Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Mall Retail (Cambridge Centre, Conestoga, Fairview)
(03-01-2018, 03:50 PM)plam Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 11:42 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Dating myself badly here, but once upon a time, many of the shops Downtown did have retractable canopies over the storefront.  I miss them whenever I find myself on the sunny ("north") side of King St on a hot summer day - it's brutal!

I wonder what happened with canopies in North America. Montreal used to have a lot more too. You still see them in other parts of the world, and shopkeepers go and adjust them at appropriate times.

I don't know that it's connected, but istm that canopies came down about the same time Kitchener banned commercial signs Downtown that stuck out from storefronts.

Did they? Because Show & Tell on Ontario has a stick-out sign, and I know some people have gone in and said they only knew to come in because they could see the sign from King. Apollo's would also count, but it's on the far side of Duke along Ontario.

It would be a bit weird to have tried a lot to make King more pedestrian, but then to outlaw pedestrian-oriented signage.
(03-02-2018, 09:35 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Did they? Because Show & Tell on Ontario has a stick-out sign, and I know some people have gone in and said they only knew to come in because they could see the sign from King. Apollo's would also count, but it's on the far side of Duke along Ontario.

It would be a bit weird to have tried a lot to make King more pedestrian, but then to outlaw pedestrian-oriented signage.

Others may know more, but istm that the City mandated "flat" signs only back in the '70s or '80s and then relaxed the rules in the last decade or so.  A case of "seemed like a good idea at the time", if memory serves.
(03-02-2018, 01:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 09:35 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Did they? Because Show & Tell on Ontario has a stick-out sign, and I know some people have gone in and said they only knew to come in because they could see the sign from King. Apollo's would also count, but it's on the far side of Duke along Ontario.

Others may know more, but istm that the City mandated "flat" signs only back in the '70s or '80s and then relaxed the rules in the last decade or so.  A case of "seemed like a good idea at the time", if memory serves.

That explains it. ... The stick-outs would look kinda nice...
Sign in front of the closed sportschek store in Conestoga Mall says new one opens on the 15th.
Apparently one of the Conestoga newcomers will be an Indigo. This likely means the end of the King/Weber Chapters.
List of ones opening tomorrow are here

https://www.conestogamall.com/promotions...ew_Stores/

Share Event

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google
Share by email

In the North Wing
As part of the evolution of Conestoga Mall, we are excited to announce the following retailers are opening Thursday, March 15:

Big Orange
Cellicon
Chatters Salon
Fonelab
Jeans Atelier
Miniso
QE Home
Resveralife
Sport Chek
Suzy Shier
Volum Studio
West 49

More stores will be opening in the coming months!

Isn't there already an Indigo at Conestoga?
(03-14-2018, 11:35 AM)jwilliamson Wrote: Isn't there already an Indigo at Conestoga?

No. There is a Cole's though, which is owned by Indigo.
(03-14-2018, 09:46 AM)KevinL Wrote: Apparently one of the Conestoga newcomers will be an Indigo. This likely means the end of the King/Weber Chapters.

That would be too bad. I don't go that often, but I like that location and it's Starbucks. I'll often do some Christmas shopping split between Mastermind and Chapters.
They appeared to be removing the south wall of the old sportchek location today at Conestoga Mall when I drove past. Lots going on if you look at the mall from Davenport Road
There's enough parking there that you could probably sneak in a development, should that site be given up...
Does anyone have any information on what Cadillac Fairview Corp has in-store for Fairview Park mall? I don't like the idea of a store being vacant for a long time. And are they still pursuing the other plans regarding moving Wal*Mart, IIRC, adding a parking garage plus additional space for more stores (since Wal*Mart is being moved).

For the WIN, that Sears might be a good place for an Ikea. I'm sure most here know what Ikea is...I suppose Canadian Tire could move in there instead, as the one they're in is so small.

Alternatively, they could add parking garage, add some residential and hotel towers. We need hotels in this area.

(04-25-2018, 08:37 AM)jeffster Wrote: Alternatively, they could add parking garage, add some residential and hotel towers. We need hotels in this area.

Holiday Inn, Radisson and BW are all clustered near Fairview & King.

The Kitchener and Waterloo city cores have much less hotel capacity, and yet more destinations for travelers, whether work or leisure.
(04-25-2018, 08:37 AM)jeffster Wrote: Does anyone have any information on what Cadillac Fairview Corp has in-store for Fairview Park mall? I don't like the idea of a store being vacant for a long time.  And are they still pursuing the other plans regarding moving Wal*Mart, IIRC, adding a parking garage plus additional space for more stores (since Wal*Mart is being moved).

For the WIN, that Sears might be a good place for an Ikea. I'm sure most here know what Ikea is...I suppose Canadian Tire could move in there instead, as the one they're in is so small.

Alternatively, they could add parking garage, add some residential and hotel towers. We need hotels in this area.

The only attractive option I can think of for the old Sears would be a Simons department store, and I think that's very unlikely.  I wonder whether the space won't have to be converted into multiple smaller shops?  A Nordstrom Rack might take up a third to half the existing main level, but I don't know that Fairview Park would be an attractive location for them.  Ikea is a non-starter, istm and Canadian Tire as an "anchor" would not be good for the mall's image.  If the mall could be redeveloped to incorporate residential or other new uses, I'd say go for it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »