Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
Another public consultation session is coming up later this month, this time in Kitchener.

At an odd spot for something that concerns points south and east of Fairway...
So it wasn't just me. Then again, aside from the Stanley Park area I'm not sure there *is* anywhere else that's close to the LRT route.
Is there not a community centre on Morgan Avenue near Chicopee?
Why does it matter where the public consultation is? One of them was at the big A-Framed one on Wilson at the river one time, nowhere near the line.
(01-08-2018, 08:17 PM)KevinL Wrote: Is there not a community centre on Morgan Avenue near Chicopee?

There is....their is also one right by Lions arena (Country Hills Community Centre). So unless they're expect a lot of people showing up, it would have made more sense to have it at Centreville-Chicopee Community Centre, literally a short walk to the LRT.
(01-08-2018, 09:58 PM)Canard Wrote: Why does it matter where the public consultation is?  One of them was at the big A-Framed one on Wilson at the river one time, nowhere near the line.

Kingsdale Community Centre (formerly Patrick Dougherty Arena)

Article on possible GO Train stations in Cambridge and some LRT phase 2 talk.
In this article 'Karl Kiefer ' seems to have eaten some seriously sour grapes.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/camb...-1.3770866
I don't know if Karl sees how he comes off, but to some, that sounds a bit like "It feels like the region ignores Cambridge, and we in Cambridge would prefer to drive to Milton or Hamilton to catch a GO train, rather than Kitchener, in case you wondered how we felt about the region and its other cities."
(01-24-2018, 10:55 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I don't know if Karl sees how he comes off, but to some, that sounds a bit like "It feels like the region ignores Cambridge, and we in Cambridge would prefer to drive to Milton or Hamilton to catch a GO train, rather than Kitchener, in case you wondered how we felt about the region and its other cities."

Agreed.

My response to his statement would be: "OK, and...?" Tongue
(01-24-2018, 10:55 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I don't know if Karl sees how he comes off, but to some, that sounds a bit like "It feels like the region ignores Cambridge, and we in Cambridge would prefer to drive to Milton or Hamilton to catch a GO train, rather than Kitchener, in case you wondered how we felt about the region and its other cities."

In a previous life, I worked for the Region doing the Smoking By-Law.  The attitude above is EXACTLY what I dealt with in Cambridge.  They referred to us as the "Nazi's from Kitchener" and would constantly complain that Cambridge didn't want this by-law, Cambridge doesn't want Kitchener* to oversee anything, Kitchener* is always picking on Cambridge, etc.

(* I know Kitchener isn't the Regional Gov't, but no restaurant/bar owner in Cambridge knew that)

Coke
Someone my mother used to work with was looking for work and was told by the person on the phone "Oh, that job's in Cambridge; you won't want to work there" - not realizing she was from Cambridge.

In a job interview in Kitchener, the interviewers made fun of Cambridge to my face.

When the public board wanted to close a high school, Southwood and PHS were on the chopping block; no schools in Kitchener or Waterloo were threatened.

The region has been around since the 70s, but it took until about 15 years ago to get a bus from Cambridge to Kitchener; you had to walk from the top of Shantz Hill to Sportsworld.

We've been trying to get (CP at first but now) GO trains for forty years with little pressure put on CP from the region to make it happen; Kitchener asks once and they get two a day.

Can't imagine why people in Cambridge are a bit miffed.
I bet the board chose those high schools for reasons of demographics and not just because they happen not to like Cambridge.

The bus from Cambridge to and from Kitchener 15 years ago coincides with when the Region started delivering transit. And residents of Kitchener would have had to make the same walk before that.

Is it true that Kitchener only asked once for Go train service?

(01-24-2018, 03:05 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: When the public board wanted to close a high school, Southwood and PHS were on the chopping block; no schools in Kitchener or Waterloo were threatened.

The region has been around since the 70s, but it took until about 15 years ago to get a bus from Cambridge to Kitchener; you had to walk from the top of Shantz Hill to Sportsworld.

We've been trying to get (CP at first but now) GO trains for forty years with little pressure put on CP from the region to make it happen; Kitchener asks once and they get two a day.

Can't imagine why people in Cambridge are a bit miffed.

(1) This mis information is why I have little sympathy for the "woe-is-us" crowd.  In 2003 the WRDSB suggested closing Southwood and KCI (NOT Preston High).  Because of the complaining, both schools survived.  Kitchener residents fought due to the historical value of the building, and the fact a prime minister attended.  Cambridge residents argued that Kitchener was being a bully.  Lets look at the facts at the time.  The public board had 5 High Schools in Cambridge (Jacob Hespeler, Preston, Glenview, Galt, Southwood) vs. 5 High Schools in Kitchener (KCI, Eastwood, Grand River, Cameron Heights, Forest Heights)... a city more than twice the size.  Southwood has operated at less than capacity for a long time, and the decision was a no brainer. (I am Southwood alumni, so I do have skin in the game). 

(2) The region didn't run transit.  If Cambridge Transit could of run a bus to Kitchener, they should have.  Don't blame the Region for city gov't decisions.  [Provincial rules didn't allow them to cross boundries... its actually one of the reasons the REGION took over the CITY's buses is to provide better service to everyone!]

(3) K/W tech companies are the driving force that got GO trains after asking "once".  Maybe when Cambridge lands the next Google campus they will get GO trains.

I'm not saying Cambridge is mis-treated, they are WELL-treated.  They are our Quebec.  Per capita, the City of Cambridge gets more Regional services than other cities in the region, and they still complain.
(01-24-2018, 03:43 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Is it true that Kitchener only asked once for Go train service?

GO service to Kitchener has been a long time in the making, and there were (and are) challenges with trains to Cambridge that don't apply to Kitchener. There's a reasonable-looking history at Transit Toronto:

Quote:In June 2006, the provincial government of Dalton McGuinty established Metrolinx, a crown agency whose task was to look at ways to expand public transportation infrastructure in the GTA. In the summer of 2007, based on Metrolinx's recommendations, the McGuinty government launched MoveOntario 2020, which proposed 52 transit expansion projects over the next thirteen years. Included in these proposals were two projects located within Waterloo Region outside the GTA: the Waterloo Regional LRT, and an extension of the Georgetown GO train to Kitchener to meet it.

There were already proposals to take GO Train service to Waterloo Region by extending the Milton line to Cambridge. However, while Metrolinx and GO Transit (which were later merged) were committed to expanding service on the Milton line, extending service past Milton proved costly. The line the Milton train operates on is a major freight route for Canadian Pacific and, west of Milton, the right-of-way narrows to a single track. Laying down additional track and adding stations gave the Cambridge extension higher start-up costs than service to Kitchener.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »