Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Inclusive on Courtland | 38, 34, 30 & 29 fl | Proposed
One thing that would make this development even better would be if the podiums were all connected and the LRT stop was integrated inside the podium like a subway station.

I don't even know if that is technically possible but it would improve the experience for transit riders during inclement weather.

(10-09-2017, 11:26 PM)rangersfan Wrote: One thing that would make this development even better would be if the podiums were all connected and the LRT stop was integrated inside the podium like a subway station.

I don't even know if that is technically possible but it would improve the experience for transit riders during inclement weather.

Not really, one of the best things about LRT is that it can create great outdoor places and promote street level activity. With well designed spaces and buildings it is possible to create comfortable environments in all weather conditions. That's why it is always better to make people get out on the street instead of inside shopping malls (in terms of placemaking). Think about the storefronts at Waterloo Town Square along Willis Way, would you prefer to have all of those internally facing, just for the sake or protecting pedestrians from weather while having a blank wall facing the street? Nope, it's better for cities to have outdoor, street facing active spaces.
(10-10-2017, 11:52 AM)urbd Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 11:26 PM)rangersfan Wrote: One thing that would make this development even better would be if the podiums were all connected and the LRT stop was integrated inside the podium like a subway station.

Not really, one of the best things about LRT is that it can create great outdoor places and promote street level activity. With well designed spaces and buildings it is possible to create comfortable environments in all weather conditions. That's why it is always better to make people get out on the street instead of inside shopping malls (in terms of placemaking). Think about the storefronts at Waterloo Town Square along Willis Way, would you prefer to have all of those internally facing, just for the sake or protecting pedestrians from weather while having a blank wall facing the street? Nope, it's better for cities to have outdoor, street facing active spaces.

There is nothing magical about getting rained on that makes for a better place.

Having said that, I agree that poor design can lead to worse places than better design, but the idea that the roof should be blamed for the problems is crazy.

In this particular case, there is no reason why the stores can’t be linked by a covered arcade that reaches over to the LRT station and is attractively designed to be inviting from the street itself (which in this particular somewhat special case just means car traffic on the road and pedestrians on the other side of the road). This could be enclosed at the sides or not; and if enclosed, the enclosure could be large openable panels with careful ventilation design for hot weather.

Also the presence of some sort of covering structure does not preclude the presence of adjacent patios, either open or with awnings or both, and a fully outdoor route along the combined group of buildings.
Yeah, I'm not terribly attached to having outdoor plazas.

Though it would be a logistical nightmare to come to an agreement around enclosing the station. At best, it could get a canopy, since it needs to be open to through pedestrian traffic regardless of operating hours of the businesses in the building.
From the City of Kitchener's website is a large presentation on the project from the developer, I have only read the first few pages but they are making some design changes.

Including reducing, the overall height of some towers, decreasing the height of towers and increasing the podium height and some structure slimming.

Overall proposing :
Building 1:30 stories (from 34)
Building 2: 38 stories
Building 3: 34 stories (from 35)
Building 4: 29 stories (from 33)

https://www.google.ca/url?q=https://www....aFDIR8qhbG
Pretty hefty podia, at 8 stories. I wonder if the design changes will satisfy the neighbourhood concerns?
Podium filled with residents? Or a special example where extreme proximity to light rail needs a height reduction, a bedroom reduction, and a parking increase?

(02-28-2018, 09:51 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Podium filled with residents? Or a special example where extreme proximity to light rail needs a height reduction, a bedroom reduction, and a parking increase?

I'm assuming that the larger podia will accomodate more of the planned apartments.
They should have a single podium. It wouldn’t have to be as tall to have the same volume.
I do like the greater variation in the tower heights.
This one seems to be working away in the background:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I'll have to remember "appurtenances" for my next Scrabble game.
(11-07-2018, 12:24 AM)nms Wrote: I'll have to remember "appurtenances" for my next Scrabble game.

Are you using more than 7 squares? Or just hoping to add to "ances" to ten and "appur" to "tenances"? (Tenances is actually a word, though I am getting that red squiggly line under the word.

(11-07-2018, 07:37 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 12:24 AM)nms Wrote: I'll have to remember "appurtenances" for my next Scrabble game.

Are you using more than 7 squares? Or just hoping to add to "ances" to ten and "appur" to "tenances"?  (Tenances is actually a word, though I am getting that red squiggly line under the word.

Really?  What's the definition?
(11-07-2018, 08:39 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 07:37 AM)jeffster Wrote: Are you using more than 7 squares? Or just hoping to add to "ances" to ten and "appur" to "tenances"?  (Tenances is actually a word, though I am getting that red squiggly line under the word.

Really?  What's the definition?

Forceps, pincers, tongs.

I am just not sure if it Latin.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »