Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
504 came down the NB track through the Hayward Curve for special track testing at Fairway Station today

Um, oh my god. There are like... a dozen ion related construction closures coming up. WTF!!

https://rowpages.regionofwaterloo.ca/Roa...oadClosure
(03-15-2018, 03:27 PM)Canard Wrote: Um, oh my god. There are like... a dozen ion related construction closures coming up. WTF!!

Probably a bunch of things that were left pending for the winter and were scheduled to be done anyway?
I hope it’s a case of like, if they have to commission a lubricator, that counts as a closure or notification... I’m just scrolling through this thinking jackhammers and concrete rubble everywhere on the entire line, watching our opening day drift further and further away...
(03-15-2018, 03:46 PM)Canard Wrote: I hope it’s a case of like, if they have to commission a lubricator, that counts as a closure or notification... I’m just scrolling through this thinking jackhammers and concrete rubble everywhere on the entire line, watching our opening day drift further and further away...

Sad Sad Sad

I wish they would be more communicative. We would either know to prepare for a bunch more work, or we would know that they’re just finishing up little details.
(03-15-2018, 03:27 PM)Canard Wrote: Um, oh my god. There are like... a dozen ion related construction closures coming up. WTF!!

I really don't think this is a big deal. Heck, not even a deal. Everything appears to be done by March 30. Give an extra 2 weeks to factor in unforeseen events, 1 week for unforeseen unforeseen events, plus 3 days for unforeseen, unforeseen and unforeseen events. Plus an extra week to complete things and 3 days for clean-up. So everything should be done by the first week of May, long before the Ion is ready to role.
Yeah, I hope you’re right! Sorry for being so doom-and-gloom.

They had the partial closures listed for the whole month of February. I think these closures are for testing.
They did a bunch of these little saw and patch jobs along Caroline today:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
What in the... okay, that's the same crew I saw setting up camp at Charles & Benton on Wednesday. I wonder what that's all about...
Should it be concerning that GrandLinq still doesn't have a certificate of fitness from the Canadian Transportation Agency or a railway operating certificate from Transport Canada?

Ottawa has had their certificate of fitness since 2006/2007 and their operating certificate since 2016.

Apparently Transport Canada can take up to 120 days to issue the operating certificate.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Those websites date their last revisions to May and July 2017 - perhaps it has been issued but it's not yet listed?
Do they need one? The Ottawa ones from 2006/2007 are for the old north/south LRT project that got cancelled, and the one from 2016 is for the Trillium line that runs heavy rail equipment, not the new line. I don't see any certificates there for any other urban mass transit systems, or for the new Ottawa line.

(03-15-2018, 10:27 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Should it be concerning that GrandLinq still doesn't have a certificate of fitness from the Canadian Transportation Agency or a railway operating certificate from Transport Canada?

They might also have applied already. We don't quite know. Transport Canada in their FAQ says that LRT needs a railway operating certificate but not a certificate of fitness.
(03-15-2018, 05:29 PM)jeffster Wrote:

I really don't think this is a big deal. Heck, not even a deal. Everything appears to be done by March 30. Give an extra 2 weeks to factor in unforeseen events, 1 week for unforeseen unforeseen events, plus 3 days for unforeseen, unforeseen and unforeseen events. Plus an extra week to complete things and 3 days for clean-up. So everything should be done by the first week of May, long before the Ion is ready to role.

Much better to get all these blips fixed now... well before service starts. You don't want to have to close down part or all of the line soon after you are operational. This is what testing is all about. 

At our end > there should not be an expectation that everything done would be user perfect. Big factories can tool their new production lines behind closed doors and no one cares except management. 

I am hopeful that those closely observing (me, you and others here and on FB) can have a greater degree of patience as we have as we endured because of Bombardier. 

Close only counts in horseshoes. Let's do it right... Waterloo Region and iON working hard to make our system great.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »