Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
"It's all weather dependent," Galloway said.

What would be weather dependent? In the last set of TV interviews someone with GrandLinq or the region said that winter was ideal because it was kind of the worst-case scenario.

Noticed a huge sign at King and William 'Trains are testing'; not sure how long it has been there (not buried in snow though)

The use of present tense is promising!
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

What it says for certain is that in no way are they able to start burn-in. If they were, they would want vehicles pronto. Until there is an "immediate, imminent hurry" for trains, you'll know that burn-in hasn't actually started at a fleet-wide level. Which means they don't have a predicted opening date.
(01-09-2018, 05:39 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: What it says for certain is that in no way are they able to start burn-in. If they were, they would want vehicles pronto. Until there is an "immediate, imminent hurry" for trains, you'll know that burn-in hasn't actually started at a fleet-wide level. Which means they don't have a predicted opening date.

Is there any reason they can’t burn-in at Millhaven?

Anyway, burn-in doesn’t need to take more than a week. Simply running the system for a week as if it were in service would handle the burn-in. The real issue is the complete system testing, which is probably more complex than I imagine and could still uncover problems that need correction.
Naturally CTV is spinning it as a big delay when it was already known the shipment was going to happen.
Yup. That's why I'll never give CTV (or any of their staff) any hints or info on any events going on. 570 news, on the other hand, has been running an excellent, balanced, accurate statement all afternoon about it!

(01-09-2018, 05:45 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Is there any reason they can’t burn-in at Millhaven?

Probably, Millhaven is a short track, and it's not on Regional property. If it were me, I'd want to do it here. The plan has always been to do it here.[/quote]

(01-09-2018, 05:45 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Anyway, burn-in doesn’t need to take more than a week. Simply running the system for a week as if it were in service would handle the burn-in. The real issue is the complete system testing, which is probably more complex than I imagine and could still uncover problems that need correction.

Uh, have you done all the math and run the numbers on that, that you can factually say that? (Honestly just wondering)
(01-09-2018, 05:39 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: What it says for certain is that in no way are they able to start burn-in. If they were, they would want vehicles pronto. Until there is an "immediate, imminent hurry" for trains, you'll know that burn-in hasn't actually started at a fleet-wide level. Which means they don't have a predicted opening date.

Yup - this! It just proves that it's not Bombardier that is the hold up. No one seems to have latched on to that hole in the dash and run with it, yet...
They have new signs along King that say trains are testing... Would have snapped a pic but I was in a rush to catch a bus.

(01-09-2018, 07:00 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Naturally CTV is spinning it as a big delay when it was already known the shipment was going to happen.

I've noticed CTV's reporting is often very deficient compared with other news outlets in the region.  I don't have a huge love for everyone at the Record, but on multiple news stories in the past week, CTV has presented less than half the facts.  It's not even biased in some cases, just lacking.
CTV's reports today were absolute utter garbage filth trash.

Meanwhile, 570 News, The Record (and CBC in other articles) have all been impartial, accurate and generally just gone for the facts - unlike CTV, which has to spin this ultra-drama bullshit. I can't stand it.
(01-09-2018, 07:14 PM)Canard Wrote: Yup.  That's why I'll never give CTV (or any of their staff) any hints or info on any events going on.  570 news, on the other hand, has been running an excellent, balanced, accurate statement all afternoon about it!

(01-09-2018, 05:45 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Is there any reason they can’t burn-in at Millhaven?

Probably, Millhaven is a short track, and it's not on Regional property.  If it were me, I'd want to do it here.  The plan has always been to do it here.

(01-09-2018, 05:45 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Anyway, burn-in doesn’t need to take more than a week. Simply running the system for a week as if it were in service would handle the burn-in. The real issue is the complete system testing, which is probably more complex than I imagine and could still uncover problems that need correction.

Uh, have you done all the math and run the numbers on that, that you can factually say that?  (Honestly just wondering)

Thanks for the Millhaven information, that makes sense. Back and forth all day on a short track would be very tedious and is pretty different from operational use anyway.

I believe I’ve seen 600km being given as a number for how far each vehicle needs to be driven for burn-in. Assuming that is correct, we need something like 20 round trips of the system or about 30 hours of driving. That is less than a full week of service so I would say that running phantom service for a week would be plenty. Of course if my number for how much distance is needed for burn-in is wrong, then my estimate will also be wrong.
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipI...tPageNum=1

The CTV piece does have some frustrating parts, referring to the shipping back of the LRT as "sneaking", interviewing an individual who touts a 2020 launch, but it does claim the region still believes a spring 2018 launch window is possible. It also correctly assesses the cost of shipping to Bombardier (something the vast majority of FB commenters seem to not have heard), and also, I feel, correctly states that communications from the region were not clear in the fact that 501 was not operational on delivery.
(01-09-2018, 09:02 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I believe I’ve seen 600km being given as a number for how far each vehicle needs to be driven for burn-in. Assuming that is correct, we need something like 20 round trips of the system--

Ima stop you right there. Burn-in is only on the test track.
(01-09-2018, 09:57 PM)Canard Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 09:02 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I believe I’ve seen 600km being given as a number for how far each vehicle needs to be driven for burn-in. Assuming that is correct, we need something like 20 round trips of the system--

Ima stop you right there.  Burn-in is only on the test track.

At this point wouldn't we be able to change it and just use the whole system instead of just the test track area?

Here is the sign:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Suppose so. Sure. But I don't consider moving slowly at urban speeds much of a "burn in"... if I take a car for a test drive, I'm going to take it out on the highway, not drive it slowly around city streets and a parking lot.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »