Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
(11-10-2017, 12:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 12:02 PM)jgsz Wrote: I wonder if it will include the former Mayfair Hotel site.

It's not listed for sale, but I expect a deal could be made ... but the current property excludes the buildings (and the empty lot) at the corner of Young St.

I was curious because hoarding went up recently around the Mayfair site.

I saw that, too. Assuming it's for construction purposes, it could be a coincidence. However, there are no building permits issued for either property so it's difficult to say at the moment.
The hoarding went up while they were setting up for Oktoberfest, and was plastered with signage during the festivities at City Hall - I assumed it was for that and nothing more
I was always under the impression that the former Mayfair site was a totally separate entity.
(11-11-2017, 09:19 AM)Spokes Wrote: I was always under the impression that the former Mayfair site was a totally separate entity.

It is and I think it will remain so.  If there were ever a City Centre Phase III, I'd hope it would be along Duke extending to the corner of Ontario.
(11-11-2017, 09:19 AM)Spokes Wrote: I was always under the impression that the former Mayfair site was a totally separate entity.

I'm still not totally convinced that it's a separate entity.

In 2007, Terry Pender wrote:

Quote:"The third phase is the redevelopment of the Mayfair Hotel, and the building next door and we see that roughly in the 2011 time frame," Smith said.

...and this from a realty company:

Quote: It features dead-centre location next to City Hall, and more importantly, tied to the development is renovation and conversion of the aged Mayfair hotel into a refined boutique hotel and restaurant. 
First time I've heard it suggested that the Mayfair site isn't Bernie Nimer's property. He has been quoted in the past of having plans for the site, although what he seems not to have is any sense of urgency .....

(11-11-2017, 02:56 PM)BrianT Wrote: It was owned by the City of Kitchener and then sold to Andrin Homes as part of the City Centre development.  
https://historicallyspeakingkitchener.wo...air-hotel/

Great picture of the King St Mall!
(11-11-2017, 02:56 PM)BrianT Wrote: It was owned by the City of Kitchener and then sold to Andrin Homes as part of the City Centre development.  
https://historicallyspeakingkitchener.wo...air-hotel/

I'm really surprised.  I don't understand then why Nimer was so involved prior to and during the demolition.  He certainly cast himself as the owner/developer and, iirc, he was reported by the Record to be the "owner" ordered by the City to demolish the building  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3036601 .  Weird.
At one point I believe that the Mayfair portion of the project was going to be developed separate from the residential towers by a different team. It could be been sold at that point.

Wasn't their pretty specific time lines layed out by the city as to when building permits and construction had to start by as a condition of the sale? I am surprised that the project as lingered on for such a long period.
(11-11-2017, 07:39 PM)rangersfan Wrote: At one point I believe that the Mayfair portion of the project was going to be developed separate from the residential towers by a different team. It could be been sold at that point.

Wasn't their pretty specific time lines layed out by the city as to when building permits and construction had to start by as a condition of the sale? I am surprised that the project as lingered on for such a long period.

According to this article Nimer bought the Mayfair Hotel in 2013.

Quote:"This is a huge shot in the arm for the centre of downtown," Glenn-Graham said. "This is the kind of intensification we really need."

The Mayfair Hotel will be redeveloped by Bernie Nimer — a local developer who has several downtown properties. The Mayfair was sold to Nimer a couple of months ago.
Wasn't there part of the original sale that said Andrin had to start each phase by certain dates? Is that no longer a thing?
If they want to save on the development charges, they'll need the building permit by early 2019.

I'm sure they'll get a deal.
(11-15-2017, 03:00 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: I'm sure they'll get a deal.

Unless the council decides to extend the downtown exemption again, I personally doubt they would get the fees waived if they miss the 2019-02-29 deadline for an issued building permit.

Quote:Staff is recommending the following estimated minimum timeframes to submit complete applications:
  • Official Plan Amendments - Nov. 1, 2017 
  • Zoning By-law amendments - Jan. 8, 2018
  • Site Plan Approval - March 1, 2018
  • Building permit  - May 1, 2018
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »