Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downtown outdoor spaces
(06-23-2018, 10:21 PM)kps Wrote: Both are than the current state.

It's about.

I like the circle design more. I think it lends itself better to ceremonies.
I would like to see the Cenotaph moved to Victoria Park where there's more room.
(06-24-2018, 08:07 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-23-2018, 10:21 PM)kps Wrote: Both are than the current state.

It's about.

The space is but probably not.
(06-24-2018, 08:33 AM)jgsz Wrote: I would like to see the Cenotaph moved to Victoria Park where there's more room.

They only need space around it one day a year. I think the current location works fine.
(06-24-2018, 08:35 AM)jamincan Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 08:07 AM)jeffster Wrote: It's about.

The space is but probably not.

They don't think it be like it is. But it do.
(06-24-2018, 10:57 AM)notmyfriends Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 08:35 AM)jamincan Wrote: The space is but probably not.

I thought I was missing something in these responses.... but I think I wasn't....

coke

(06-24-2018, 10:57 AM)notmyfriends Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 08:35 AM)jamincan Wrote: The space is but probably not.

“To be is to do” — Socrates
“To do is to be” — Sartre
“Oo do be do be do” — Sinatra
The "participatory budgeting" exercise for Sandhills Park improvements has come up with the following elements.  The budget is $115,000.

- chess table,
- community events space,
- natural playground (logs, timbers, rocks),
- permanent garbage can,
- swing set,
- site clean-up (dead trees, overgrowth, weeds, etc.),
- benches,
- edible plantings/food forest*,
- native perennial and shrub plantings.
* Community volunteers will be needed to care for the edible forest.  (my bold)

https://www.kitchener.ca/en/city-service...eting.aspx#
(07-19-2018, 10:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The "participatory budgeting" exercise for Sandhills Park improvements has come up with the following elements.  The budget is $115,000.

- chess table,
- community events space,
- natural playground (logs, timbers, rocks),
- permanent garbage can,
- swing set,
- site clean-up (dead trees, overgrowth, weeds, etc.),
- benches,
- edible plantings/food forest*,
- native perennial and shrub plantings.
* Community volunteers will be needed to care for the edible forest.  (my bold)

https://www.kitchener.ca/en/city-service...eting.aspx#

The plan has been published:
[Image: INS_OPS_PARKS_SANDHILLS_CONCEPT_JPEG.jpg]
Do they have to buy land for this? How does logs, rocks, and a chess table add up to $115,000
No. I expect that most of the cost is labour, just as with most landscaping projects, whether home or commercial. If you go take a look at the park now, I think you will see that there is quite a lot of work needed.
Things add up.

I haven't looked at the plan in detail, but mature trees with a root ball can cost between $500-$1000 installed. (I count seven in the plan, $7000)
Armour stone (square blocks for sitting on) can cost $1000 installed (I count about about 30 in the seating area, $30,000)
Commercial grade benches can cost between $500-$1000 if you want something to last longer than a season.

(10-29-2018, 01:14 PM)nms Wrote: Things add up.

I haven't looked at the plan in detail, but mature trees with a root ball can cost between $500-$1000 installed.  (I count seven in the plan, $7000)
Armour stone (square blocks for sitting on) can cost $1000 installed (I count about about 30 in the seating area, $30,000)
Commercial grade benches can cost between $500-$1000 if you want something to last longer than a season.

Even the top-notch garbage cans are expensive, and I expect that this is what we will see here, too.

[Image: csm_MolokClassic_aluminium_red_f53472d44...0803047054]
(10-29-2018, 01:14 PM)nms Wrote: Things add up.

I haven't looked at the plan in detail, but mature trees with a root ball can cost between $500-$1000 installed.  (I count seven in the plan, $7000)

I seem to recall the Fords, or people like them, trying to stir up controversy in Toronto over the cost of the sunshades at Sugar Beach. Turns out that the sunshades you can buy at Canadian Tire for your backyard have a much lower sticker price than the ones they use for public parks. Of course, the cheap sunshades are as unsuitable for public park use as the Fords are as leaders.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »