Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
(11-09-2017, 02:02 AM)Square Wrote: Make it 50 stories, then we will know that Insider was right all along, lol

Now that is funny stuff right there !!!

WRC has a long memory .... Smile
(11-09-2017, 02:02 AM)Square Wrote: Make it 50 stories, then we will know that Insider was right all along, lol

Let's not forget the "sky bridge" to no-where or just for tourists to see the WR view  Huh
Was it ever confirmed anywhere that this project (sans possible added storeys) has sold out?
Not sold out since they are launching remainder of suites on dec 7th. Plus they added 5 new floors.
http://charliewest.ca/event
(11-13-2017, 03:50 PM)skyrise32 Wrote: Not sold out since they are launching remainder of suites on dec 7th. Plus they added 5 new floors.

So, a new tallest for the Region?
(11-13-2017, 05:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 03:50 PM)skyrise32 Wrote: Not sold out since they are launching remainder of suites on dec 7th. Plus they added 5 new floors.

So, a new tallest for the Region?

That's what they're claiming. Website says:

Quote:CHARLIE WEST IS RELEASING 5 NEW FLOORS OF EXCLUSIVE LAYOUTS!

These new floors will make Charlie West the tallest building in Kitchener Waterloo! The interest in Charlie West has been outstanding. Register today for your exclusive invitation to this event and get first access to the newly released suites!
Guess we should update the thread title to 31 floors.

Wow, very exciting!!
How high could they go based on the zoning? Also, I would wonder how high they could go before they run into engineering limitations on the lower floors and/or City infrastructure nearby (eg water/sewage).
(11-17-2017, 03:36 PM)nms Wrote: How high could they go based on the zoning? Also, I would wonder how high they could go before they run into engineering limitations on the lower floors and/or City infrastructure nearby (eg water/sewage).

It's unlimited but within reason. No height restrictions.

Obviously though the city wouldn't want such a massive building as being their first truly true skyscraper and by that I mean being 20 or 30 floors higher than the second highest.

By the time this is built, I believe the one at Victoria will have already been completed with 21 floors, and the old glove factory at 23, and Drewlo at 22, having a building 8 floors higher won't stick out too much like a sore thumb.
Technically no height restriction, but floor area ratios do still apply, effectively limiting height.
(11-17-2017, 05:30 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 03:36 PM)nms Wrote: How high could they go based on the zoning? Also, I would wonder how high they could go before they run into engineering limitations on the lower floors and/or City infrastructure nearby (eg water/sewage).

It's unlimited but within reason. No height restrictions.

Obviously though the city wouldn't want such a massive building as being their first truly true skyscraper and by that I mean being 20 or 30 floors higher than the second highest.

By the time this is built, I believe the one at Victoria will have already been completed with 21 floors, and the old glove factory at 23, and Drewlo at 22, having a building 8 floors higher won't stick out too much like a sore thumb.

What's wrong with having a landmark building that stands out? I don't have a problem with that. Many cities actually have that.
I wasn't concerned about height in general but more about whether the associated staff planning report had any comment on the impact on water and sewer in the area. Presumably the staff response was something akin to, "the current predicted input/output is within the capacity of our existing infrastructure." Increased height would mean more required capacity.

I've also never understood how floor area ratios work.

(11-20-2017, 02:25 PM)nms Wrote: I wasn't concerned about height in general but more about whether the associated staff planning report had any comment on the impact on water and sewer in the area.  Presumably the staff response was something akin to, "the current predicted input/output is within the capacity of our existing infrastructure." Increased height would mean more required capacity.

I've also never understood how floor area ratios work.

divide the floor area (square footage) of the building by the area of the site. If your site is 5,000sf and you have a 10,000 sft building, you have a 2.0 FAR. FAR is actually more typical south of the border, most canadian cities use FSI, or Floor Space Index. They mean the same thing.

Infrastructure needs of an additional 5 floors would be marginal. I would not expect it to cause issues.
(11-23-2017, 01:44 PM)innsertnamehere Wrote: Infrastructure needs of an additional 5 floors would be marginal. I would not expect it to cause issues.

That's 50-60 units, with maybe around 100 people. That does require significant electricity, gas and water/sewage, but hopefully there is enough safety margin in the current plans to accommodate that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »