Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-16-2018, 03:18 PM)Canard Wrote: Ok, but you get why I’m asking right? It’s just weird they don’t just say “Carl can you protect the intersection?” They always say “Paid-Duty Police Officers, please protect the Wilson Intersection”. Like it’s VERY CLEAR that they are being paid.

I fully understand that they’re paid separately or whatever, it’s just the fact that they announce it over and over that I find odd.

I think a lot of that is due to the fact that the Paid-Duty Police Officers are different every day while the testing team isn't. That and the fact that the radio protocol (that they don't follow as much as they should) is to not say names over the EDACS radio.

(06-16-2018, 03:18 PM)Canard Wrote: Ok, but you get why I’m asking right? It’s just weird they don’t just say “Carl can you protect the intersection?” They always say “Paid-Duty Police Officers, please protect the Wilson Intersection”. Like it’s VERY CLEAR that they are being paid.

I fully understand that they’re paid separately or whatever, it’s just the fact that they announce it over and over that I find odd.

Members of the public would be upset if they thought their tax dollars were being used to support "outside activities" by the cops.  Specifying "paid duty" puts, er ..., paid to that.
(04-15-2018, 10:13 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-15-2018, 08:39 AM)Canard Wrote: LOL!  You make it sound like ours and Toronto's orders are the only ones Bombardier has ever done around the entire world.

They are doing just fine.  A little behind on our project, yes - but Kingston has handed a poorly-managed project from another plant and have turned it around incredibly rapidly.  Historically, Kingston has delivered on every single project in their entire history successfully.
Canard. Why are you laughing at my response. You are the first person on here to get upset if someone is even a little bit disrespectful in your view.  

May I remind you that New York city just shut bombardier out. Add Toronto et al.  You can laugh at me if you want but if this compnay docent get serious about how is manages itself, it's days are numbered . I truly hope I am wrong because I want a Canadian company to suceed. But right now. The reality is they are incompetent.  Put your bias a side and look at their unproven results.

(06-16-2018, 03:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote: At least in most cities, a "paid duty officer" is an off-duty officer (ie outside normal working hours) that is contracted out to provide some kind of private services outside normal policing duties. They probably get paid overtime rates as the hourly rates are quite high ($70 or thereabouts).
You are correct. Paid duty means the officer is being paid by the third party requesting the service. There is no direct impact on the police budget. The pay is shown on a separate T-4a for income. Tax which the officer must submitt for taxes.   The department will collect a separate amount of money for administration fees as well as a separate fee if a cruiser is utilized.
(06-16-2018, 06:05 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Members of the public would be upset if they thought their tax dollars were being used to support "outside activities" by the cops.  Specifying "paid duty" puts, er ..., paid to that.

How many people do you think are listening in to the radio feed?

(06-16-2018, 08:18 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: You are correct. Paid duty means the officer is being paid by the third party requesting the service. There is no direct impact on the police budget. The pay is shown on a separate T-4a for income. Tax which the officer must submitt for taxes.   The department will collect a separate amount of money for administration fees as well as a separate fee if a cruiser is utilized.

Again, you've missed my point - I'm not disputing this and fully understand that they are being paid by GrandLinq.

What I'm questioning is why they over, and over, and over say "Paid Duty Police Officer" on the radio - a (for all intents and purposes) closed, private radio channel.  It just seems so strange to me.

Anyway, let's move on...
(04-15-2018, 10:13 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-15-2018, 08:39 AM)Canard Wrote: LOL!  You make it sound like ours and Toronto's orders are the only ones Bombardier has ever done around the entire world.

They are doing just fine.  A little behind on our project, yes - but Kingston has handed a poorly-managed project from another plant and have turned it around incredibly rapidly.  Historically, Kingston has delivered on every single project in their entire history successfully.
Canard. Why are you laughing at my response. You are the first person on here to get upset if someone is even a little bit disrespectful in your view.  

May I remind you that New York city just shut bombardier out. Add Toronto et al.  You can laugh at me if you want but if this compnay docent get serious about how is manages itself, it's days are numbered . I truly hope I am wrong because I want a Canadian company to suceed. But right now. The reality is they are incompetent.  Put your bias a side and look at their unproven results.

(06-16-2018, 09:31 PM)Canard Wrote:
(06-16-2018, 06:05 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Members of the public would be upset if they thought their tax dollars were being used to support "outside activities" by the cops.  Specifying "paid duty" puts, er ..., paid to that.

How many people do you think are listening in to the radio feed?

(06-16-2018, 08:18 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: You are correct. Paid duty means the officer is being paid by the third party requesting the service. There is no direct impact on the police budget. The pay is shown on a separate T-4a for income. Tax which the officer must submitt for taxes.   The department will collect a separate amount of money for administration fees as well as a separate fee if a cruiser is utilized.

Again, you've missed my point - I'm not disputing this and fully understand that they are being paid by GrandLinq.

What I'm questioning is why they over, and over, and over say "Paid Duty Police Officer" on the radio - a (for all intents and purposes) closed, private radio channel.  It just seems so strange to me.

Anyway, let's move on...
Because that is the proper nomenclature for the position. It is really that simple.
its probably to clarify that there is no incident or rush.
(06-16-2018, 09:31 PM)Canard Wrote: Again, you've missed my point - I'm not disputing this and fully understand that they are being paid by GrandLinq.

Protocol, and it probably annoys them as much as it annoys you.

(06-17-2018, 03:28 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-16-2018, 09:31 PM)Canard Wrote: Again, you've missed my point - I'm not disputing this and fully understand that they are being paid by GrandLinq.

Protocol, and it probably annoys them as much as it annoys you.

I explained it already,  it is the proper call sign for a Paid Duty officer.  It is a universally accepted term.   And it doesn't annoy them. We use that language all the time on the police radio too.  It is utilized by most agencies.
506 is out today - spotted moving northbound on Charles past Cedar.
Somebody on Twitter is claiming we will have all our vehicles in 12 days. That doesn’t seem likely to me — it would be one every 2 days for the rest of the month. Does anybody remember the latest advertised delivery schedule?
(06-18-2018, 08:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Somebody on Twitter is claiming we will have all our vehicles in 12 days. That doesn’t seem likely to me — it would be one every 2 days for the rest of the month. Does anybody remember the latest advertised delivery schedule?

There is no advertised delivery schedule. Only a commitment that the vehicles will be all completed by the end of June. Not necessarily all delivered by the end of June. We find out more progress information tomorrow at the P&W Committee meeting.
We have Grade Crossing Signal testing from Mill to Fairway happening today!!!
June 21
Luck out stopping off in Kitchener on my way to London to caught 506 in testing between Mills Station and Fairview Mall. If I have visited before 12 pm, I wouldn't have caught these videos. Testing was to start at 8:00 am, but started after 12 pm.

Every intersections had police officer on duty as well the contractor.

No idea what the plan is for communication, but the driver had a hand-held device that was moved from end to end and clip to the control panel.

Found the horn weak for crossing the road.

Car was slow arriving at Fairview Station, but it sure jack rabbit departing the station.

https://youtu.be/3nbFfKIDMnU
https://youtu.be/tj0xhnIwp-4
https://youtu.be/M7ej_4y9ewI
https://youtu.be/qcvQvJ1Ee98
https://youtu.be/ZiZthBARYxs
https://youtu.be/iLOmLf0Q3ns

It seems needlessly disruptive to have those bells for the pedestrian gates. Is the situation the same in other places like Calgary or Edmonton? Surely there is a less disruptive sound signal that could be used in that context.

Also, the signals seem really slow to stop after the LRT has passed. I could have sworn that signals for train crossings normally stop almost immediately after they clear the crossing.
Jamincan - none of the crossing timing is complete yet. They spend weeks running trains back and forth, with people at every crossing calling out warning times, recovery times, etc.. then they make a tweak, then try again.

It’s baffling to me how 50+ year old standard crossing signals are taking so long to get right.

My point: don’t use the current status of the warning gates as an indicator of how they’ll be when they’re done.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »