Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Can we please break off all these posts about pronunciation as a separate thread? Thank you.

(05-31-2018, 10:55 AM)timc Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 10:12 AM)jamincan Wrote: Wellz-ley

Is is Vie-mar Line, or Weemer Line?

Definitely Wellz-ley. I have heard "Well-es-ley", but I think it was ironical.

As for the latter, I say "Wye-mar".

Wellz-ley and Wye-mar, definitely.  Weemar would just be so wrong, for the same reason that Wiebe is Wee-bee and not Why-bee.  I don't think the "v" sound has survived in any of the local German names beginning with "W".
(05-31-2018, 11:17 AM)Canard Wrote: Can we please break off all these posts about pronunciation as a separate thread? Thank you.

Oh c'mon  they are just having fun...  I am getting a laugh at it because I can hear each one in my head...
(05-31-2018, 12:02 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 11:17 AM)Canard Wrote: Can we please break off all these posts about pronunciation as a separate thread? Thank you.

Oh c'mon  they are just having fun...  I am getting a laugh at it because I can hear each one in my head...

Time to get back on topic: Is it EE-on, or EYE-on? What about eye-ON?
(05-31-2018, 12:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 12:02 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Oh c'mon  they are just having fun...  I am getting a laugh at it because I can hear each one in my head...

Time to get back on topic: Is it EE-on, or EYE-on? What about eye-ON?

As much as "eye-ON" would appeal to me, I think the real question is whether it will be "EYE-on" or "EYE-un".

I am reminded that this is a town that calls one of its swimming pools the "Mune-uh-CI-pal". Smile
(05-31-2018, 09:34 AM)Bytor Wrote: What is the equipment that is not yet installed on the LRVs?

Great question! To further quote the report:

Quote:Prior to going into service it is also necessary to install certain specialized equipment. As part of the Project, GrandLinq is responsible for ensuring the finished vehicle integrates seamlessly with the built system. On-board equipment includes radios, antennas and on-board systems to control gates, crossings, and traffic signals. This also allows the vehicles to communicate with ION Control Centre. With this equipment, ION can run at service speeds and at consistent times throughout operations.

Aside: I'd be happy if all the phase 3 speculation (including how to pronounce wool-itch [pun, I actually pronounce the second w]) was broken out of this thread.
505 is out doing an end-to-end test today with destination signs set. Jason Li caught it north of Victoria showing "ION to Fairway" https://www.facebook.com/groups/81680629...040469051/

1. Bzzt! Wrong!  Wellesley → "Weh-less-lee".

2. Neither. Weimar → "Vai-mahr".

;-)
(05-31-2018, 01:14 PM)Bytor Wrote:

1. Bzzt! Wrong!  Wellesley → "Weh-less-lee".

2. Neither. Weimar → "Vai-mahr".

;-)

That's German, not Waterloo County Speak.
(05-31-2018, 03:10 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/864...-positons/
Quote:Resumes pour in for LRT driver positons

WATERLOO REGION — More than 3,000 people have applied to become an LRT driver in Waterloo Region.
The online posting, seeking 39 drivers who will earn $62,000-$65,000 a year, only went up two weeks ago.
There were so many applications, the job posting is closing sooner than originally planned.

"Due to an overhwhelming response, Keolis Grand River will be closing the request for LRT Operator applications as of Monday June 4th at 4 p.m." read an email from spokesperson Lauren Reaman.

Serious question: Is $62,000 - $65,000 a good pay for this?

1) You're dealing with members of the public.
2) By the looks of it, you might be getting physical with certain members of the public that need help getting on and off LRT.
3) RRSP -- no DB pension.
4) Shift premium? It doesn't mention it. I'm guessing this is the reason for the range? Or is $62-$65,000 because of "steps". As in, $62,000 Step 1, $63,000 Step 2....etc

I ask this, because, GRT drivers probably make close to the same, do the same type of work, but; they have OMERS. There would also be shift premium for afternoons/evening work and weekend work.
(05-31-2018, 03:53 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 03:10 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/864...-positons/

Serious question: Is $62,000 - $65,000 a good pay for this?

2) By the looks of it, you might be getting physical with certain members of the public that need help getting on and off LRT.
4) Shift premium? It doesn't mention it. I'm guessing this is the reason for the range? Or is $62-$65,000 because of "steps". As in, $62,000 Step 1, $63,000 Step 2....etc

I ask this, because, GRT drivers probably make close to the same, do the same type of work, but; they have OMERS.  There would also be shift premium for afternoons/evening work and weekend work.

It's competitive. Those are just starting wage rates I would assume. I would also assume there are a number of benefits that aren't defined there.
(05-31-2018, 03:53 PM)jeffster Wrote: Serious question: Is $62,000 - $65,000 a good pay for this?

I ask this, because, GRT drivers probably make close to the same, do the same type of work, but; they have OMERS.  There would also be shift premium for afternoons/evening work and weekend work.

TTC drivers start at around $25/h. That's roughly $52,000 as an annual salary. And I think it's safe to assume that GRT isn't paying significantly higher than TTC. Shift premiums and defined-benefit pensions may make up the difference to the Grandlinq salary range, though.
(05-31-2018, 03:53 PM)jeffster Wrote: Serious question: Is $62,000 - $65,000 a good pay for this?

In practice, this will be a much less public facing role than that of a GRT driver. The LRT driver sits in an entirely separated cab, and have no role in fare enforcement. When they have to interact with the public, it will be limited to only as they're getting in and out of the driver's seat, or when a very serious situation arises.

Passengers should need very little help - the platforms are designed to be flush with the LRV floors and folks should be able to easily walk/roll on and off. No ramp deployments or other procedures. Questions about travel should be handled by the help points on the platforms, though I suppose if you do get confused en route the driver would be called on. Fare enforcement is completely separate from driving.
(05-31-2018, 05:18 PM)KevinL Wrote: Passengers should need very little help - the platforms are designed to be flush with the LRV floors and folks should be able to easily walk/roll on and off. No ramp deployments or other procedures. Questions about travel should be handled by the help points on the platforms, though I suppose if you do get confused en route the driver would be called on. Fare enforcement is completely separate from driving.

The driver is in a separate cab. I wouldn’t expect there to be any interaction with the public except in emergency situations, and possibly a “good morning” as they enter or exit the cab at the end of the line.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »