Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
I'd certainly buy a condo there! Big Grin

I think we'll see some sort of development where the base and transit components can be built with towers added on later.
(11-17-2017, 03:27 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 08:09 AM)jamincan Wrote: I have no idea what the market is for hotels in KW right now, but this would be a excellent location.

I would love a hotel with conference facilities capable of supporting upwards of 1000 people. I am pretty sure it would be terribly unsuccessful but I feel it's something the city is seriously lacking. Bingeman's and Lot42 are so terribly inconvenient.

Agreed, and in this location it would be possible to have events to which people can easily get to from Toronto (once train service is running).
(11-20-2017, 12:44 AM)mpd618 Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 03:27 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I would love a hotel with conference facilities capable of supporting upwards of 1000 people. I am pretty sure it would be terribly unsuccessful but I feel it's something the city is seriously lacking. Bingeman's and Lot42 are so terribly inconvenient.

Agreed, and in this location it would be possible to have events to which people can easily get to from Toronto (once train service is running).

So maybe it could make sense in one of the later phases, when we might (!) have all-day GO service running ...
RFP for HUB to be issued.

Update here.

"The transit-related components of the project are targeted to be complete by the end of 2021 with full build-out of the private mixed-use development expected by the end of 2027, subject to market demand."

"It is expected that the Steering Committee will make a final recommendation for Council approval by November, 2018."

• Developer to be selected in 2017-2018.
• Construction may begin as early 2019.
• All transit features, that allow buses and trains to arrive and depart from the transit hub, are anticipated to be completed by 2021- 2022.
• Mixed- use development with space for retail, office and residential uses are anticipated to be completed between 2023 – 2028.

" The proponent will be required to work with the artist to incorporate the commissioned piece into their final design. Additionally, the proponent will be required to include embedded art into their design." ($300,000 for free-standing public art to be funded from proceeds of sale from the project.)

"it is recommended that the Region require 5% or 30 units of affordable housing, whichever is less, to be provided under the terms of the Capital Grant and RDC Grant programs...Based on other developments in the vicinity, it appears more likely that condominiums will be proposed. Based on expected sales prices, the amount of Regional funding
needed to support affordable housing at this site is likely prohibitive. Accordingly, the Steering Committee has proposed that the Region apply a portion of the net proceeds from the disposition of the KVTH Lands to facilitate construction of affordable housing units."

Some of the many Design Requirements
• Gateway into downtown
• Maximize the site's overall development potential.
• Civic character; exhibited through scale, materiality and quality
• The revised zoning allows for greater density, more diverse uses and nomaximum height limit
• A strong street podium defines King and Victoria Street
• Reinforce and emphasize the landmark nature of the development, featuring contemporary, innovative and high quality architectural design
• Towers shall be taller near the intersection of King and Victoria to create a focal point over the Transit Hall and lower near Rumpel Felt building to provide a transitional scale to the neighbourhood to the east
• Maintain and enhance neighbourhood connectivity.
• Iconic facility within the City of Kitchener’s Innovation District
• Respects the history of the area and catalyzes further development
• Use the entire 1913 Rumpel Felt building i.e. do not rely on conserving the facade alone
• Pedestrian walkway intended to connect pedestrians and cyclists to both the Iron Horse Trail in the west and the Waterloo Spur Line Trail in the east
• Pedestrian Access will be at two levels
• Vehicle access from Duke St is limited due to Transport Canada requirements
• The bus loop will accommodate five bays for coach buses, three lay-bay spaces and one mobility mini-bus bay
• The developer must provide 87 bicycle parking stalls in the School of Pharmacy Access, GO/VIA level in proximity to Transit Hall, Transit Plaza and Public Square near the major entrances.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
So when the RFQ went out, there was only one response, does this mean we are limited to 1 or less responses for the RFP phase?
(03-18-2018, 07:38 AM)rangersfan Wrote: So when the RFQ went out, there was only one response, does this mean we are limited to 1 or less responses for the RFP phase?

Yes. If you follow the links, you will find this:
Quote:An RFQ process generated one qualified submission from King Victoria Transit Hub Partners Inc. (KVTH Partners Inc.), which is a consortium of Ellis Don Capital, Kilmer Group and Perimeter Development Corp. The next step in the process, as directed in report COR-FFM-17-17/COR-TRY-17-87 dated October 3, 2017, is to invite KVTH Partners Inc. (the proponent) to respond to a Request for Proposal (RFP) for purchase by negotiation.

I am quite happy with the requirements they have laid out. Now let's see what KVTH comes up with.

I wonder how they arrived at requiring 87 bicycle spots.
(03-18-2018, 08:56 AM)clasher Wrote: I wonder how they arrived at requiring 87 bicycle spots.

I was looking at 5% or 30 units being affordable, that calculates to a total of 600 units on that site. Unsure if 5% is a low number for affordability. But 600 units altogether is quite impressive. IT will for sure be a focal point of the city!
Want to be a part of the future transit hub?

https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/explo...t-hub.aspx
Note that only qualified applicants will be selected, but still would be very good.
Correct. Qualifications would be very helpful, as there are only two ad hoc positions on the panel.

Quote:The JDRP will have a minimum of six (6) members, excluding the chair, and shall be comprised of at least two architects, an urban designer and one landscape architect. Public art, engineering and planning experts would also be invited to apply. To balance expertise on the Panel, or to help ensure quorum, the KVTH Steering Committee may choose to approve two ad hoc panelists from the list of applicants or from the Metrolinx Design Review Panel roster. The maximum size of the JDRP is eight (8) panelists.
"To fill the remaining positions, Metrolinx Design Excellence will select two (2) Panel
members from the current Metrolinx Design Review Panel roster of recognized
architects, urban designers, landscape architects, engineering, and planning experts."

So the ad-hoc positions still aren't really open.

(04-17-2018, 11:56 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: "To fill the remaining positions, Metrolinx Design Excellence will select two (2) Panel
members from the current Metrolinx Design Review Panel roster of recognized
architects, urban designers, landscape architects, engineering, and planning experts."

So the ad-hoc positions still aren't really open.

Not quite. Metrolinx will select two, to bring the expert panel to four.  But the steering committee can select two ad hoc panelists, as I quoted above:

Quote:KVTH Steering Committee may choose to approve two ad hoc panelists from the list of applicants or from the Metrolinx Design Review Panel roster.
I still read that as the panel requiring applicants to be for positions (2 architect, urban designer, landscape architect)
"Panelists shall be chosen in the following way:
1. The KVTH Project Team and City of Kitchener Planning Division will jointly solicit
applications from qualified individuals with recognized expertise in architecture, urban
design, landscape architecture, public art, transportation engineering, and planning. "

They *have* to have 2 architects, 1 urban designer, and 1 landscape architect. But the remaining two spots could be 2 architects, 2 urban designers, or any combination of peoples deemed to be qualified applications as per above, in addition to the Metrolinx variety. Which still does not have unqualified individuals as acceptable members.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »