion launches as expected in spring, this won't be in use immediately and passengers will hike to the existing terminal for the duration of the summer.
Given that it is a vacant gravel lot at the moment, no demolition or remediation or vegetation removal required, that seems like a long construction period for essentially a large parking lot a and the equivalent of a small single family home.

Interesting that the plans show a speed hump in the lanes with the bus bays when GRT has complained about these features out in the community slowing trip times.

They have included a MUT from Wilson to the bus platforms too. I guess there will be a MUT on the west side of Wilson that connects to the trail on the north side of the Ion tracks that you could cross whenever the Ion is crossing Wilson?

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Love the look of that!
I like the way they have incorporated the artwork into the building.
(10-18-2017, 08:16 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: ...

They have included a MUT from Wilson to the bus platforms too. I guess there will be a MUT on the west side of Wilson that connects to the trail on the north side of the Ion tracks that you could cross whenever the Ion is crossing Wilson?

Lol, a connecting trail.  Hilarious!  Even when it's entirely a City of Kitchener project, and they install a pedestrian island, and they're rebuilding everything from scratch, they can't figure out how to put in a connecting trail.  I'm looking at you Belmont.

Honestly, I put the chances of a connecting trail somewhere near 0%, it just isn't like these agencies to co-operate in this way.

That being said, Wilson *should* be getting some kind of infrastructure (bike lanes probably, maybe segregated lanes) at some point, which maybe, if the sequencing is right, staff might possibly be aware of the existence of both trails when it's being built--but don't hold your breath.
(10-17-2017, 08:19 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 08:03 PM)D40LF Wrote: Fairway Station - Request for Tender

Which GRT driver is going to get his (or her) own personal lounge at Fariview?  Is it based on seniority?

Heh. Big Grin

According to the plans, the "Multi-use trail" is of the patented "sidewalk that we internally designate as MUT" design.

Looks like the 205 is launching with a hard date of April, not contingent on LRT start.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Shelters are going up for the new 205 Ottawa iXpress! New route running on Ottawa set to start in April 2018. <a href="https://t.co/6pm0jxQCXL">https://t.co/6pm0jxQCXL</a> <a href="https://t.co/x5mn9WrBD0">pic.twitter.com/x5mn9WrBD0</a></p>&mdash; Grand River Transit (@GRT_ROW) <a href="https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/921017096380735488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 19, 2017</a></blockquote>
The new transfer printers are still not fully reliable - the driver on this bus is having to provide tear-off ones despite the bus having a new farebox.
I haven't noticed any improvement in speed either. There was supposed to be some software patch this fall that was going to help speed things up; maybe it hasn't happened yet.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(10-18-2017, 10:53 AM)Markster Wrote: According to the plans, the "Multi-use trail" is of the patented "sidewalk that we internally designate as MUT" design.

So they're tearing down Crabby Joes and Burger King to build a terminal of the exact same design further away from the Mall, and yet no closer to the LRT station, along with 200 parking spaces? I admit I was expecting something more like what they built at the Cambridge Centre.

Colour me underwhelmed. I'm surprised this thread isn't expressing more disappointment.
200 parking spaces is nowhere near big enough for a Park-and-Ride, to be honest.  To call it that is going to be a little misleading - those coming from out-of-town will constantly find it full.

Denver, Charlotte, DC, even Toronto have massive lots at the extremities.  The difference here I guess is that our system doesn't really go far enough "out".  If it went to Sportsworld, that would have been a perfect Park-and-Ride location to capture ridership of those coming off 401.

As far as frustration/disappointment goes: I'm amazed that there isn't more talk of just how indirect the path is to walk from the station to the bus platforms.

Sportsworld still can be a park and ride. It's only one stop on the express bus. Not ideal, but till they have the money to bridge the river it'll have to do.
[Image: 19.-Fairway_OverviewPCC-1000px.png]

Yeah, this layout kind of sucks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »