Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(11-28-2017, 06:10 PM)Markster Wrote: Yeah, I don't see a major national/regional chain moving in for a long while.
They have their business plans.  Either a suburban store with ample parking, or an urban format designed for Toronto or Vancouver density.

I would expect to get something more local.  Kind of like Waterloo Central Supermarket in Campus Court plaza near the University.

Loblaw Corp has the Value-Mart in Uptown Waterloo. If the model for a medium to large store wasn't working they would have closed Value-Mart in the latest round of closing 50 non-profitable stores in November. More condos/rentals equal a changing eco-data market.

IMO: I believe a company like Loblaw will be wanting to add a Zehrs location to downtown with a Shoppers Drug inside it or in the same footprint under the podium area. That would allow them to vacate the Shoppers City Hall location. All that said nothing will be happening until 2020 or 2021 for leases. They have dozens of brands for just grocery stores alone.

Valu-mart is a franchised brand, so the decision to close it would generally be up to the franchisee and not corporate. Zehrs however is a corporate owned brand, so subject to different considerations.
Valu Mart only works because you are at the nexus of two main roads (King and Erb probably represent nearly the busiest roads in Waterloo), and because you have mountains of parking. There aren't many options of that size in Downtown Kitchener, and with the no-streetfront-parking rules, creating a parking lot of that size wouldn't happen.
(12-04-2017, 10:01 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Valu Mart only works because you are at the nexus of two main roads (King and Erb probably represent nearly the busiest roads in Waterloo), and because you have mountains of parking. There aren't many options of that size in Downtown Kitchener, and with the no-streetfront-parking rules, creating a parking lot of that size wouldn't happen.

One assumes that the Manulife project would include parking for the supermarket.
The scale of that parking lot, I wouldn't think compares favourably with Valu-Mart, if that's a benchmark, or Central Fresh.
Construction fencing is up and soil testing is happening on the vacant lot at Ottawa and King.
When I attempt to go to the Kitchener GIS active permits page I get the error "
You are not authorized to access this application." Is anyone else getting this? I was trying to see if anything was listed for King and Ottawa St.

(12-07-2017, 05:53 PM)rangersfan Wrote: When I attempt to go to the Kitchener GIS active permits page I get the error "
You are not authorized to access this application." Is anyone else getting this? I was trying to see if anything was listed for King and Ottawa St.

Yes. I get that error too. Started around the time they changed over their website. I let them know at the time, but obviously they haven't fixed it yet. Time to poke them again I guess.

I can still use the non-GIS version though; you just need to know the exact address beforehand.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
You can search just by street and look through all the permits on either Ottawa or King Street (in this case). You don't need to enter an address number to search.
I did that but couldn't find anything, I assume that corner is Ottawa St N. Unless it is a King St address.
CBRE has put out some book of projects, which has some new render of 132 Queen, soI guess I can announce that we (Alert Labs) will be the main tenant of the building now!

[Image: JF61mdV.jpg]

We move in February 1st! There's a beautiful atrium that's being restored which will have living walls, and we've added a large patio on the one side as well as expanded many of the windows.

[Image: yDx99VP.jpg]
Awesome -- congratulations!

Will MAJiK stay in the building as well or will you be taking over their space?
MAJiK has just moved in, so they'll be staying. For now at least. As we expand, who can say what'll happen Smile

(12-08-2017, 09:04 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I did that but couldn't find anything, I assume that corner is Ottawa St N. Unless it is a King St address.

I think this work is just for the Ottawa street reconstruction for next year.
Very exciting! I'm excited to see what it looks like inside once you've moved in
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »