Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
(Eaton) Lofts at 276
(01-30-2017, 02:26 PM)KevinL Wrote: Might the LCBO go in here after all?

I think if it were, it would already be there.

Would it make sense that a potential candidate is waiting out the construction? Or the landlord waiting things out as well
The only real downtown spaces that are available, that fit the LCBO single-floor footprint, are Eaton's and Budd's, but it seems LCBO hasn't signed up for either one.

I think LCBO would be fabulous in the Public Utilities Commission building at King & Gaukel, though.
The purchases needs to be leased for much or any work to be done. We have a good number of jobs wanting to locate in the core, but not typically enough to activate all kinds of these developments at once; recall that the office building tower (shorter one) above Apollo was/is being converted into single bedroom rentals. The new grocery store going in off the lane will probably also cause pause for anyone considering grocery retail in that location, just as the LCBO currently caught by the intermodal hub will almost assuredly take the good lease deal (for a to-be-developed SIXO property) as long as they can, were it to be a possibility for the space.
Walked by this morning. Along the Water Street side were two large waste bins and a group of at least 6 people clearing debris out of the main floor. I didn't gawk, but there was a set of doors wide open as I passed and it looked like there was a very large pile of waste (boards, drywall, the usual sort of construction/renovation detritus) that they were tackling.
There is now fencing on King St and some of the foam stucco has been removed above one of the windows.
Snapped a couple of pics, around 8:30am today.

King Street

[Image: nnexHSC.jpg]

Water Street

[Image: BeE7BcK.jpg]

The fencing goes all the way around. They're doing a nice job of leaving a lot of space for pedestrians, which I appreciate.

(01-29-2018, 01:15 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: The fencing goes all the way around. They're doing a nice job of leaving a lot of space for pedestrians, which I appreciate.

Ooh, this is exciting!  Maybe something significant is actually happening here!
(01-29-2018, 01:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 01:15 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: The fencing goes all the way around. They're doing a nice job of leaving a lot of space for pedestrians, which I appreciate.

Ooh, this is exciting!  Maybe something significant is actually happening here!

Like a teardown??
(01-29-2018, 01:26 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 01:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Ooh, this is exciting!  Maybe something significant is actually happening here!

Like a teardown??

I think I read somewhere before that one of the big players in town bought the lower section to redevelop...
Perimeter Developments I believe
Yep, it's on their site: http://perimeterdevelopment.com/projects...reet-west/
Question is, do they have a full lease-out, or are they doing some work to make fit-out easier in order to attract lesees after so long sitting fallow?

Landlords will not normally do leasehold improvements without a committed tenant, as every tenant wants something different. I don't know any specifics here, but I do suspect they have found a tenant.
Fingers crossed. It has been sitting empty and looking dumpy for far too long.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »