Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The Record has posted their article about the delay on Facebook three times so far. Impressive.

You'd almost think they're biased.
(10-20-2017, 04:40 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: You'd almost think they're biased.

OMG. That is funny right there. You made me laugh out loud. Thanks
(10-20-2017, 01:02 PM)nms Wrote: Has anyone else noticed the odd placement of some of the platform bike racks? I notice that there is one at UW that appears to be very close to the service road and crossing signals (and also in a prime pedestrian pathway).

Yes, that was identified when the amenities started showing up back in July.

Here is a more recent photo of the Willis stop's bike racks. Longer bikes will hang over the pedestrian access way a touch here too, but not like at UW.

It's like making a 100 spot vehicle parking lot and installing bollards in the middle of 20 of the spots.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Something I've only just spotted, going over some photos: at Allen station, the big sign on the tile wall just says 'Allen', but the platform-level signs read 'Allen Street'...
Which? If it's the directional/wayfinding signs, that makes sense - since they're directing you to the "thing". If it's the actual station name flags that are on every light post... that's a huge mistake!
[Image: 1npm.jpg]

Oh my god.
Three additional art projects for the Ion route.

"The Passenger by Brandon Vickerd as part of the Research and Technology Stop Improvements; Arras by Lauren Judge and Elana Chand as part of the Fairway Transit Driver’s Facility; and Fabric of Place by Lilly Otasevic as a pedestrian area enhancement at the Albert McCormick Community Centre crossing..."

I guess that is the artwork we just saw in the GRT thread the other day.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(10-22-2017, 09:42 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Three additional art projects for the Ion route.

"The Passenger by Brandon Vickerd as part of the Research and Technology Stop Improvements; Arras by Lauren Judge and Elana Chand as part of the Fairway Transit Driver’s Facility; and Fabric of Place by Lilly Otasevic as a pedestrian area enhancement at the Albert McCormick Community Centre crossing..."

I guess that is the artwork we just saw in the GRT thread the other day.

I think you mean "Arras" by Lauren Judge and Elana Chand at Fairview Drivers facility.  That is not really an "additional artwork" - Lauren and Elana won the competition at the beginning of the year (one of ten artworks) but changes were required (I think it was proposed to be done on a retaining wall and the Region decided on the walls of the drivers facility instead).   What has now been approved is the revised project.  I don't know whether or not that's the case for the other two works.
With all the illegal left hand turns, maybe the Region should check out Mississauga's diamond lanes...

Coke
(10-23-2017, 11:01 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: With all the illegal left hand turns, maybe the Region should check out Mississauga's diamond lanes...

I like it!  Wish they would do this on the street running LRV rights of way as well so drivers wouldn't keep turning into them and getting hung up.
With respect to Allen vs. Allen Street. The station name is "Allen". The grey sign is an arrow pointing towards Allen Street. I believe at other locations there is similar wayfinding signage to the closest streets and/or bus platforms.

Agreed that for wayfinding, it should say the thing (“Allen Street”). The name of the station is just “Allen”, though. So, the signboards Kevin has circled in red (and the flags on the light standards, visible from inside the train) should also say “Allen”, not “Allen Street”.

Meanwhile, just 10 weeks remain in 2017, and we’re still 12 trains short.
Overnight work and LRT testing may slow down commute K-W
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »