Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo City Council Election Discussion
Waterloo City Council Election Discussion

Both Rami Said and Tenille Bonoguore have announced they are seeking Melissa Durrell's to-be-vacated council seat. Might be one of the more interesting seats to watch, given all that happens in UpTown, and how vociferously people feel about that.
Should be quite interesting. I've met Rami a number of times. Nice guy. No background in politics though as far as I know.
He ran for mayor in 2014, did he not?
(05-17-2018, 09:03 AM)greybird Wrote: He ran for mayor in 2014, did he not?

Yes, Rami ran for mayor and I thought he did surprisingly well in the debates. (I say surprisingly primarily because of lack of political experience and how that often manifests itself in local debates.)

Waterloo 2018 Registered Candidates

Interesting that the first declared candidate for ward 7 is Devon McKenzie, a friend and business partner of Rami's (according to the articles on previous establishments, I don't know if Devon is involved in Patent Social).

I don't know any of them, but I think I met Tenille Bonoguore once outside her house with some neighbours who I know. Seems like I have quality candidates to choose from this election.
(05-17-2018, 10:49 PM)tvot Wrote:

Yes, Rami ran for mayor and I thought he did surprisingly well in the debates. (I say surprisingly primarily because of lack of political experience and how that often manifests itself in local debates.)

Interesting that the first declared candidate for ward 7 is Devon McKenzie, a friend and business partner of Rami's (according to the articles on previous establishments, I don't know if Devon is involved in Patent Social).

I don't know any of them, but I think I met Tenille Bonoguore once outside her house with some neighbours who I know. Seems like I have quality candidates to choose from this election.

Very interesting to see Kelly Steiss running for mayor. I've worked with (or around) her from about 2012-2016. Nice family though. Hard worker. Easy to talk to as well. Plus her kids turned out great. She's a stable personality...would be interesting to see her vision for Waterloo.
(05-17-2018, 10:49 PM)tvot Wrote:

I stand corrected.  I have a vague, vague memory of this.

Tenille is a journalist (she is a parenting columnist for CBC KW) and is the founder of the Grand Porch Party. I don't think she has any direct political experience, but she's familiar with, and quite good at, community organizing.

(I'm lightly acquainted with her by way of having worked with her spouse for several years.)
More specifically, she was a columnist for CBC, and stepped down due to running, as is proper.
Yes, thank you for that clarification. My misrepresentation was unintentional and could have been very misleading.
Similar questions by CBC to the Waterloo Mayor candidates.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Uptown candidate Tenille Bonoguore opposes height on King St but still says this:

Quote:We need vibrant new developments. We need towers. We also need to remember that it is the people, not the buildings, that make a city.
https://www.tenilleb.com/news/2018/9/18/...bout-scale

I frankly think she's completely wrong about King st, but shes right about people making the city.
(05-24-2018, 08:36 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: Tenille is a journalist (she is a parenting columnist for CBC KW) and is the founder of the Grand Porch Party. I don't think she has any direct political experience, but she's familiar with, and quite good at, community organizing.

(I'm lightly acquainted with her by way of having worked with her spouse for several years.)

Hi folks. Rob's right -- I haven't been a politician before, but I have covered politics as a reporter for The Globe and Mail and for newspapers in Australia.
For Canadian politics, I've spent time on Parliament Hill, been in federal budget lock-ups, and covered policies and specific issues. Provincially, I covered election campaigns, provincial inquiries, and specific issues of policy. 
My municipal reporting experience was mostly in Australia (where I did municipal and state politics in Queensland). While it's a different country, Australia has a very similar system of governance, so many of the broader issues apply.
Here in Waterloo, I've been involved as a resident-participant in things like the City's Neighbourhood Strategy development, as co-chair of Open Streets, and generally tuning in as an interested party. I also sat on Climate Action Waterloo Region's advisory panels in an effort to help the cities, region and industries meet their sustainability goals.

You can find out more at TenilleB.com, and I'm happy to answer any questions if you want to know something specific.
Cheers!
Tenille.

Thanks for finding us Tenille. It's always great having those running for office engaging with everyone here.
Things are getting hot in Ward 7:

Read the whole thread including Anthony Reinhart's 30+ tweet string  (note that he is the husband of Tenille Bonoguore.

I haven't followed this race a lot, but are these two the front runners?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »