Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(02-27-2018, 01:53 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 12:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Thanks for the clarification everyone, and this is actually a big improvement then, because a fare product that you can start any time would be a big benefit to some.

I'm not sure what you're talking about?  I've never experienced this and I often go 30+ days without using presto.

PRESTO requires you to tap your card within 30 days after they process the reloading of funds at one of the tap terminals because of the way the PRESTO system works. PRESTO readers aren't connected to the PRESTO network all the time so they take up to 24 hours to register all the transactions that occurred within the previous 24 hour period. If you load your card online manually, you have to wait for the PRESTO readers and network to register that transaction (up to 24 hours) and then you have to tap your card on a balance checker or one of the card readers within 30 days to register those funds on your card or the transaction is refunded. If you set up an autoload or autorenew contract those will be loaded into the card the next time you tap within 30 days as well. With the autoload or autorenew contracts you never have to worry about the 24 hour wait of not having funds or passes registered on the card because the readers will see the parameters of the autoload or autorenew contract, register those transactions for the PRESTO network to perform if needed and act as if the card is already loaded.

I suppose I misunderstood your original post, in that respect, yes, you'll be issued a refund of the amount you added to your card after 30 days.  But that's a requirement based on the implementation, not a policy.  The point is, I can use the service occasionally, and still carry a balance on the card in between.

Attached Files Image(s)

We could call bus wrap ads "Cross promotion" and then its the same thing?

Clearly, Coke has a benefit from putting these on their cans. I'm not at home right now to snap a picture, but I have thousands of bottles that advertise events, companies, etc. These "commemorative bottles" are effectively putting ads on my Coke bottles. [Recent Canadian examples are Holt Renfrew & Sobey's 100th]. I know they are completely different issues, I'm just replying to the comment "Coke wouldn't do that". Effectively, they do.

Coke
Perhaps Ryanair is a better comparison:
[Image: Ryanair_B737-800_Cabin.jpg]
Continuing with the plane theme....

Coke
(02-27-2018, 05:27 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: We could call bus wrap ads "Cross promotion" and then its the same thing?

Clearly, Coke has a benefit from putting these on their cans.  I'm not at home right now to snap a picture, but I have thousands of bottles that advertise events, companies, etc.  These "commemorative bottles" are effectively putting ads on my Coke bottles.  [Recent Canadian examples are Holt Renfrew & Sobey's 100th].  I know they are completely different issues, I'm just replying to the comment "Coke wouldn't do that".  Effectively, they do.

Coke

Great examples, everyone! Many of those I had not seen.

I’m actually OK with bus advertising and I’m even OK with the “total paint” (as I believe OC Transpo called them at one point) ones, as long as almost all of the window is still fully transparent (not sort-of see through). Where I get off the bus is at the point where riders are significantly inconvenienced. Although learning that the income from the advertising is so low (way less than even $1 million) makes me wonder if it’s worth it.

That's what I do with presto. Load 40-50 at Charles street. And I only use it a few times a year so any unused funds are still there several months later when I take the next trip requiring presto.
(02-27-2018, 06:44 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’m actually OK with bus advertising and I’m even OK with the “total paint” (as I believe OC Transpo called them at one point) ones, as long as almost all of the window is still fully transparent (not sort-of see through). Where I get off the bus is at the point where riders are significantly inconvenienced. Although learning that the income from the advertising is so low (way less than even $1 million) makes me wonder if it’s worth it.

I agree that the bus wraps hardly seem worth it considering the negative experience it causes passengers.
If only the people responsible for the bus wraps took the bus...
That's not necessarily the problem. Full bus wraps never really bothered me as a passenger. People describing their negative experiences with it on this forum was the first time it even occurred to me it might be an issue for some.
It's only recently that I've been impacted by motion sickness in vehicles. I'm typically fine when I'm paying attention to the surroundings. Where it's worse is if (a) I'm looking at a screen or (b) I can't clearly see my surroundings. No issues in the back seat of a car when I'm looking out the windows, but in a fully wrapped bus, I find myself feeling nauseous.
That's the difference between bus wrap ads and all your examples. The bus wrap ads impede our ability to not be nauseated on a bus, and even to see where we're actually getting off. While the loss of brand respect is also frustrating, it still doesn't compare for at least some of those examples. If you drive around here, you'll see several buses, and know that they are GRT. Most people will see planes on maybe a couple days a year, and some of those paint jobs are so complete that you could easily have no idea which brand was tarnishing their plane with an ad, nor do you feel like you are being toured around your city in an ad; in flight, no one can see your plane's coverings. So the bus wrap ads are miles worse than any other example presented.

(02-28-2018, 09:43 AM)timio Wrote: It's only recently that I've been impacted by motion sickness in vehicles.  I'm typically fine when I'm paying attention to the surroundings. Where it's worse is if (a) I'm looking at a screen or (b) I can't clearly see my surroundings.  No issues in the back seat of a car when I'm looking out the windows, but in a fully wrapped bus, I find myself feeling nauseous.

Car sickness results from looking at a fixed point while a vehicle is in motion, no?  It creates a disconnect between what your eyes see (stationary) and what your brain percieves (motion).  I wouldn't have thought bus wraps would make a difference, but I've not experienced one that you cannot see through.  If the view were completely blocked, I can see why it would set some folks off.
(02-28-2018, 10:09 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 09:43 AM)timio Wrote: It's only recently that I've been impacted by motion sickness in vehicles.  I'm typically fine when I'm paying attention to the surroundings. Where it's worse is if (a) I'm looking at a screen or (b) I can't clearly see my surroundings.  No issues in the back seat of a car when I'm looking out the windows, but in a fully wrapped bus, I find myself feeling nauseous.

Car sickness results from looking at a fixed point while a vehicle is in motion, no?  It creates a disconnect between what your eyes see (stationary) and what your brain percieves (motion).  I wouldn't have thought bus wraps would make a difference, but I've not experienced one that you cannot see through.  If the view were completely blocked, I can see why it would set some folks off.

This is indeed one issue; you can't see out of the windows easily, especially the farther back from them you are, and so avoiding motion sickness is much harder, in addition to preventing you from seeing where the bus is in relation to the outside world for navigation purposes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »