Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Hopefully not the leaves issue, because our LRV’s are equipped with sanding systems, and electromagnetic track brakes, which act directly against the rails, independent of wheel-to-rail friction (or lack therof).

Light Rail systems are surprisingly robust. This one always gets me:

Not being a big “electricity” guy, it always baffles me how this is possible!

(01-05-2018, 10:55 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-05-2018, 12:37 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: It may seem innocent, but language matters, and it is important to be an ally and recognize that patriarchy is so deeply rooted and commonplace in our language that it contributes to asserting dominance of one gender over another (MANager, fireMAN, chairMAN, MANkind, MANpower, dissemination, etc.).

"Manager" has the letters "M", "A" and "N" so it may seem a masculine origin, but that's actually a false assumption.  It has the same roots as "manual" -- hand ("manus" in Latin).

From Wikipedia:
Quote:The English verb "manage" comes from the Italian maneggiare (to handle, especially tools or a horse), which derives from the two Latin words manus (hand) and agere (to act).

Wow, I missed seeing that “manager” was given as an example of a supposedly problematic word. I did notice that “disseminate” was on the list with zero hint as to what is supposed to be wrong with it, but only saw the highlighted “MAN” in “manager” and didn’t notice the rest of the word. This kind of silliness gives actual promotion of equality and fairness a bad name. There are still enough problems with discrimination that those who wish to reduce discrimination should avoid doing things that bring disrepute upon their cause.

I actually can respect the opinion that “she” (and therefore, also “he”) should be avoided for inanimate objects (hmmm, are vehicles really “inanimate”?), but this preachy way of promoting it isn’t helping anybody.
(01-05-2018, 01:40 PM)Canard Wrote: Hopefully not the leaves issue, because our LRV’s are equipped with sanding systems, and electromagnetic track brakes, which act directly against the rails, independent of wheel-to-rail friction (or lack therof).

So... the EM track brakes are for stopping and the sanding is for accelerating?
(01-05-2018, 01:40 PM)Canard Wrote: Hopefully not the leaves issue, because our LRV’s are equipped with sanding systems, and electromagnetic track brakes, which act directly against the rails, independent of wheel-to-rail friction (or lack therof).

Light Rail systems are surprisingly robust. This one always gets me:

Not being a big “electricity” guy, it always baffles me how this is possible!

The steel track is a stronger conductor than the water and since the power is from overhead there's no risk of short circuiting since the rails are just ground return. you wouldn't be able to get away with that with third-rail though which is why when Union Station floods the subway pretty much shuts down in Toronto.
One time when I was working in Toronto, someone said they shouldn't electrify because of the climate. Apparently they missed that they got to the office on an electric streetcar.
(01-05-2018, 02:44 PM)chutten Wrote:

So... the EM track brakes are for stopping and the sanding is for accelerating?

The EM track brakes (I like that!) are for stopping, yes, but sanding can help for both accelerating and decelerating - since it increases the traction of the wheels to the rails, and the wheels are normally used for accelerating and braking.

The EM track brakes are only activated in emergencies - IIRC they are only energized when the operator pushes the E-Stop (big red button).  They're not normally ever used - the deceleration is so abrupt it would throw standing passengers.  In other words, you only ever use it to save a life outside the LRV, at the risk of causing a few bumps and bruises to passengers inside.

This Russian dude does a great job of explaining how they work:

And here's a couple of photos I took of them on 501, shot during offloading:

So is Canad's referring to them as "him" also unacceptable, or just female gendered terms?

Don't get me wrong, Canard. I am not offended by you calling them "him", but then I'm not offended by people referring to them as " her" or "she" either (no doubt I will be assailed for this position). I do find it odd to anthropomorphize an inanimate object mind you. I just don't see it as offensive, just odd.

Thanks for the pics and vids! Very entertaining and interesting.
Ooo, here's a good one:

(01-05-2018, 06:55 PM)Canard Wrote: Ooo, here's a good one:

Wow that is pretty damn fast!
Wow! That is fast! Cool video, Canard!
(01-05-2018, 02:01 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I did notice that “disseminate” was on the list with zero hint as to what is supposed to be wrong with it

Won't somebody please think of the plant embryos?

(My 2019 New Year's resolution will be to resist shitposting.)
501 spent the weekend up at Randall Drive, and hasn’t made its way back down to the Lancaster Yard yet. I imagine it’ll come down Monday night (Tuesday morning).

I'm just hoping they don't deliver 505 while I'm on my vacation next week.
Did we ever land on how many flatbed cars are available for deliveries? I find it hard that there is only one, but it has been the same flatbed each time so far hasn't it?

If there is only one though that is essentially 1 week to get it here and unload + 1 week to send it back and re-load x 9 remaining = 18 weeks or mid-May just to get the rest delivered here nevermind burn-in/testing/simulated service.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »