Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Meanwhile in Kingston, they've already finished the first 7-unit vehicle for Edmonton. https://twitter.com/yegvalleyLRT/status/...4563815424

(03-26-2018, 04:36 PM)Canard Wrote: P - I’m not sure what you mean. If you’re implying that we should take either of the ML pilots... no, we don’t want them, either.

Which is a bit on an funny statement based on your initial assurances of the quality of the pilot vehicles.

What I meant was, now that the production is flowing much smoother why doesn't Bombardier insert a 5 segment vehicle in the production queue, in the middle of Edmonton's order, and crank it out in 2-3 weeks, instead of taking 6 months to fix the broken one.

MetroLinx still has time to wait to have the re-finished '501' we don't have time.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I doubt the timeline is anywhere near 6 months. And it's not 'broken', it just needs some assemblies to be fully finished and certain layouts and arrangements to be re-worked to match the other finished units.
(03-26-2018, 09:39 PM)Canard Wrote: Because we didn't pay for 15 trains.  We paid for 14.

We wouldn't get 15. MetroLinx Crosstown would get the re-built 501, we would get our other 13 (502-514) plus the 'new' 501.
(03-26-2018, 10:54 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: I was by there yesterday and have a question; do the heaters/generators for the tents have any emission controls? Or are they unregulated? Watching these things belch out smoke all weekend long was unappealing to say the least.

Most of the small engines on construction sites are big polluters. Every diesel welder I've ever started burps out a huge black cloud and then chugs away for a while before it stops spitting out the black clouds. I imagine it's a big remaining source of air pollution that is largely unregulated. There's forklifts, skyjacks, gas powered saws, etc. that are all poorly tuned and have no emission controls whatsoever.
(03-26-2018, 08:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: I doubt the timeline is anywhere near 6 months. And it's not 'broken', it just needs some assemblies to be fully finished and certain layouts and arrangements to be re-worked to match the other finished units.

I guess we'll have to see if it is back before June then.
(03-26-2018, 10:33 PM)clasher Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 10:54 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: I was by there yesterday and have a question; do the heaters/generators for the tents have any emission controls? Or are they unregulated? Watching these things belch out smoke all weekend long was unappealing to say the least.

Most of the small engines on construction sites are big polluters. Every diesel welder I've ever started burps out a huge black cloud and then chugs away for a while before it stops spitting out the black clouds. I imagine it's a big remaining source of air pollution that is largely unregulated. There's forklifts, skyjacks, gas powered saws, etc. that are all poorly tuned and have no emission controls whatsoever.

Pretty much any small engine has this problem, so mowers, trimmers, snowblowers, etc., of which there are far more (although run for less time) than equipment on a construction site.

A lot of them are now four-stroke engines, which significantly reduces emissions. Smaller hand-held motors are another matter, but they're far less common.
(03-27-2018, 09:09 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 10:06 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: We wouldn't get 15. MetroLinx Crosstown would get the re-built 501, we would get our other 13 (502-514) plus the 'new' 501.

Those of us in the know, know what is needed to be done to 501 and that building a completely new one is unnecessary. We just can't say any more about it publicly.

Ah yes, can’t be too careful about leaking information to the Soviets. The national security implications of LRV data getting into the wrong hands are incalculable.
Don’t lump me in with you, Jordan.
So ... do we start taking bets on what will be the long pole in the tent, holding up the start of service? Grandlinq track repairs? Grandlinq staff hiring/training? BBD delivery of 501? Something else?
A small tent was up on Charles NB at Kent (south of Stirling) today.
@Canard and all others who are interested! Here is the link to listen to the LRT Live radio feed!! http://cykf.net/Liveatc/Transit.php

Infinite thanks, Square!!!
The last of the tents at Caroline at Allen came down this morning.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »