Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Are we going to have to buy different tickets to get on the ION? I haven't used the bus system in years but I would hope that the same cash fare gets me 2 hours of riding on any mode of transit. I was actually more of a fan of just calling all of it GRT and not having ION or iXpress or any other branding.

(02-04-2015, 09:25 PM)clasher Wrote: Are we going to have to buy different tickets to get on the ION?

No. It will be an integrated fare system.
(02-04-2015, 02:56 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: I think the plan is to have Ion LRT and Ion aBRT be one and the same brand. Same livery, tickets, etc.

So should the current iXpress routes be renamed Ion routes?  I say yes.  And not just because I've hated the iXpress name since the start.
(02-04-2015, 09:25 PM)clasher Wrote: I was actually more of a fan of just calling all of it GRT and not having ION or iXpress or any other branding.

I hope we don't do that. Imagine if we'd have not gotten the different branding for iXpress - exact name aside. We'd be much more likely to see people asking for it to detour (legitimately to lower their walk/transfers or to get their commute plowed earlier), we'd be harder pressed to stick to frequency issues or stop spacing. To degrade it to a regular GRT route would be much easier.

With ION, you won't be able to see anyone suggest hourly service (as though half hour isn't a huge issue on your spine), you won't be able to curl the route, etc. Importantly, when you hear that an iXpress line is coming, you know that it really means something. There are many routes I've never used, but I make a point to get on iXpress ones just to discover how much more accessible our community becomes with them.
(02-05-2015, 07:36 AM)Spokes Wrote: So should the current iXpress routes be renamed Ion routes?  I say yes.  And not just because I've hated the iXpress name since the start.

I think that the ION name should be reserved for a high level of service - all-day service with headways under 10 minutes, limited-stop pattern, substantial transit priority measures, all-door boarding / proof-of-payment, etc.

(Though I think all of our buses should have all-door-boarding / proof-of-payment.)
I would like ION and iXpress to be separate things still. ION is for rapid transit (LRT and aBRT), while iXpress is for frequent limited stop bus routes.
I asked about the busses/branding and was told it is still being finalized.

ION Construction in Waterloo Park - February 7, 2015

[Image: IMG_20150207_1535022_zpspcemjbwr.jpg]
Is the unusual structure in the front parking lot at Fairview related to LRT or is that a separate project?
(02-07-2015, 11:26 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Is the unusual structure in the front parking lot at Fairview related to LRT or is that a separate project?

If it's the work between the Bay and Sears, it's part of the Hydro corridor work required before the LRT can be constructed in the area.
That tunnel looks narrow, but it's wide enough for two sets of track?
Keep in mind that the width necessary for LRT is quite a bit less than for regular rail.
(02-08-2015, 12:11 PM)jamincan Wrote: Keep in mind that the width necessary for LRT is quite a bit less than for regular rail.

The neighbouring tunnel, with a single standard rail track, does look quite a bit narrower.

Man, can we have a few more of these things under the highway? That looks like a great cycle crossing.

Slightly off topic but this comes to mind whenever it comes to getting across our almost-city-encircling highway: https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2012/...ajor-road/
The tunnel is large enough for 2 tracks - this is by design, of course. Light Rail has a narrower loading gauge than heavy rail. Not as small as VAL or ICTS, though...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »