Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streetlight LED Conversion
(10-20-2017, 02:03 PM)KevinL Wrote: For some reason certain intersections have not had their lights replaces even when all directions of the surrounding streets have. Is there a difference in hardware, or power configuration?

My wife observed them replacing the lights on Doon Village Rd, and said it was one person with a bucket truck.  Wherever the access was blocked by a crossing wire they didn't replace the light.  We figure they'll come back for those with a team so that proper safety protocols can be followed.

Maybe the ones you spotted were the same deal?

Has any one in Kitchener spotted the Access Point Boxes for the networked lights?
I also noticed the traffic poles lights not being changed. I let someone at the region know about the south side of Bruce and Frederick Street lights. Still not changed on the conversion map.
There's one on Kingsway that hasn't been changed between the mall and the seniors residence and is also not supposed to be changed according to the map. There's also one down the street from me that hasn't been swapped out but has completely disappeared from the map. Guess they'll just let it burn out never to be replaced..
Ya, this map is all over the place with errors! I have seen so many cobra style lights that are not being changed for whatever reason, and others that are not even on the map on my daily walks. I wonder if the Region even checks this conversion map for mistakes?
LED Street Light Conversion Implementation Status as of Aug 31st 2017: ONTRACK
Expected Completion: Apr-2018
Description: Implement the approved recommendation of the LED Street Light Conversation Strategy.
Recent Progress: Approximately 5000 lights have been installed.
Next Steps: Conversion is well underway and will involve the conversion of 16000 streetlights by 2018. Media event on September 7th. The end date for this project has been changed from December 2018 to April 2018.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
That link doesn't work Sad

Just started Forest Heights / WestHeights recently. I noticed the lights the other day and pointed them out to my wife. Her response: "You would notice those."
They did our street the other day (Stirling)....missing the warm glow of the good 'ol sodium lights...lights aren't overly bright, so that's nice, considering it's all residential.
I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's a bit strange looking out of my window from my couch and seeing total darkness. (I can only see the unlit side of the street from the window)
Looking at the GIS data for streetlights "not participating", I assume some of these are the Queen Street lights, and a big part is lights already installed along the LRT route.  But what are the others?  Are they lights already converted, or lights that should not be converted for some reason?

Anything that's not the standard cobra-head fixture isn't being changed. I'm sure there are other reasons too.
Some are under other construction plans, some are an incompatible design.

The parkway ones are interesting - I presume this is areas that have not yet been converted to high-mast lighting.

Looks like they include the lights in the tunnel under Westmount at Filsinger Park.
(10-28-2017, 07:36 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Anything that's not the standard cobra-head fixture isn't being changed. I'm sure there are other reasons too.

Yep, I live in Doon South and our neighbourhood has these ghastly faux-antique things that spill light everywhere:

Google Maps: Thomas Slee Street View

They're not being touched according to the GIS map.   Sad
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »