Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Someone on the Facebook group snapped it on Caroline at the Willis Way station.

(02-07-2018, 12:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: Someone on the Facebook group snapped it on Caroline at the Willis Way station.

Haha, that’s awesome, he strung the wire in that section (among others) Smile It must be so exciting for them to see their work come alive!
(02-07-2018, 11:56 AM)KevinT Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 09:39 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Millhaven didn’t have a rail siding? Did they truck the vehicles a short distance and then transfer them to the flat car outside of the facility? This seems surprising!

That's exactly what they did, the vehicles were transferred from a truck onto the flatcar parked on a siding about 300 metres east of the plant on the corner of Taylor Kidd Blvd. and Jim Snow Rd.  Here's the pic I got of 504 on her loading day, unfortunately I didn't get there in time to observe the operation:

[Image: 23899348197_bccb23f3c9_b.jpg]

If you look on Google Maps' satellite view, you can see the empty bed for the track to Bombardier (above Direct Coil Inc.) that's being re-layed:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.2138012,-...!1e3?hl=en

Thanks! Interesting that it looks as if most of the former siding is still there and connected to test track for something that needs to be able to take tight corners - ICTS? Also a space where it appears another loop of track was removed near Direct Coil. I wonder when their rail connection was removed, and why? It seems weird to ship rail cars other than by rail, given that the site is right next to a siding and most customers will have rail service (I mean, they don’t build rail-based transit in tiny towns who lost their rail service decades ago). Maybe because it was mostly a testing and research facility rather than manufacturing?

I wonder why they're doing the clearance test under it's own power now, while before they were doing a pull-through test without power.
Question re: today’s testing: are they skipping the towing step? I saw the clearance checking attachments, but I haven’t seen any images showing the trackmobile, and the footage taken from KCI that I saw seemed to show the vehicle driving itself.
(02-07-2018, 02:51 PM)jamincan Wrote: I wonder why they're doing the clearance test under it's own power now, while before they were doing a pull-through test without power.

They have been testing the power system the past few weeks.
CTV posted a video of the LRV crossing into Kitchener.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1321085
Today I caught up to it on King at Agnes, where it stopped before reversing back up the southbound track to head home.  Here it is departing Agnes northbound:

I caught up to it again at Allen, as it reversed through the counter-flow section (so, not counter flowing this time).  I loved getting to walk right alongside it!

I overheard the radio chatter as it came down Caroline St.  Once the gates dropped, they cleared it to proceed across the intersection, through the crossover to the northbound track, and directly to the OMSF at 15 km/h, i.e. no further stops!

It may only have been 15 km/h, but without stopping it was hard to catch!  I missed it at Seagram, University, and Columbia, finally catching it again at Quiet Place.  No issues with the signals this time, they all worked perfectly!

When this thing runs at its rated it speed, it truly will be rapid transit!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »