Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
Where do they run the 6-car trains?

(05-04-2018, 08:49 PM)jamincan Wrote: Where do they run the 6-car trains?

Barrie-Stouffville line service during weekday midday is 6 cars:

[Image: 35655258431_795aa79bca_z.jpg]

Maximum train length is 12 cars.
OMG that's adorable, I had no idea. Although I don't know why I'm saying that, I've seen with my own eyes cities that run them with 2 cars.

Weekend service here plz.
I've ridden a few 8 car consists between Union and Bramalea off-peak. People tend to bring them up over at UT in the GO Service threads as they're spotted.
Does anybody know if the cars have to run in pairs? I don’t think I’ve ever heard a precise observation that claimed an odd number of cars. I know the older (pre-Rocket) Toronto subway cars were permanently joined in pairs, but I’m not aware that GO coaches are like that.
Why run shorter trains at all?

I realize that longer trains are not needed for the volumes at those times on those lines, but is there a substantial fuel savings? Otherwise, it must take some effort to break and reconnect the trains.
No, they don’t need to run in pairs.

Subways and metros will often operate in pairs (“married”) because there are some savings to be had by only having an operator cab at one end of a vehicle. If you want each vehicle to be operated on it’s own, you need a cab at both ends... which is expensive and wastes space.

The concept with Toronto’s new subway vehicles is just two cabs for 6, permanently coupled cars... at some point they realized operationally they didn’t actually need the flexibility to add or subtract vehicles in increments even of two. They never run anything other than 6 cars*, so their latest order was for trains of 6 cars permanently coupled.

* - Shepard line has its own special 4-car TR consists.

Dan - shorter trains mean less wear and tear, faster acceleration (F=ma), less vehicles to clean at the end of the day...
I believe future plans have the TTC adding an additional car to the trains on line 1. Not sure if all the platforms are long enough yet. Dependent on finalizing the ATC installation, as it will require exact positioning to fit.
The rumour I heard was that the 7th car had to be shorter to fit on the current platforms. ie, adding a 7th car of the current design would mean the train wouldn’t fit on the platform.
Regardless, that's a ways away and Toronto is ... special ... in how they choose to expand transit.

I think GO could run 6 car trains to Kitchener off peak should AD2W ever come about. Stick with 10-12 cars for peak, but the smaller trains would handle demand.
(05-05-2018, 09:38 AM)Canard Wrote: The rumour I heard was that the 7th car had to be shorter to fit on the current platforms. ie, adding a 7th car of the current design would mean the train wouldn’t fit on the platform.

Indeed, there is no plan to extend the Toronto subway platform length, and doing so is almost certainly completely infeasible.

But with precise positioning the trains could be somewhat longer. I’m not entirely clear on exactly how much longer. It seems to me that the ends of the train could be in the tunnel, as long as all the doors are on the platform, but maybe that’s going too far. I suspect there might be a small number of locations where the exact position of a signal needs to be moved a little bit.
DLR does this, actually - they don’t open the first or last sets of doors. It’s clever, but probably too clever for Toronto.

Some fascinating details on when passenger service last used the Fergus Subdivision, nearly six decades ago. https://www.paullangan.com/2018/05/passe...ns-to.html
(05-04-2018, 09:04 AM)Canard Wrote: Why are they suddenly exploring this route? And not Milton?

Those tracks are in terrible shape, we’ve walked the Mill Run Trail next to them.

It is an election year provincially and locally ... the Minister of Transport is from Cambridge and she will not be re-elected as the Liberals soon to be are an extinct beast. None of these rail events (Milton or Guelph) will happen ...better to make the folks of Cambridge think something is happening... Isn't it Preston that wants to be in the 1960's in transportation. While all these issues are election pandering by Craig et al.

Take the 20 year highway war to get a new highway to and from - Guelph & Kitchener. Still not a done deal except in press releases.

They should have made this "GO-NoGO" announcement on April FOOLS DAY!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »