Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
345 King St W | 6 fl | Complete
(10-01-2017, 10:36 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 11:40 PM)tomh009 Wrote: We have so many high-quality coffee shops in DTK now (Matter of Taste, Smile Tiger x2, Settlement, Pyrus) plus a slew of more mainstream ones (Williams, Coffee Culture, Hacienda, Coffee Time, Kava, Darlisle, Europe, Commons, Elevenses, Fresh Ground, Yeti etc) that I'm not sure the opportunity for Starbucks is all that fantastic any more.  If they had opened up five years ago it would have been a different situation.

I don't disagree, although, a bit to my surprise, I haven't sensed that Downtown is at "peak coffee" yet (I wonder how Smile Tiger is doing at 8 Queen?  and Settlement at King/Victoria?).  Things still don't seem propitious for a return of retail (at least not of the high rent variety), which pretty much leaves restaurants and cafes as the most likely options in this location.  I don't think that's ideal, but I'm trying to be realistic.  Maybe they'll surprise me (one lives in hope!).

Indeed no one seems to have gone out of business yet.  Settlement is quite busy in the afternoons -- there is not only 1 Victoria but also the Tannery and the school of pharmacy (ah yes, should add Balzac and the pharmacy's cafe to that list!).

I think retail will return gradually, need to build some momentum/critical mass to get a significant number of stores.

(10-01-2017, 01:40 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 10:36 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't disagree, although, a bit to my surprise, I haven't sensed that Downtown is at "peak coffee" yet (I wonder how Smile Tiger is doing at 8 Queen?  and Settlement at King/Victoria?).  Things still don't seem propitious for a return of retail (at least not of the high rent variety), which pretty much leaves restaurants and cafes as the most likely options in this location.  I don't think that's ideal, but I'm trying to be realistic.  Maybe they'll surprise me (one lives in hope!).

Indeed no one seems to have gone out of business yet.  Settlement is quite busy in the afternoons -- there is not only 1 Victoria but also the Tannery and the school of pharmacy (ah yes, should add Balzac and the pharmacy's cafe to that list!).

I think retail will return gradually, need to build some momentum/critical mass to get a significant number of stores.

The cafe in the School of Pharmacy has always been a mystery to me.  Is it open to the public?
It's not really intended for the public, but it doesn't turn people away. Being UW food services they'll accept cash and Watcard, and maybe Interac. If you're paying cash/Interac there's no ID checks or anything, and like all UW buildings it's open to the public.

It's no different than going to one of the Tim Horton's on main campus. They're buried inside buildings so it's 99% students/staff, but technically anyone is welcome.
(10-01-2017, 03:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 01:40 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Indeed no one seems to have gone out of business yet.  Settlement is quite busy in the afternoons -- there is not only 1 Victoria but also the Tannery and the school of pharmacy (ah yes, should add Balzac and the pharmacy's cafe to that list!).

The cafe in the School of Pharmacy has always been a mystery to me.  Is it open to the public?

How about you go in and check it out for yourself? Yes it is open to the public. It is not operated by UW Food Services, it is operated by the Federation of Students, so they are happy to sell to anyone! They take cash, debit and credit and have a bunch of good things. It is quite popular with the construction workers in the area, actually.
Yeah, it's definitely open to the public.
The only problem is that the hours of operation are really centred around class times. No evening or weekend coverage.
(10-02-2017, 11:19 AM)Markster Wrote: Yeah, it's definitely open to the public.
The only problem is that the hours of operation are really centred around class times.  No evening or weekend coverage.

Totally agree... doesn't Balzacs also have somewhat limited hours? In fact, this is a widespread problem in the region. I still find lots of businesses/restaurants that close on sundays or mondays.
(09-29-2017, 04:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote: One of the two empty storefronts on the Water St side of the Eaton Lofts is the former Bolero Pizza & Pasta.

Ahh true, I forgot about the Water st frontage.

Man I remember when Golden Triangle Internet used to be there.  And a tanning place.  Seems like forever ago.  (~15 years ago)

Staff to recommend for approval of zoning change application with no changes.

The report has some additional renderings that I don't think have been posted before, but unfortunately they are photocopies in black and white.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Looks like this one will be moving ahead briskly. The idea of a future pedestrian laneway on the west side of the building is an interesting one.
Kitchener's planning committee approved some special regulations on Monday allowing the project to move closer to reality. The article mentions that this is the first purpose built office building that has been built in Downtown in decades. To me I consider the Innovation district to be a key part of Downtown which includes the new Google office building but regardless this development is another great sign of the momentum that Downtown has built.
https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...-downtown/
The key part is "purpose built" as opposed to conversions to office space from other uses. It definitely is a good sign.
Golden Turtle has a close date posted. February 25, with no new location in town announced, though they have a second location in Mississauga apparently.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-06-2018, 02:17 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: Golden Turtle has a close date posted. February 25, with no new location in town announced, though they have a second location in Mississauga apparently.

The latin food store at the back is also closing on that same day, they are moving to Victoria and Lancaster. The pupusas are great! too bad they are leaving downtown though.

(02-06-2018, 06:04 PM)urbd Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 02:17 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: Golden Turtle has a close date posted. February 25, with no new location in town announced, though they have a second location in Mississauga apparently.

The latin food store at the back is also closing on that same day, they are moving to Victoria and Lancaster. The pupusas are great! too bad they are leaving downtown though.

Victoria and Lancaster is not THAT far -- I would walk there!

There is still the other latino grocer on Ontario St. And at least three restaurants downtown selling pupusas!
(02-06-2018, 06:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 06:04 PM)urbd Wrote: The latin food store at the back is also closing on that same day, they are moving to Victoria and Lancaster. The pupusas are great! too bad they are leaving downtown though.

Victoria and Lancaster is not THAT far -- I would walk there!

There is still the other latino grocer on Ontario St. And at least three restaurants downtown selling pupusas!

America Latina Variety & Deli is actually moving to Victoria & Frederick, not walking distance from downtown unfortunately.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »