Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
Not as far as I know.

(01-26-2015, 12:25 PM)519 Wrote:
(01-25-2015, 11:41 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Sounds optimistic to me.

Optimistic is even considering that Phase 2 could start this year.
"Construction on Phase 2 wouldn't start before this fall at the earliest, Marchildon said, and wouldn't be hindered by any LRT construction work that might be happening along Duke. "

Have they started selling Phase 2 yet?

I think Marchildon is referring to the live-work units along Duke as Phase 2.
(01-26-2015, 12:12 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Let's be fair, I was able to move into my 2nd floor unit while I could still sneak up to the sixth floor and see nothing but concrete as the wind whistled between units and hallways.

Actually? I have always thought the concrete, curtain walls and total interior of the building would have to be sealed before anyone could move in?
(01-26-2015, 04:16 PM)realtyforward Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 12:12 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Let's be fair, I was able to move into my 2nd floor unit while I could still sneak up to the sixth floor and see nothing but concrete as the wind whistled between units and hallways.

Actually? I have always thought the concrete, curtain walls and total interior of the building would have to be sealed before anyone could move in?

As I recall, our floor was largely done (maybe some decorating in the hallway, and a few paint or small contractor finishes in the unit). Some of the upper floors, at one point, could be reached. At least the 5th floor I can remember was just concrete, probably with some wood to stop you from walking off the edges.
Wasn't the last floor in the42 all large units that were unsold? They probably felt in no rush to finish them given everything else had occupants waiting.

Back on topic, I think the main difference is the size difference here. I don't see interiors being finished on lower floors when forming is still going on above. (Yes...I don't think forming will be done in the fall)
(01-27-2015, 10:43 AM)Spokes Wrote: Wasn't the last floor in the42 all large units that were unsold?  They probably felt in no rush to finish them given everything else had occupants waiting.

Back on topic, I think the main difference is the size difference here.  I don't see interiors being finished on lower floors when forming is still going on above.  (Yes...I don't think forming will be done in the fall)

I think forming could be complete by the end of August. The floor slab of Floor 5 is currently being formed, meaning there are 13 floors left with the roof. With the podium now complete, the tower is rising much quicker due to a smaller footprint and replicated floor plan. Even with the winter weather creating "snow days" and adding labour with tarping and heating, they've been on pace to complete a floor every two weeks. Even at that pace (which should speed up once Spring arrives), forming should be complete by the end of August.

In any event, I do agree that early Fall occupancies is a very ambitious target, but I don't think it is unattainable.
[Image: 16028253473_f6d0960c19_b.jpg]Black and White by Matt M S, on Flickr

City Centre seems to be holding its own against One Victoria in terms of the pace of construction, especially given its larger footprint.
Agreed, although i would say City Centre now has a smaller footprint for its tower portion. I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that it barely blocks the view of City Hall at all from the side.
(02-26-2015, 02:20 AM)Lens Wrote: Agreed, although i would say City Centre now has a smaller for print for its tower portion. I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that it barely blocks the view of City Hall at all from the side.

Yes, I like that it is set back from that angle and it will be less bulky than I had imagined.  I don't really have a good sense of what the ground level of phase one is going to look like when complete - will it include the whole of the public plaza that will be behind the eventual second phase?
Actually what I said was that the launch of Phase 2 would not start before the Fall....
(02-26-2015, 06:43 PM)Anne Marchildon Wrote: Actually what I said was that the launch of Phase 2 would not start before the Fall....

Phase 2 as in the second tower?
(02-26-2015, 06:43 PM)Anne Marchildon Wrote: Actually what I said was that the launch of Phase 2 would not start before the Fall....

Thanks for clarification.

And welcome to WRC!

It's Andrin, so I don't have any confidence at all in any date they give. I was a year and a half late moving into the Kaufman Lofts when I lived there. Every time my move-in date approached, exactly 60 days before I'd get the notice that it was pushed out another several months. It was amazing how they would always leave it until the absolute last moment to send out those notices.
[Image: 16737850221_1f52e09f10_b.jpg]

City Center Rising by Matt M S, on Flickr
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »