Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
Final 2018 service plan proposal is here.

Update on fare card is here.

Updated on northfield depot here.

Moving Forward Master plan here.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(05-25-2018, 09:20 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Final 2018 service plan proposal is here.

Worth noting is the 5.8% increase in Q1 2018 ridership and the continuous ridership increases since September 2017.
(05-25-2018, 09:20 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Final 2018 service plan proposal is here.

Great to see the farecard launching in the summer.  Perhaps I won't have to buy more paper tickets.

The Moving Forward plan seems essentially unchanged from last time we saw it, which is sad given that about half the feedback calls out the weak investment in active transportation.

I think this phrasing bugs me the most today:

"Identify opportunities to upgrade facilities to improve separation from traffic, such as separated bike lanes or multi-use trails"

That, to me, reeks of, "we'll put bike lanes where convenient...where there are 'opportunities'...and not where it is difficult or important."
Ridesharing, taxis pitched as alternatives to GRT
(05-29-2018, 01:05 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Ridesharing, taxis pitched as alternatives to GRT

Quote:Regional officials estimate that the Waterloo service would receive 10,600 rides over 10 months, the Kitchener service 5,700 and the Cambridge service 3,800.

It is estimated that running the three services for 10 months would cost a little more than $210,000, while bringing in about $33,000 in fare revenue.

So that's about 20 rides per day for the Kitchener pilot, and 35 per day in Waterloo. The cost per ride is about $20 on average, with a 15% recovery rate.

How is this a transit alternative?
(05-29-2018, 02:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-29-2018, 01:05 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Ridesharing, taxis pitched as alternatives to GRT

Quote:Regional officials estimate that the Waterloo service would receive 10,600 rides over 10 months, the Kitchener service 5,700 and the Cambridge service 3,800.

It is estimated that running the three services for 10 months would cost a little more than $210,000, while bringing in about $33,000 in fare revenue.

So that's about 20 rides per day for the Kitchener pilot, and 35 per day in Waterloo. The cost per ride is about $20 on average, with a 15% recovery rate.

It goes door to door. And ridesharing is fashionable. And you don't have to share your transit with the unwashed masses. *eyeroll*

...but yeah. Take the quarter mil and spend it on more buses and drivers. Or some kilometres of protected cycle track. Or anything else that invests in the region instead of having nothing to show for it at the end.
Has anyone heard yet if they are raising fares again in July or not? I don't remember hearing anything yet.

(05-29-2018, 06:45 PM)chutten Wrote:
(05-29-2018, 02:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: So that's about 20 rides per day for the Kitchener pilot, and 35 per day in Waterloo. The cost per ride is about $20 on average, with a 15% recovery rate.

It goes door to door. And ridesharing is fashionable. And you don't have to share your transit with the unwashed masses. *eyeroll*

...but yeah. Take the quarter mil and spend it on more buses and drivers. Or some kilometres of protected cycle track. Or anything else that invests in the region instead of having nothing to show for it at the end.

RideCo's business model is all about shared rides.. so you may have to share with up to 3 other "unwashed masses".  (and they are Waterloo based, so at least we picked a local company over Uber/Lyft)

Coke
(05-30-2018, 07:44 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: Has anyone heard yet if they are raising fares again in July or not? I don't remember hearing anything yet.

I can't find a definitive link, but it was previously announced that there would be no fare increase this year.
Paving at Conestoga Mall means the bus terminal has to be relocated for a week starting June 11. Temporary bays will be setup in the parking across from the new SportChek. Details here: https://www.facebook.com/GRTROW/photos/a...=3&theater
GRT has a new trip planning tool.

GRT Next Ride.

I really like the clean, uncluttered look. Wish there was a way to hide the Twitter pane though. Seems to load and update fast (on desktop at least).

No Twitter pane on mobile, so a basic clean design there.
(06-12-2018, 12:03 AM)KevinL Wrote: No Twitter pane on mobile, so a basic clean design there.

Does it redirect to a different URL? If so, what is it?

https://nextride.grt.ca/mob almost works.

(06-12-2018, 12:41 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(06-12-2018, 12:03 AM)KevinL Wrote: No Twitter pane on mobile, so a basic clean design there.

Does it redirect to a different URL? If so, what is it?

https://nextride.grt.ca/mob almost works.

It's built on the principles of responsive design. There is no separate mobile-only url. It is the same page but it doesn't render the twitter pane on smaller screens. you can simulate this by simply shrinking the browser window.
And if I turn my phone sideways, the twitter pane appears on the right.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »