Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
No, Edna is not being extended. Weston's remains in the way.

The Edna ramp will intersect with Wellington, though.
(02-08-2018, 08:40 PM)embe Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 11:31 AM)KevinT Wrote: I suspect those ramps will be in a new location/configuration when they reopen under the new bridge.

I hope I'm wrong but my understanding is the current/closed ramps on Bruce and Edna aren't part of the overall final plans, meaning they'll eventually be closed for good anyway. 

Which is why I was really hoping the new NB 85 ramp, extending from Bruce st. to Wellington, would already be in place to provide an alternate route before the Victoria street bridge closure.  That plus the fact the existing NB 85 Bruce street ramp will have been closed for the majority (say 75%? ) of 24 month period come November. 

Good news is the light timing has been changed on Frederick to move the extra volume of traffic.  Bad news if you're a tractor-trailer trying to make a turn at one of the intersections onto Frederick.  Two lanes to turn from and two lanes to turn into is just not happening (to be honest, I think the half dozen truck drivers I saw attempting this today will re-think their detour routes).

The existing on/off ramps at Edna are to be configured into a road that will pass under the new extended Victoria St. bridge and the existing railway and continue to a new four-way intersection at Wellington St. where the existing southbound 85 off-ramp meets Wellington St.

The Bruce St. extension could not be built yet as the entire existing Victoria St. / Bruce St. intersection is going to be raised aprox 1/2  metre.  The reason for this as I understand it, is that the new 130 metre long Victoria St. bridge (14 lanes of traffic below ) has only four spans and a deeper cross-section and the bridge deck will sit slightly higher than the existing bridge.

The new (temporary) Bruce St. on-ramp is to be slightly reconfigured as the current on-ramp lies exactly where a set of columns for the new bridge are to be located.  This new ramp will  be located slightly to the east of where it enters the expressway now.  The new two-lane ramp from the northbound expressway to the new hwy 7 eastbound will be located where this temporary ramp will be located.  The fact that they're constructing this temporary on-ramp suggests to me that the Bruce St. extension won't be built anytime soon, unfortunately

Speaking of detours, the existing Frederick St. bridge is going to be removed and a new slightly longer one re-built sometime after the completion of the new Victoria St. bridge.
Can we just get a map posted again? Text descriptions of this interchange are impossible to comprehend
(02-09-2018, 08:11 AM)Canard Wrote: Can we just get a map posted again? Text descriptions of this interchange are impossible to comprehend

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...75#pid8675

Indeed, it shows Edna not being extended. Now that I think of it, of course it’s not being extended.

However, it appears that the intersection where the ramps join Edna will now connect to a road that will run under Victoria St. and up to Wellington. Problem with my idea: the new road runs under Victoria St. and therefore cannot be constructed until the new longer Victoria St. bridge is in place. It’s not obvious why the Bruce St. extension can’t be built (raising the intersection could be done over a relatively brief closure) but my short detour idea does not work.

I’ll be interested to see how they punch the new roads under the railway. Presumably there will not be a lengthy closure of the railway.

With the Bruce St. extension going under the tracks, I wonder if they might not have been able to extend River under the tracks too. And then have it continue under the new Hwy 7 and become Riverbend. It would make the interchange a little simpler and significantly improve movement between Wellington/Shirley and south of the tracks. Unfortunately, I suspect the highway dropping down to interface with the Pkwy prevents running River under the highway itself (hence the underpass being further west).

I was quite surprised to return home after a week away last night and see the Victoria Bridge still standing!

While listening to 570 news on the way home from work today I learned the MTO delayed the demolition until this weekend.

If I was more of a night owl, I'd really like to go and take photos of it coming down...
(02-14-2018, 08:21 PM)Canard Wrote: I was quite surprised to return home after a week away last night and see the Victoria Bridge still standing!

While listening to 570 news on the way home from work today I learned the MTO delayed the demolition until this weekend.

If I was more of a night owl, I'd really like to go and take photos of it coming down...

What night?? What time? I might be game....
Gah, this makes it look way more complicated than a Bruce (or River extension via Wellington) to get to NB 85.  I get the nuances but current plan/situation will hopefully improve
(02-14-2018, 08:56 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 08:21 PM)Canard Wrote: I was quite surprised to return home after a week away last night and see the Victoria Bridge still standing!

What night?? What time?  I might be game....

Can't remember, it was 4am something and then a 30 hour window after that. Probably on 570's site.
Hah, that makes me feel better. I did the loop around the Victoria bridge last Sunday and was pretty sure there was still a bridge there but figured I was just confused and didn't see it properly because I was "distracted" by actually driving.
The Victoria Street bridge WILL come down THIS weekend, they really promise this time: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.4548717

Peekchures:

1/2 - Saturday, February 24, 2018

2/2 - Saturday, February 24, 2018

Unt das video:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »