Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
OK, so we of course complain about this phenomenon on King Street, but I was in Toronto yesterday biking on Lake Shore Blvd W in, I guess, New Toronto, and saw this fantasticness.

[Image: 20180409_172001_closed-la.jpg]

The lanes are better than what we have, since they have actual curbs. There really is no obvious reason for the lanes to be closed.

And you really would think that it's super obvious that you can't park there. And yet!

[Image: 20180409_172113_car_in_bike_lane-la.jpg]

Wtf!

(I was trying to bring my bike back from Toronto around rush hour yesterday. Options are pretty limited. I biked to Square One and then took the GO bus.)

I bike down University Avenue most mornings, and although it doesn't have the problem of vehicles parking in the bike lane, I often have to play leapfrog with buses in the area around Laurier and UW. I have been thinking that it would be nice if there could be a separated bike lane with floating bus stops in that area.

I also really hope that the part between Weber and King gets bike lanes some time, because it's kind of awkward when the bike lane disappears right around the most dangerous section of a road.
(04-11-2018, 11:18 AM)timc Wrote: I bike down University Avenue most mornings, and although it doesn't have the problem of vehicles parking in the bike lane, I often have to play leapfrog with buses in the area around Laurier and UW. I have been thinking that it would be nice if there could be a separated bike lane with floating bus stops in that area.

I also really hope that the part between Weber and King gets bike lanes some time, because it's kind of awkward when the bike lane disappears right around the most dangerous section of a road.

Yes, this would be helpful, but frankly, bike lanes on that road are inappropriate to begin with....we need protected lanes.

As for the "leapfrog" problem, I will be curious to see what the protected bike lane pilot comes up with for that section.  I fear that it will be essentially nothing, but I can still be hopeful.
Finally, someone spotted a notice...

https://twitter.com/josephby/status/984104546682228738

Guess we sqwaked loud enough... to get a little bit of movement. Just a little.
Well, I guess we were wrong, they aren't actually doing absolutely nothing.

Honestly this pisses me off so much, I cannot comprehend why politicians are so afraid to enforce the law. What that flyer doesn't say is "you're parked in a no parking zone and should be ticketed".

Are they afraid of constituents coming to them and complaining? Please then, elect me, I've the courage to tell people: "If you park illegally, you're going to get a ticket.". Why is this so hard?
(04-11-2018, 11:18 AM)timc Wrote: I bike down University Avenue most mornings, and although it doesn't have the problem of vehicles parking in the bike lane, I often have to play leapfrog with buses in the area around Laurier and UW. I have been thinking that it would be nice if there could be a separated bike lane with floating bus stops in that area.

I've wondered about this. I think University does have a bunch of trip generators. I avoid it on my commute though. I go through Waterloo Park / Laurel Trail instead. It is certainly the case that University doesn't feel like a street one should be biking on at the moment, despite the current non-segregated bike lanes.

It might be good to have infrastructure like in Zurich at bus stops where the bike lanes go on the sidewalk at stops.

“I’ll take ‘What’s a Stop Bar’ for $100, Alex.”

It’s nice the city put up a sign to protect the busses. (Which is also being ignored)

Meanwhile, the bike lanes are full of cars again.

Note, this is on the finished section.

Rage.

We must do something. Presentation at council?

We should just weld up some bollards and anchor 'em in overnight.

edit: Waterloo is quickly turning into a "how not to build cycling infrastructure" city. They still brag about being a silver medal bike city on the website. It's hilarious and terrible all at the same time.
Park some bikes there, you'll surely get a ticket in no time.
(04-12-2018, 06:17 PM)Canard Wrote:    
Rage.

In fairness of the drivers, how can they possibly know that is a no-parking zone?  Normally signs are angled so the drivers on that side of the road can see, as well as it appears the sign in forward of the bike line, indicating No Parking on the roadway, NOT the bike lane.

Either way, poor implementation on the City's part....

Coke
(04-12-2018, 08:55 PM)clasher Wrote: We should just weld up some bollards and anchor 'em in overnight.

A line of cones might accomplish the same.

Or a nail strip. Tongue
(04-13-2018, 10:19 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 06:17 PM)Canard Wrote:
Rage.

In fairness of the drivers, how can they possibly know that is a no-parking zone?  Normally signs are angled so the drivers on that side of the road can see, as well as it appears the sign in forward of the bike line, indicating No Parking on the roadway, NOT the bike lane.

Either way, poor implementation on the City's part....

Coke

I assume you’re being satirical? As in, how can drivers possibly know it’s a no parking zone? I mean, there is a sign there with the standard no-parking symbology, but it’s not like it’s actually visible or anything. We can’t expect drivers to look for signage that’s posted way out of the way, over 1m from the location where they are intending to park!

In case not: I’m not aware that signage ever applies to the second lane out from the curb. As to the angle, I don’t think the court would be impressed by a driver kvetching about the exact angle of the sign if they tried to fight a ticket on that basis.
I think they are indicating that you can see it says no parking if you were acrross the street from the sign in the picture but if you were driving up king st it isn't visible unless they pass the sign.

(04-13-2018, 10:19 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: In fairness of the drivers, how can they possibly know that is a no-parking zone?

By using their eye balls.

Quote:Normally signs are angled so the drivers on that side of the road can see, as well as it appears the sign in forward of the bike line, indicating No Parking on the roadway, NOT the bike lane.

There are two groups of signs:

1.  Ones permanently mounted on the light standards, just as they are in every other part of the Province.
2.  Additional temporary ones mounted on weighted bases, which are routinely shifted out of the way (which I routinely shift back into the correct position).
(04-13-2018, 11:46 AM)darts Wrote: I think they are indicating that you can see it says no parking if you were acrross the street from the sign in the picture but if you were driving up king st it isn't visible unless they pass the sign.

Anyone who misinterprets, cannot see, or understand this sign should not be driving.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »