Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
Do we know that flight is actually sold out and not cancelled? I just assume that means the flight was cancelled. So now there's no seats and the ticketing system represents no available seats as "sold out". Sort of similar to the likely charter flight we saw before.

There's been land for sale there for awhile that I think was Fountain to Kossuth. I'm glad the newspaper article pointed out the reasons that the "No more debt" is kind of a silly argument. Its income producing and is very likely to appreciate at least in line with inflation. Much worse ways for the region to spend money. And of course its much better to grow amicably then have to expropriate.

(11-24-2017, 09:01 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-24-2017, 12:48 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Region spending $4.1 million dollars to buy a farm near YKF for possible future expansion.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/796...r-airport/

It's 144 acres, so I'm thinking it's the whole area to the south of the airport along Fountain?  All the way down to Kossuth?

This parcel is ~140 acres according to the Region's GIS:

(11-24-2017, 09:01 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: “Cancelled” is super-bad and definitely incorrect because it could give somebody the impression the flight is, yah know, cancelled.

Not incorrect at all... I can confirm the flight is not coming, nor will one depart today.

The "Sold Out" must be a way of blocking any add'l sales on the website.

Coke
(11-24-2017, 10:18 AM)SammyOES Wrote: Do we know that flight is actually sold out and not cancelled?  I just assume that means the flight was cancelled.  So now there's no seats and the ticketing system represents no available seats as "sold out".  Sort of similar to the likely charter flight we saw before.

Interesting point. If this is true, then “sold out” is incorrect and the ticketing system should say it’s cancelled.

(11-24-2017, 10:18 AM)SammyOES Wrote: There's been land for sale there for awhile that I think was Fountain to Kossuth.  I'm glad the newspaper article pointed out the reasons that the "No more debt" is kind of a silly argument.  Its income producing and is very likely to appreciate at least in line with inflation.  Much worse ways for the region to spend money.  And of course its much better to grow amicably then have to expropriate.

Definitely agreed. I was disappointed by Sean Strickland — he usually seems pretty sensible. But the idea that we shouldn’t buy potentially strategic land for a good price when it is available just because we have a policy of only doing airport improvements when they are actually needed is absurd. If the discussion were about developing the land for airport purposes by extending the passenger terminal or building a new runway or something, then he would be right and probably supported by the rest of Council. You can’t just buy land whenever you want to. By the time we want the land for the airport, it could have houses on it and be infeasible to purchase.
They must really be bullish on future growth to be buying when their current visible prospects aren't too positive.
(11-24-2017, 12:17 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(11-24-2017, 09:01 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: “Cancelled” is super-bad and definitely incorrect because it could give somebody the impression the flight is, yah know, cancelled.

Not incorrect at all...  I can confirm the flight is not coming, nor will one depart today.  

Coke

That’s different. In that case, the ticketing system is incorrect, and should report the flight as cancelled, not sold out.

All too often systems are created without sufficient thought given to all the possible circumstances that can occur, leading to an insufficient repertoire of status codes being used, resulting in the distribution of incorrect information.
(11-24-2017, 12:45 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: They must really be bullish on future growth to be buying when their current visible prospects aren't too positive.

I was hoping the purchased land was to the east to enable the runway to be extended.

(11-24-2017, 12:51 PM)jgsz Wrote: I was hoping the purchased land was to the east to enable the runway to be extended.

Ditto, was hoping for a future Shantz tunnel and an extended runway (not that I have any clue what our actual needs are, just that it would be cool).
The federal government purchased thousands of acres in north Pickering for an airport that is still just a pipe dream. This seems much tamer in comparison (and as the article mentions, we'll get rental income in the meantime).
(11-24-2017, 02:19 PM)KevinL Wrote: The federal government purchased thousands of acres in north Pickering for an airport that is still just a pipe dream. This seems much tamer in comparison (and as the article mentions, we'll get rental income in the meantime).

That land was expropriated, too, which introduces a number of other issues. By contrast in our case we have a willing seller. I’m actually a bit surprised that investors didn’t buy the land on the assumption that the airport will grow and need expansion. But that’s looking like a pretty long-term bet so maybe there are better investments elsewhere.
I think it would be a poor investment for most people. You won't be allowed to build more houses on it and it would be hard to sell to someone wanting to live there long term because expropriation is always an option. And on the other end, hoping for expropriation has a pretty limited upside in that they're never going to buy for significantly higher than market prices.
(11-24-2017, 03:30 PM)SammyOES Wrote: I think it would be a poor investment for most people.  You won't be allowed to build more houses on it and it would be hard to sell to someone wanting to live there long term because expropriation is always an option.  And on the other end, hoping for expropriation has a pretty limited upside in that they're never going to buy for significantly higher than market prices.

That land would like;y never be zoned residential.....  It is a great investment.  Like they pointed out, it will still generate income...
I don't understand, its already got a house on it and I assume is zoned agricultural so my point was just that no other new houses could be built/sold.

For a standalone investor its unlikely to be worth it because the rental income generated by a house and < 140 acres of farm land isn't going to justify a 4 million dollar purchase price. It's a good investment for the region only because of the airport and likely future plans to expand. That doesn't apply to anybody else.

(11-24-2017, 11:44 AM)kps Wrote:
(11-24-2017, 09:01 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It's 144 acres, so I'm thinking it's the whole area to the south of the airport along Fountain?  All the way down to Kossuth?

This parcel is ~140 acres according to the Region's GIS:

It would be interesting to see this new parcel, together with an outline of the airport's existing land holdings.
(11-24-2017, 12:17 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:

Not incorrect at all...  I can confirm the flight is not coming, nor will one depart today.  

Coke

Cancelled due to no tickets sold, I wonder?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »