Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Tongue 
(02-16-2018, 02:40 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 02:01 PM)Canard Wrote: You’re not supposed to cross at that end. Only at King. It’s not a crossing.

Then why is there a tactile plate? A grade down to it from the platform? Platform signs indicating it's a way out?

hehehe i'm chuckling a bit :p

remember, bad design can be dangerous, even fatal... however, you can cross wherever you want as long as you are sure that you are safe, but some people will always stick to the rules and will never jaywalk for example, even if it's perfectly safe to do so.

(02-16-2018, 12:36 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote:
Quote:Galloway said the region still plans to launch regular LRT service this spring, noting that spring isn’t over until June 21. 

I could go for July 6 — the 25th anniversary of the last Preston & Berlin street run, on Caroline.
Does anyone know which track the train will be going on through downtown? I'm off early this afternoon, and I'm wondering where to camp out.
(02-16-2018, 03:05 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Does anyone know which track the train will be going on through downtown?  I'm off early this afternoon, and I'm wondering where to camp out.

I was walking along Francis between King and Duke around 12:30, and there was a small (car-sized), construction yellow rail vehicle with two people in seats, being followed by a skid steer or other sort of tiny bulldozer with another couple of workers that was clearing snow very meticulously. My assumption from seeing this is that it will be going on the Duke St. tracks, so perhaps today will be the first full loop of the line?
(02-16-2018, 02:51 PM)urbd Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 02:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: Then why is there a tactile plate? A grade down to it from the platform? Platform signs indicating it's a way out?

hehehe i'm chuckling a bit :p

remember, bad design can be dangerous, even fatal... however, you can cross wherever you want as long as you are sure that you are safe, but some people will always stick to the rules and will never jaywalk for example, even if it's perfectly safe to do so.

It just occurred to me that, since mid-block crossings are legal (right? somebody please correct me if I’m confused), the location is a legal crossing location (probably). It’s just a weird combination of built to indicate an intended crossing (on one side) and not built to indicate such (the other side, and the curb in the middle).
(02-16-2018, 03:17 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 02:51 PM)urbd Wrote: hehehe i'm chuckling a bit :p

It just occurred to me that, since mid-block crossings are legal (right? somebody please correct me if I’m confused), the location is a legal crossing location (probably). It’s just a weird combination of built to indicate an intended crossing (on one side) and not built to indicate such (the other side, and the curb in the middle).

Legal, yes, accessible no, confusing, absolutely.
We’ve been through this already. Borden and Kitchener Market also have “extra” tactile plates at the “wrong” ends.

(02-16-2018, 04:22 PM)Canard Wrote: We’ve been through this already. Borden and Kitchener Market also have “extra” tactile plates at the “wrong” ends.

I’m not sure what you’re saying. I think what people are pointing out is that the intent is unclear. Presence of a tactile plate unambiguously marks one end of a sanctioned crossing. Absence of a curb cut on the other side, absence of zebra stripes, and presence of a curb in the middle suggests not a sanctioned crossing. General design principles dictate that almost all LRT stations, certainly including this one, should be accessible from both ends, which again suggests there should be a sanctioned crossing.

For those who don’t require accessibility accommodation, it’s not a big deal because we can just step over the curbs and make a mid-block crossing, and we can see what is going on. For others, it’s a confusing and potentially dangerous mess.
We need a GPS tracker on the trains so I can set a proximity alert on my phone. I work near enough to the Mill Street Station but I don't have a clear view of the station so I can't keep a look out for it.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Every station has at least one way in that ticks all those boxes - nothing there indicates there must always be more than one. (Particularly, neither Mill nor Northfield seem capable of more than one.)

The approaches we're talking about seem to be Grandlinq's acknowledgement that people will want to get to stations like Frederick, Kitchener Market, and Borden from the non-primary direction and give another method of access. It just seems to be built strangely given tactile strips on the station side of the crossings but nothing on the curb side.
(02-11-2018, 12:28 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 11:45 AM)Canard Wrote: From the sounds of things, the curve at Northfield and the Spur is the latest casualty for gauge rework. Unbelievable.

I drove past there around 3:30pm and there were several workers going at it with a tent and blowers, and a huge row of traffic cones restricting part of the right lane. On my way home at 10pm the equipment was all still there. Hopefully they will be done by Monday or the traffic won't be fun.

A week later and everything is still there. The heater, the tent, the mass of lane restricting traffic cones. How big a repair job is this?

Borden/Charles was about 3 weeks, and about 60° of the 90° of the outboard rail concrete was removed.
The Region road closures states that section of construction is ongoing till Monday, February 26th. @Canard, thank you for the info about the equipment blocking the northbound route from Fairway to Mill. I heard on the radio that they were going back North using the Southbound track and wondered why.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »