Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
(04-19-2018, 05:42 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Most cities would be bending over backwards to approve this project, I really think that there was a massive mistake in the PARTS project if this area had to be restricted to a height of 14m.

They should find a different location, perhaps the other side of the tracks, just up the street a bit on Victoria. Then create a social housing project for no to low income individuals, a forward thinking project to deal with the homelessness in Kitchener and the region. It could be an ideal spot for an SIS. Since there are professors from the universities living in that neighbourhood, I'm sure they could suggest other fantasist idea's of what other social services they could put in there, like a food bank and a soup kitchen.

Record article confirm that a decision has been deferred until June 25, this is very unfortunate. It's also unfortunate the article does not mentioned who voted in favour of this deferral.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/840...ntil-june/
(04-19-2018, 06:31 AM)jeffster Wrote: They should find a different location, perhaps the other side of the tracks, just up the street a bit on Victoria. Then create a social housing project for no to low income individuals, a forward thinking project to deal with the homelessness in Kitchener and the region. It could be an ideal spot for an SIS.  Since there are professors from the universities living in that neighbourhood, I'm sure they could suggest other fantasist idea's of what other social services they could put in there, like a food bank and a soup kitchen.

The location is just fine.  Perhaps they want the building next door to Google and the transit hub.  Also, I really don't think people in this neighbourhood would welcome a SIS.  Given a choice they'd probably go for the 12 or 14 story building.
(04-19-2018, 06:48 AM)jgsz Wrote: Also, I really don't think people in this neighbourhood would welcome a SIS.

Or even low-income housing...

Which is why they should be OK with this proposal...
Sometimes we are so backwards in this city. They (elected officials) are putting votes ahead of good decisions. I elect officials ( and yes I do vote, I have never missed a vote at any level since I turned 18) to make the difficult decisions that might be unpopular with some people. This development is going to strengthen the area and encourage further development.
(04-19-2018, 06:41 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Record article confirm that a decision has been deferred until June 25, this is very unfortunate. It's also unfortunate the article does not mentioned who voted in favour of this deferral.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/840...ntil-june/

Sad to see that my councillor (Etherington) was the only named official voting to defer the development.

The city should be embarrassed by this deferral, and Etherington will not receive my vote in the next election.
In 2010 Etherington won by one vote.

I am writing to both the mayor and my Councillor to express my concern for this about face change. It is clear to me they are just worried about the optics with an upcoming election. With all the positive things that have been going on in this city as of late, this really pulls us backwards and, likely causes concern for developers who have to work with the city.
(04-19-2018, 10:28 AM)jgsz Wrote: In 2010 Etherington won by one vote.

Well, he is -2 votes from this household so things aren't looking good for him this time around! Big Grin
So wait, I don't understand. Did council NOT approve this a few weeks ago? How is it deferred now?
The Planning and Strategic Initiatives Committee met on April 9 and recommended this to be approved. That recommendation went to council for a "rubber stamp" on April 16, but council deferred their decision.
Apparently the language is that the Committee "approved" on April 9, and Council was set to "accept the report" of the Committee on April 16. You're right that it really is a rubber stamp, so much so that the Record just said "council" approved it back on the 9th. Council wasn't quite deciding, they were just voting to accept the Committee's decision. Apparently that would have been too decisive for Council at this time, so they just deferred instead.
<rant> I know this has been said before, but having LOW DENSITY RESIDENTIAL zoning less than 500 metres from the Region's Transit Hub is like having low rise residential zoned next to Union Station in Toronto. The city and the region are actively shooting themselves in the foot if this is turned down </rant>

I really hope they can find a compromise - I'm wondering why the parking garage can't be buried or partially buried? I'm wondering why the surrounding residential land isn't zoned for medium density residential? I'm wondering if the businesses were consulted as part of PARTS? The way the current zoning works, we have essentially suburbia zoned for our most urban area, and with SIXO next door it just doesn't make sense ...  Huh

(04-19-2018, 10:30 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I am writing to both the mayor and my Councillor to express my concern for this about face change.  It is clear to me they are just worried about the optics with an upcoming election.  With all the positive things that have been going on in this city as of late, this really pulls us backwards and, likely causes concern for developers who have to work with the city.

Agreed. I hope others are motivated to write letters to media as well. This is an appropriate project so close to a major transportation hub. Downtown Kitchener has been lucky to be experiencing a development buzz as of late, don't kill it.
(04-20-2018, 09:21 AM)Watdot Wrote:
(04-19-2018, 10:30 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I am writing to both the mayor and my Councillor to express my concern for this about face change.  It is clear to me they are just worried about the optics with an upcoming election.  With all the positive things that have been going on in this city as of late, this really pulls us backwards and, likely causes concern for developers who have to work with the city.

Agreed.  I hope others are motivated to write letters to media as well.  This is an appropriate project so close to a major transportation hub.  Downtown Kitchener has been lucky to be experiencing a development buzz as of late, don't kill it.

Kennedy: Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country,”

Me: "Ask not what your city can do for you (or your neighborhood and ward) - ask what you (or your neighbourhood and ward) can do for the city." 
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »