Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Just biked by Cameron Heights. As usual, my sense of geography is completely off. Yes, the problem area starts pretty much at the South end of the Kitchener Market platform.

I noticed a few stations now have plinths set up where I assume the farecard machines will be located. Seems like something you’d want to get installed if you’re targeting a spring opening.

(03-11-2018, 05:11 PM)Canard Wrote: I noticed a few stations now have plinths set up where I assume the farecard machines will be located.  Seems like something you’d want to get installed if you’re targeting a spring opening.

I get the sense the required wiring is all in place in those bases and the actual units just need to go on top. It's only pragmatic to hold off putting in the equipment until just before it's needed, to avoid vandalism at least.
For sure. But... testing. Etc. Sigh
(03-11-2018, 02:36 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 01:55 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Zappers? Was that the arcade? I think that may have been after my time at CHCI. Smile

Oh man! You're OLD!  I suppose you went there when the before the Market got the new fronting....
I can't remember the name of the other arcade though, there used to be two along that stretch. Other places to shop, Encore records (when it was on King), Natural Sound Shop (in the old, old Eaton's where the condo's are, and the attempt make something better on the ground floor)...there were some pretty good shops at Market Square too, though I cannot remember a heck of at King Centre, I think we were too busy going into the maze at King Centre and having security chase us every day.

Apparently older than you. Wink It was before King Centre. Eaton's was still at Market Square, I remember going to their electronics department to see the new Commodore PET, so that can tell you when it was! 

Natural Sound Shop was around in the late 70s already, IIRC, as was Wesseling Advanced Audio (where the organic store is now on Charles at Queen).
(03-11-2018, 03:54 PM)Square Wrote: Off topic for this thread, here is a list of all Kitchener old arcades : https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...the_1980s/

Ahh brings me so many memories!!!

Must have been Wizards as the other one. And I remember the pool tables by Ziggy's.

I guess these things are long gone and never coming back. Which kinda sucks.

Yet, with the LTR and development of DTK you gotta wonder if what might all come out of it. I don't expect Zappers or anything like that, but you do have a lot more hope for the core than you did 20 years ago.
There is a place @King and University (which isn't too far from LRT).
Exciting news in the next week or two!

(03-11-2018, 11:30 PM)Canard Wrote: Exciting news in the next week or two!

Art installations date finally revealed?  *They finally figured a way to get the ION sign to flash when train nears station?*  -  *=my dream, lol
Ion will be maglev? Canard is conductor of 501 for life? They've decided to rip out the entire system and replace it with swan boats?
(03-12-2018, 02:59 AM)Square Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 11:30 PM)Canard Wrote: Exciting news in the next week or two!

Art installations date finally revealed?  *They finally figured a way to get the ION sign to flash when train nears station?*  -  *=my dream, lol

Nope. Date of ION service start will be announced.
(03-12-2018, 09:19 AM)urbd Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 02:59 AM)Square Wrote: Art installations date finally revealed?  *They finally figured a way to get the ION sign to flash when train nears station?*  -  *=my dream, lol

Nope. Date of ION service start will be announced.

Damn.  Was hoping for swan boats...

Coke
(03-12-2018, 09:50 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Damn.  Was hoping for swan boats...

Coke

Is Coke actually Steve Munro? It's an honour to have you here, if so.
Didn't catch the reference, and I had to Google Steve.

Sadly, we are not one and the same.

Coke

You referred to transit swan boats and don't know Steve Munro? I guess it's a broader joke than I realized.
(03-12-2018, 05:36 AM)timio Wrote: Ion will be maglev?  Canard is conductor of 501 for life?  They've decided to rip out the entire system and replace it with swan boats?

I’d go for all of those, if only to see how they manage to make maglev swan boats!

It would be less of a boondoggle than some of what is happening in Toronto.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »