Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
(10-05-2017, 11:25 PM)KevinL Wrote: KW United is a PDL team - part of a development league. It's hard to get attached because all the best players sign contracts to move up into a real league at the end of each season.

If we get a CPL side, that means top-tier play with players you can get to know and support year after year. It's a very different kind of experience.

(I should point out that this whole discussion is grossly off-topic, and should probably be moved to the sports thread. Mods?)

I don't think most people would really say top tier, maybe for Canada. Either way there is a team that plays here and most people don't care for soccer unfortunately

(10-08-2017, 08:56 AM)darts Wrote: Either way there is a team that plays here and most people don't care for soccer unfortunately

While it's not as big as in other countries, FC Toronto (in a city 10x our size) draws nearly 30K people to their games. And lots of people locally watch Premier League or other football leagues on TV.  With a decent team, I expect that we could also have decent attendance locally.
(10-08-2017, 01:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 08:56 AM)darts Wrote: Either way there is a team that plays here and most people don't care for soccer unfortunately

While it's not as big as in other countries, FC Toronto (in a city 10x our size) draws nearly 30K people to their games. And lots of people locally watch Premier League or other football leagues on TV.  With a decent team, I expect that we could also have decent attendance locally.

They care for Premier league and top tier teams, they certainly interested in KW united  and likely not for this new league
Same is true for any sport; national and international levels are always most popular. But the Rangers are successful here; there is no reason why a CPL-level team could not draw a decent crowd (not 10,000, but 1000+).
(10-07-2017, 08:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 07:38 PM)Spokes Wrote: The best choice?  Anyone else.  My choice...Momentum.

But Momentum chose not to buy the property. If Auburn had not purchased it, we have no idea how long it would have sat unsold -- and undeveloped.

(10-07-2017, 07:38 PM)Spokes Wrote: How long did it take for Barrelyards to start?

1998: Canbar asks for rezoning
2003: Land passes an environmental audit
2005: Canbar sells land to Auburn
2007: Zoning approved by council
2008: Project approved by council
2010: Construction starts

Three years (2005-2008) is within range for a complex development like this one.  Construction start was delayed by a year, possibly because of the challenges in securing a hotel tenant.

Arrow 2 and Alexandra have been on the back burner as Auburn has been quite busy on Barrel Yards. Arrow 2 should be under way shortly, don't know about Alexandra.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  I hope I'm wrong, I fear I'm not.
I think we are putting the cart before the horse here. It is a huge project that will take time to develop. Why are people so quick to criticize without and information. I am sure they will want to do a good job. I personally think they did a good job on the Arrow Lofts. I think it is time for the people here who continually act displeased to start doing the developments themselves. Put some skin in the game and see how you do ....
Im typically one of the most positive guys on here, and I'm not saying they dont do good work, I'm saying they are slow to get started.  Can't argue that.  Even Arrow, as nice as it is, they sat on it for quite some time before starting.

this past week there has been lots of activity going on in the rear lot. I assume they are doing soil samples and the like of. Lots of cube vans in various spots around the yard today.
How much GrandLinq equipment remains? Have they completely cleared out?
they are out of there. They had a section of the parking lot. The activity was in the main yard of the plant
Schneiders plant to be demolished within months

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/810...in-months/

Quote:Auburn is still working through its plans, said Scheels, but the site will be mixed-use, with highrise buildings of up to 16 or 20 storeys near the railway tracks, mid-rise residential of up to eight storeys, as well as stacked townhouses.

The developer hopes to repurpose buildings at the Borden end of the site, including the six-storey former Schneiders offices, an older red-brick garage and a large concrete warehouse, into tech or office space.

A park would run across the site from the railway to Kent Avenue, and new streets will break up the site into smaller parcels, some of which may end up being developed by other builders, Scheels said.
Will any of the older parts of the plant be preserved?  The article only refers to the relatively new office building and warehouses.  Surely something of heritage value will be saved?
It doesn't sound like it.

"the powerhouse and smokestack, the plant's conveyor system and the massive red-brick processing plant that dominates Courtland will be torn down."

What a shame.
How realistically could that have been converted to usable space, is what I wonder. And what sort of aesthetic would there be if so.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »